Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX; Hood Striping

Roadrunner

It was Duplicolor sandable white primer. I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until after I applied color, then every tiny scratch and flaw became immediately visible. Seems to be OK now though.

Oh, and thanks very much for the compliment. I think it has the potential to turn out real nice.

Edited by Roadrunner

It was Duplicolor sandable white primer. I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until after I applied color, then every tiny scratch and flaw became immediately visible. Seems to be OK now though.

Oh, and thanks very much for the compliment. I think it has the potential to turn out real nice.

Thanks a lot, Kevin! It will turn out very nice!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I was finally able to get the black lacquer to enable me to paint the lower portion of car. I took a chance and spray bombed it, and much to my surprise, the Testors can gave me no problems whatsoever, going on as smooth as silk. Not much of an update perhaps, but at least a little progress. Still some more touch-ups to do to the Root Beer, then I’m ready for clear coats.

gtx 03 005.jpg

I feel that the end of the wet sanding/polishing is drawing near, so I’ll now be moving on to the interior. I was able to gather some stock interior color information from the web, so I’ll be going black and wood grain, with some chrome trim. Should look OK, I think.

gtx 02 02 16 003.jpg

gtx 02 02 16 004.jpg

The more I dig into this kit, the more I like it; two complete engines, and some real nice looking hood hinges, as opposed to the normal lumps I've seen. The engines are a bit odd though, separate heads (typical), but with plain blobs to represent the rocker arms. Both blocks have cylinder openings, but no pistons as such, just recesses. I can't begin to imagine why they molded them that way. Anyway, with this being curbside (like most of my efforts), I'll just throw the engines and associated parts into the spares box.

Rear end now installed. I realized once I saw this photo , that I've forgotten to add the rear shocks, so I'll go do that in a little while. I want to have the exhaust tips showing, so I've put in the muffler/tailpipe assemblies, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

frame 2 001.jpg