Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would love to know the back story....

Ah, that makes sense :)

Looks like it has a topper from a pickup put on it. I wonder how much one could salvage from this lot. With some careful use of tools and maybe after a time in the freezer one could possibly get most parts off and hopefully be able to strip most of the paint.

Someone had models, balsa wood, odd paints and lots of glue! 

That person probably got told that those are old models and probably worth a bunch, hence the experiment began!

Odds are these might be from an estate sale and they have not clue what they are even selling. 

To each their own. More power to ya. Whatever floats your boat. I guess what I am trying to get out is I am just happy to see the hobby taking in as many directions as possible and that one is definitely a difference direction.  Thank you.     

Jeff 

If you actually look at what's in the photos, it's apparent many of the models are really dirty...the kind of grime that comes from years of open storage. The newest subject is the red circa-2001 Mopar-looking thing second down, top left...so this builder was still working at least as late as that.

The shaky detail painting implies either a very young or a very old builder, or someone with impaired motor control.

The work all appears to have been done by the same person, but the colors are interesting...as though the builder was given one color to work with for each model.

The modifications, though very poorly done, appear to me to be too ambitious for a very young builder...especially the woody conversions, which wouldn't have much relevance to a child...

The obsession with station-wagons (the one exception being the stretch-limo, third down from top right) is interesting, but so is the apparent complete and utter lack of any appreciation of form and line.

And it would seem to me that anyone with the least semblance of a rational, critical-thinking-capable brain would have given up on this particular hobby after the third or fourth attempt having failed to produce anything remotely resembling good work.

My first guess was that these may have been built as a kind of occupational therapy by someone with problems...but...after looking at the seller's site, it appears this particular builder did many more models at a similar skill level. Probably not a kid, judging from the others.

The $99.99 asking bid is insane, as are the prices this seller has attached to other models on his auction site obviously from the same builder's collection. Apparently the seller has no more idea of what constitutes "good" and "value" than the builder had of the meaning of "craftsmanship".

If this is really the best someone can do and they enjoy it, fine, but it chaps my backside to see some clown offering this trash for money.

Whatever.

It seems Ebay has an entire sub-culture of idiots selling worthless garbage to idiots. Ain't technology grand.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I just made an offer!

"I'll take them off your hands if you ship them to me for free"?

Those models, as well as a large portion of the seller's others, are one person's therapy. Nothing more. They are not worth a penny in my world excpet to a family member or something.  It looks like they were stored in an attic or garage for years and the seller didn't even clean off the spider webs and or fecal matter. Don't even get me started on the price...