Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHELBY COBRA restomod >real alu dash>high gloss paint

crazyrichard

In all, an excellent solution for your custom design. A friend had built his with a Lexan shield, half the height of the regular 'screen. It had no framed edges and curved slightly at the ends to meet the doors. It was more of a clear wind deflector. Makes the car look even lower and wider.

thnx guys !

yes i had an ide like that only use glass .. but then i would have done it before paint ... would have to make something to mount it on before ...any pictures of that window you mentioned ??

Sadly no Richard, quite a while ago. But try the gallery at the Kirkham Motorsports site because the car was a Kirkham.

its not in the galery cato .. but no worry's :)

altered the window yet again one side was 1 mm higher then the other .. now put in the glass and then clear coated it .. looks very nice

put the roll bar on .. made steelpis in the bottom , holes in the body .. due to the clear coat that was the only way its so smooth i worryed it would silde and leave glue marks

also put the headlights and tails on ...

just put some high gloss clear red on the tail lenses .. really makes them pop and aso restores the edges i had to sand

head light lenses .. man those really came to life with some clear gloss .. they really shine and are more clear .. the bulb i made inside now reall shows .... very happy with the lights now

sun was shining inside trhough the window ..took 2 pics right away , gave a real cool shine to the paint ....

also changed the gass cap .. was to clean and not perfectly round .. i looked at the car and the front is rather bulky with the scoop and later the window .. rear was too clean ... like it didnt match .. only the roll bar was sticking out ...

so glued in a conical steel round thing (dont know what it is something i collected for my parts boxes )

no sun and the paint is darker and more blue-ish ... but here the gass cap .. sanded it as flat as possible so it doesnt stick out to high (its not the kit gass cap).

so now it breaks the line a bit .. i dig it

thnx guys !

well finaly after lots of swearing got a strip under the windshield that can be the contact surface to glue it on the body .. just yesterday i was gluing it on with superglue (one second glue?) and it just didnt want to stick .. almost ws like i was trying to glue it together using water .. only things wanted to glue where my fingers ..

after a few hours i sanded the whole bottom edge back to brass put glue on the plastic strip and voila tight as a ........?

now i can dryfit and go and set the ange and forward position

here it is just put on held by a wooden stick .. not set in the right position

getting close to completion , last few things

we all know the bodys from the revell cobra are twisted .. i thought .. i had that fixed .. but no now al is coming together .. i made steel wheel axles put the wheels on the chassis , then the body on the chassis ... 2 issues it sits fairly level and on all 4 tyres but one side looks a tad different stance wise .. also the hood issue .. i thought and dryfitted so i "KNEW" that when the body was fixed the hood would sit flush ...

wrong .. so i had to take of the airbox and carb.. and lower the airbox from the bottom .. that worked and now it all fits and the hood fits perfect

85921c87a12ed02b8a19813809488990.jpg

then i wanted to make the hood pins .. googled and figured these would look cool >

MiniMini2.jpg

took a big chance and drilled the holes bigger , i had chrome beads ...

88c92c72981f3f86ff68d9de875ece7b.jpg

gued those in the holes

1eeef70c78a9925a76c58974e7f03971.jpg

on the top 2 they are closed with a steel pin with flat head that fits exactly in the bead , leaving a see so it looks like it can be pressed and can move

2856f6ff5b7c884b42f7ef1c08bd17ac.jpg

in total this is what i have now > also put on a rear vieuw mirror , found a nice oval one ...

e2777d3354fec4d57811163b80f2a5b3.jpg

i had a slight gluemark beside one hole .. so i slightly polished it and gave it a thin coat of clear

close up  ..

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys ...and eric i have one but the corner is chipped ...or lets say a piece of the circle , the other one is on the dash .. so sadly no

but .. i finished it .. will make some nice pics tomorrow in daylight (its 19:23 in the evening here now) ... and post it in under glass ....

only thing issing are seat belts .. i still want to order some sets .. when i have some i wil put seat belts in the cobra ...