Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

Nice work Larsen.  Yeah it's always quite around this cbp until the last two or so months then everyone's in a mad dash to finish (guilty of that myself lol).

Got a donor kit (Jeep Rubicon) and finally made it over to a hobby shop to pick up some styrene so I should be starting mine pretty soon.

Edited by TFchronos

Nice work Larsen.  Yeah it's always quite around this cbp until the last two or so months then everyone's in a mad dash to finish (guilty of that myself lol).

Got a donor kit (Jeep Rubicon) and finally made it over to a hobby shop to pick up some styrene so I should be starting mine pretty soon.

Funny you should say that Jonathan, I pretty much had mine done in 6 weeks...which is a first for me!

What's made it worse, is my new job that has kept me away from the bench since May.....I've had to pull out of the "Big Rig Build Off because I just don't have the time anymore.....

Looking forward to seeing some updates guys!

Okay, here's my deal...

I've been quiet all year because I haven't decided whether any models will get built this year. That said, I've assembled a chassis from the '84 GMC Plow Truck and have been goofing with some bodies. I'll declare my entry if I feel like somethings actually going to happen. 

The entries I've been seeing so far have been well thought out and executed. What folks have been showing so far is very exciting.

September check in for the Aussieball. I got some bench time in and got a rolling chassis. I didn't do the mods I wanted, mostly because of the limited room I had to add the other turbo. I did add a fabricated intercooler to the top of the engine and added a hump on the hood for clearance.

I'm spending a lot of time on the interior to reduce weight and give it a racing vibe. I fabricated a snorkel today and primed the body. Moving along at a decent pace now.

20160905_185916.jpg

I found this bit of info about Aussie modification rules. In particular the part about no roll cage. If you've got one you may want to hide it somehow. We are however scofflaws so...

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/vehicles-and-registration/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/chassis-and-body-modifications

Roll cages

Due to the increased risk of occupant injury in vehicle accidents, fitting full roll cages is not permitted. However, fitting a half roll cage rearward of the driver may be acceptable providing that:

• no part of the roll cage can be contacted by vehicle occupants when positioned in their normal seating position
  • the roll cage is at least 150 millimetres behind the front seat occupants when the front seats are located in the most rearward adjusted position
  • all rear seats and seat belt assemblies fitted in the rear compartment are removed
  • the operation and effectiveness of the front seat belt assemblies is not affected in any way by the roll cage
  • no person travels in the rear of the vehicle at any time
  • the vehicle has a seating inspection carried out by the Department of Planning, Transport

I thought full roll cages were for additional safety. :blink: But I imagine as Rob said it's mostly to keep race cars off the road 

Good spot Dennis, I didn't see that skimming through it back in Dec.- Jan. I'll put extra care into whatever I do for a roll cage.

I believe it is for safety reasons. A roll cage can make the occupant space of a vehicle structurally stronger, but it also introduces hard surfaces to the space. There are laws in place describing just how soft a dash panel needs to be, and to just which degree any interior detail cannot be pointy or edgy. In racing classes where a roll cage is required, additional requirements usually (if not always) include a helmet, an approved racing seat and at least a four-point harness to keep the driver firmly planted where he belongs. And then padding of any member that comes within a set distance from the driver. 

I think this law is to prevent your neighborhood hotshot kid from installing a roll cage while retaining the standard seat and three-point belt (which admittedly allows for quite a bit of slop when things get rough-and-tumble). They just don't want anybody to bang their heads on those steel pipes.

I also think that this is a manifestation of a government overreaching and banning it outright, instead of allowing for a proper and safe installation. Then again, the cage is only safe if you can reliably can keep people away from it, and there might be some doubt of wether a driver on public roads is willing to buckle and tighten that cumbersome and uncomfortable harness that makes it difficult to reach the heater or radio knobs. The DOT (or similar body) would probably tell the kid that if he feels unsafe without the cage, he should adopt a more defensive driving style.  - THAT will not work for me. So I will declare to know better, and build my car with cage and racing seat..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm dropping out of this one guys.

I'm just not feeling it this year.  The car scratching mojo has left me and there's no point in wasting plastic.

I'm still building, just not scratchbuilding to this extent.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dropping out of this one guys.

I'm just not feeling it this year.  

I was the same way Fred. I have too many builds involving scratch building still waiting for my attention that to start another seemed silly. Maybe next year.

And speaking of next year.

Next year will be the 10th running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. When I started this back on SA forums back in 2007, I never dreamed we'd still be at it. I'm very proud of this CBP, the community we've built and all the fine builders we've seen. So unless someone has a major malfunction with it, I'm going to announce that I will be running next years CBP and that there will be NO THEME. This what we have called "unlimited" in the past and it's always very popular. Build whatever you would want to drive cross country with. When I start it I'm going to open the thread with a honorarium post with all our previous winners. 

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Jantrix/library/Cannonball Winners?sort=3&page=1

Our previous runs and the themes.

2008 (SA) - Unlimited

2009 (SA) - Unlimited

2010 (SA) - Route 66

2011 (SA) - 30th Anniversary - 1981

2012 (MCM) - American Graffiti - 1962

2013 (MCM) - Unlimited

2014 (MCM) - 1979 (honoring Brock Yates final run)

2015 (MCM) - Sleepers (our most popular run to date)

2016 (MCM) - Australia (on and off road)

As far as the future of the CBP, I intend for it to continue as long as there are interested builders. Or at least until I win one. :lol:

Edited by Jantrix

A okay with me. :)  I was going to hit you up about it in November and see you wanted to.

Finding this cbp 5 years ago is one of the things that got me back into building. Super glad too, I've had a real blast each year building my stuff and watching all the talented people here build their's. Thanks for starting this cbp Rob!

I intend to be apart of it for as long as I can.  

Edited by TFchronos

When I start it I'm going to open the thread with a honorarium post with all our previous winners.

FWIW, a while back I entered the Google Archives and gathered up all the surviving photos of all the finishers of each year. I can supplement your thread or put up a companion thread Under Glass when the time comes if there's interest.

Finding this cbp 5 years ago is one of the things that got me back into building.

Likewise 6 years ago. When I think about it, this is what got me also to get back out there after ten years to get fresh paint, glue and tool upgrades and become serious about models again.

FWIW, a while back I entered the Google Archives and gathered up all the surviving photos of all the finishers of each year. I can supplement your thread or put up a companion thread Under Glass when the time comes if there's interest.

Absolutely. Feel free to post it after the opening post. That would be great. 

I'm very glad other folks have gotten as much out of this CBP as I have. I've only finished three models in 9 runnings, (although I didn't try every year), but I believe what I've turned out was good stuff. This build off really forces you to be innovative and eye catching (or not) and I think that's really what the Cannonball is all about. Had I thought things through I think I would have put off my current project for next year, but that's how it goes. I'm thinking of fully embracing the pro-touring genre for this next one. 

Edited by Jantrix

I thought full roll cages were for additional safety. :blink: But I imagine as Rob said it's mostly to keep race cars off the road 

Good spot Dennis, I didn't see that skimming through it back in Dec.- Jan. I'll put extra care into whatever I do for a roll cage.

I'm just guessing but I bet there are two reasons. One is that street drivers don't usually wear helmets so without the front bars there is nothing for the head to hit. The other reason might have to do with modern cars having air bags in several places. Maybe the bars would interfere with these?

Here's my latest update. I just finished painting the second color and now need to do some touch-up, and paint the wide side trim.

I did experience some red bleed-through though but I'll live with it.

Still not sure if I'm going with a roll bar or not but the point of no return is here for this build.

Landcruiser Painted Mock-up.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

I am ok with unlimited for next year my only problem is i am probably going to spend a year trying to decide what to do.:lol:

The Land Cruiser is looking great nice work.

Update for my build i cut the engine out did some sanding and cut and extended the frame.

photo DSC00081_zpsekroawse.jpg

photo DSC00082_zpsqjdw7bft.jpg

photo DSC00140_zpscktzsde8.jpg

photo DSC00139_zpsxvrmot7h.jpg

photo DSC00141_zpsxbgben0s.jpg