Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yenko Deuce Engine & Exhaust Donor?

Hi

I´m converting a ´72 Nova from AMT into a ´70 Yenko Deuce and need some input on the drive train. I have a ´69 Z/28 Camaro from Revell that has the exhaust with the unique mufflers. Was this exhaust style used on the Deuce aswell? I remember that I´ve read that this type of exhaust was needed to build something that has written Yenko on it. My fading memory has lead me to the conclusion that it probably wasn´t the Corvair Stinger... ^_^ ...any ideas regarding the mentioned exhaust? And what about the 302 from the Z/28? Is that block with the heads and valve covers a good starting point to make a 350 LT1 out of it?

I don't believe the '69 Camaro chambered exhaust was available on '70 Yenko Deuce, but I could stand to be corrected on that.

Yenko Deuce had a '70 LT-1 engine as used in '70 Z/28s and Corvettes. Nearly any SBC could be used as a starting point, adding the appropriate valve covers, intake, and carb if necessary. Google-image 1970 LT-1 or LT1 to see what it should look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1970+lt1+engine&biw=1253&bih=640&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS_7PDiYDKAhVIQyYKHQHpBCgQ_AUIBygC

Couldn't you use the drive train from one of the '69 Nova kits, or no?

Yes you could.  You would also need to source the specific decals for the Deuce (Fred Cady did a set which I have).  The original 69 Nova release (2-n-1) would be a good choice as it has the LT-1 engine, drive train, etc. 

Another source would be the AMT 70 1/2 Camaro Z/28 which has an LT-1 and does not have chambered exhausts. (I can go downstairs to the stash and confirm any questions on either of the two)

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I would suggest you start with the Revell '69 Nova instead of the AMT kit, as it's far better detailed, and includes a stock type exhaust with a cross-flow muffler setup like so:

The above orange chassis is a 1/25 Revell '69 Camaro, but the exhaust is from the 1/25 Revell '69 Nova kit.

Thanks for the information guys. I´ll modify the 302 engine that I have and will use the stock exhaust from the Nova kit. Decals from Keith Marks are on their way to me, too.

@Casey

I went for the AMT Nova on purpose as I´ve already had my hands on all three versions of the Revell Nova. I just don´t wanted another one. Another reason is the weird body lines of the Revell kit. The AMT Nova sure is a mess of an old kit, but it´s on spot with the proportions and it has tons of potential for detailing. The separate front fenders are a challenge to align and to blend into the body. But from there it´s just a fun kit to work on.

Scratchbuilt side window trim, rocker panel trim removed and there is a detail upgrade on the suspension in progress.

IMAG1097.thumb.jpg.46a876dc7bfa9e9b619c9

Paint is Tamiya rattle can TS-7 Racing White over Tamiya White Primer. I think it looks a little more classic than a in-your-face-yellow, especially when the wild black striping is done. Real Yenko Deuces were available in Gobi Beige and TS-7 is very close to the factory color.