Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHELBY COBRA restomod >real alu dash>high gloss paint

crazyrichard

thnx guys and bob no sweat .. i miss stuff here all the time and then when i look trhough the topics i find cool stuff ... i used to follow almost everything here ...but it took so much time i now look more random (not every day that is)  and quicker and try to reply more in the weekends on builds here :)

Edited by crazyrichard

man ....it was dry enough to carefully andle it and very loose put the rims together in the tyre ..and i love it

still in doubt if i will high goss clear coat it or keep it satin .. kinda looks stealth now..

hood showed some scratches under the paint so that needs redoing .. still black i never sprayed that grey ..put it on in black and hmmm kind of looks cool

breaks the grey and matches the wheels ! so maybe keep the hood black and do the headlight and taillight bezels black .....chrome wont get you home lol

yuuup clear coating was / is so much nicer ...just hit it with some high gloss clear

1st pic is shot right after the clear went on the white edge on spots are normal with this clear aways does that and always go's chrystal clear very quick

after a short while and a tad dryer

the color really pops now and gives a rich deep reflection

the hood pffft drama , needed to stri everything off .. because the look of the car i drilled holes for fasteners and cut 2 lines from the scoop to the front , i hoe to make the center lower and make like a air guide channel

bezels painted

taillights .. man those are tiny .. luckely i managed to make the sides of the bezels black , keep the reflectors chrome and glue on the lenses without ruining them :)

did this to the hood ... 4 holes for fasterners all made conical and i kind of tooka  risk and cut and scribed lines from the scoop to the front ..

now i could pint the hood grey like the body and mask and spray the scoop and the line forwards black ...

now its realy still as grey as before bt night pics in the kitchen and some how the surrounding makes the body look green hahaha ...

and man its like glass ...really not one wrinkle not one wrinkle or orange peel ...its just smooth as glass .. almost scary .. like its been wetsanded and polished .. while its not ..

but you dont hear me complain ... i'm real happy

thnx guys and its just rattle can high gloss clear from a ducth diy market .. always does that but turns clear after that

first very loose dryfit all a bit wonky all is loose

alu dash looks weird on this pic because the light utside was bright direct on the dash

i think my best gloss build so far .. i'm more of a weathering and rust builder ... funny the idea was to make this one real oldskool , racy and make it dirty like its been racing .. what i ended up with is a streetmachine gloss with a racy feel ...lol

thnx guys and bob .. i spray outside in the yard ...i have a old bench with some wood on it .. just outside and spray .. then walk to the house and put it in the closet .....i also think sme paints atrackt more dust as others .. this is all srattle can paint .. i only use rattle cans because i like them they last long and i dont have to clean the airbrush every time lol... and this paint quickly gives a sort of hardning effect on the outer layer ...

but when ever you paint anything with either a rattle can or a airbrush ...make sure there is no dust in the earea .. its like when you spray the pressure of spraying can trow up dust ....but i'm sure you know that just saying ....

that said ....i had 2 little dust specs in my cobra body .. i just rubbed soft with a cloth after hardening and made it smoother , did not polish it .. and after clear coat you can hardly see them .. thing is with a very curvy body ounce you start polishing a dust spec out the risk of going through .. hmmm ... oh and sometimes its a matter of luck because the hood of the cobra needed to be redone ... dust on that ...and because its a small piece and center .....

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx wayne !!

the hood is a fail again .. just cant get a smooth lyer of paint on it .. sometimes you fight one part and this time its the hood .. but i will keep doing it over untill i'm happy

put the headlights together , the units are not from the kit those where misshaped ,, so i used these from the partsbox .. lenses are from the cobra kit ..

put a rod in so it looks like there is a bulb inside

very loose on the car not centered and not rotated so the lenses sit correct , just a for an idea shot

also a very loose fit .. just loosely on there .. man the lenses are spot on and one of the nicest i have seen in a kit .. the reflectors look stunning , way better then some plain red lenses you see in kits

the edge of the > LETS SAY airbox > was a bit ugy due to al the handeling .. i made a template of paper .cut it out.. gued that on the edge and made that black with a marker .. irl it looks nicer then on the picture .. now its a nice matte edge again and the plus is the paper will never go shiney if its rubbed or toutched .. and snce the aircleaner will remain removabe with a steel pin , matte black paint will go shiney over time