Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHELBY COBRA restomod >real alu dash>high gloss paint

crazyrichard

thnx ville :)

well the windshield saga >>>>

long story but i chopped the original windshield .. i did not have the molding around the glass .. got this kit from a guy and didnt have the molding ...

after thinking long and hard how to fix the glass to the body , you have to have something to glue on and a glass edge is to small and that looks silly .....

i made a alunimium strip with a radius both vertical and horizontal ... vertical to follow the bodys curves and vertical to follow the shape of the "glass"..

now after a while i screwed it up .. and lost the original windshield ....

i have clear sheet stuff that can be heatformed etc .. that is great stuff you caan even cut it with scissors and it wont splinter .. you can bend it and you cant break it .. even not when folded over and pressed on .. its flexible clear glass .. got that @ a modelstore some day ..

well made a new piece of glas and gave it a curve by bending ..then altered the alu strip to match the body and glass curves and got it right this time ..managed to glue the glass on the alu strip without glue on the glass ...

made the edge of the glas black with a marker and added a brass round strip ti hide the edge where the glass is glued on the alu

e547318d1add7ed9484f933507d905f8.jpg

then got this you see some alu under the brass

9b3745159642e3b12ac8facb3e20f73a.jpg

here is a shot of the alu strip that acts as a glue surface to glue the windshield to the body , also shows the cusrver both horizontal and vertical ..

again that strip cost a lot of effort

fb1999bbd2a783e089607192ffdebbeb.jpg

on the cobra body .. now this was my initial idea a strip under and just glass with black edges

dc010fad3e912c75a7c952510de41b3d.jpg

but then tried the brass wire and bend it around as a molding and that looked way more convincing ..

6b896af2cb4cc31075ad12f7cb022c2f.jpg

much more like a windshield

a90adaba03409c0523e546c60007aced.jpg

close up one small glue thingy on the black edge .. repainted that .. but this is a close up and on the car and with the steering wheel behind the glass you hardly notice it

80d2d047537f6ca56f43e99b406d887e.jpg

73eaa2e27f70e70677eb8a2227159de5.jpg

now its hard to decide what to do wit the brass .. i kind of liked the look like this but maybe not so realistic ?? brass molding ??

wont be silver or chrome dont fit with the colorsceme .. already tried something like that ....

Edited by crazyrichard

Great solution you came up with and thanks for the detailed description you've provided.  I'm sure at some point I'll have need of it.  Wouldn't know what to offer as a color for the brass frame but after having this turn out so well, I don't think that will be a challenge for you.   Again, very nice and thanks for sharing with all of use.  Cheers, Tim

thnx tim !

well just masked the glass and sprayed it black . i thought after thats dry clear coat everything , including the glass for some extra gloss ..

looked good but on the top edge i saw a small bit of brass shining through .. graabbed my can and sprayed ..and it was the grey color of the body .. by accident

so now its grey .... i think i will leave it like that .. maybe a black frame would be nice and balances the rest like the wheel and hood .. but a grey gloss frame hmm might not look that bad ?

well started all over and went more for the stock look ... also the paint just didnt work out ... the whole windscreen and glass just was not clean enough ..

now this is  more stock hight window .. will get side posts that attach to the body more like the original way ..

after a few more steps > gluing it all together , polished it , clear coated the whole window so glass and the brass , both front and back

cobra decal in the corner to hide a small superglue stain that could not be polished out (polishing this is hard to begin with because its softer acrylic that cant break or splinter)

thnx and yes going towards the end .. but i dont want to rush it .. all is still loose and not fixed together .. wanted to make a windshiel since i didnt have the frame in my kit .. that was the biggest thing ..

but there are some small things left .. make axle pins for the wheels .. and paint the inside of the body and the inside of the front vent .. and the oil cooler ...

then mount the radiator .. oh and i still have the exhausts ,, being a revell kit one side almost toutches the header and the other side is miles off .. so i want to bend like a sleeve in the 4 pipes together shape that slides on the end of the header and the pipe slides in from the outside ..

this kit def. makes you dryfit so many times due to fitment issues and when you change a lot like going lower ...pfftt lol .. but tbh i like that ..whe it all go's together perfect and no changes just paint and fit together thats not my thing

oh forgot i want to try and makea heatshield with holes from superthin brass plate .. bend in a round shape ..

Edited by crazyrichard

well made the sideposts of the windshield black , the alu was just to bright for the bodycolors .....

then the seem between the window surounding and the posts didnt look nice ..so i made brass covers used round brass wire and flattened it then bend and made the ends run into the frame

rear vieuw mirror , not the kit mirror .. this one was nicer .. dechromed it exept the mirror and sprayes it black and then clear coat .. will sit on top of the bdy in the middle

window 3.0 .... pulled it apart .. will change the mount way .. add a lower bar like it had before .. prime > black > clear and then mount glass inside ... i just loved the brass just dont fit with this theme .. all grey and black

and then i can do details like the yellow gear knob that matches the steering wheel stripe

Richard,

I have followed your build with interest because you have excellent skills and workmanship. You've made wonderful details to enhance your build ideas.

I know that traditional Cobra accuracy was not your plan so your custom version is very creative. However, you are battling some inherent flaws in every small scale Cobra kit on the market. The flaws are basic and affect everything else. Your windscreen work is wonderful scratch building. But not like a real car's 'screen.

The reason is the molding of the body in the cowl area; the cowl at the center of the dash is raised above the fender planes at the doors more than the kit makers get them. This makes the glass and frame too flat at top and bottom. Your side legs (brackets) are very well done. But the 'screen has more bow (curvature) from side to side. It's not straight across. The black rubber water shield is in a channel in the bottom of the cross piece and overlaps the body about 1/2". You've got the frame commendably thin but it really needs to be PE in 1/25 scale with .010 acetate for glass.

Here is mine and you can clearly see the curvatures and raised cowl area. I know, even if you wanted to, you can't add fill to this finished car to correct the body. Maybe if you try another. But that raised area tapers forward and down the hood center making 'valleys' where they meet the raised fenders. Meaning a new or built-up hood too. This is never right on plastic models and most full sized replicas. The rear deck also has the pronounced curvature. It's what makes Cobras beautiful shapes. A word on roll bars; mine, being level with the w'screen top, is too low and I was not permitted on certain tracks. The correct ones are about 1 1/2" higher. Your helmet must be below the plane of the 'screen and bar.

Here is mine; I hope these are helpful to you should you have further Cobra building interest.

Picture%20035%20M_zps89bgwxse.jpg

Picture%20019mod%20II%20M_zps7shdset9.jp

Edited by Cato

whouw thats yours ?? awsome looking cobra ..about exactly how i would want it to look if i had one myself ..

and .yes i study-ed cobra pictures ans also noticed my cobr had a more flat earea around where the windshield go's ...

i never tried to copy a real window ..i just made something .. the one i have now is infact very narrow .. and low ..i tried some things to try and give it a more sleek look .. to keep it looking like a cobra but at the same time have a new fresh look / lines ...

so my window will be narrow and low .. i figured sme have those very small curved windows so i could do what i want .. now i did want to resemble the original window in some way .. shape wise .. its more like it looks a tad like .......

so indeed just a free hand custom way ...without ruining (or at east i'm trying) the lines of the cobra ..

the roll bar .. i understand .. irl you want a higher one , you want 3 legs at least .. now i added a 3th leg on nthe rear .. just did not look nice .. visually .. just one bow and low looked great .. again a compromise on looks and flow of the lines .. when its done and all together i want it to look fast standing still ...

so yes i understand all you are saying and thnx for all the input ! much apriciated !!!

here is the frame all painted back and with a good coat of clear

i now know this was the way to go i put it loose on the body ...and man in this exact same gloss black as the rest .. just fits perfect and way nicer then bras or alu .. really completes the whole theme ...

glass will be different i will use some superthin sheet stuff .. back of the frame is now flat so i can glue the glass on the back .. have some depth in the frame and glass and then just make the edges of the glass back before gluing it on ..

with the angle then it cant be seen ...

one minour challenge will be gluing the frame with glass on the body ... just  tiny bit of contact earea and with the angle it will want to fall back ..

i want to make a alu strip sand it as thin as possible make it flat blck and glue the frame on that that will look like a rubber strip ..and give me contact surface