Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who's doing the 24 Hour Build this year?

DaveM

I'm sure somebody else will come along and start an official thread on this, but I'll start for now.

I had to miss this build last year, due to my Mother coming out of rehab from a stroke and getting home a couple of days before the build. This year, all seems well right now, and I am planning on giving this thing a shot.  My wildcard will always be the weather.  If it is super cold, (Like 2013 when it was almost -30F)  I will have to shoot a lot of acrylics for the engine, chassis and interior and only use lacquer for the body.  If I can leave the booth vented out of the upstairs window, without freezing the whole house out, I can empty out my whole Tamiya spray can collection!  

I haven't decided on a kit yet, but I have learned from a couple of failed builds.  Old kits,while they can be simpler, can have fiddly fit and assembly problems.  My 1951 Chevy Convertible fell victim to the combination of the platform interior and the separate inner fenderwells not all lining up perfectly.  I wasn't able to get the body down over the dash and lined up with the frame.  I also know that newer kits fit better, and have fewer sinkmarks in the body, but they can have a lot more parts, and that can just eat up the time really quickly.  The perfect kit would be a newer tool with really good fit, clean body moldings, and slightly simpler construction.  I have thought about a Revell 1969 Camaro, as it has a bucket interior with separate side panels, saving me from having to line up and assemble a platform.  I have also built a couple, so I kind of know the kit's shortcomings.  The other newer kit with a bucket is the '64 Thunderbolt.  I have also had some experience with this kit, but I cringe at the thought of polishing the body with all of those sharp trim lines in a hurry!  I am also thinking of some older kits that go together pretty well, like the '69 Cougar, or an older Monogram kit.  I have no idea what the theme is this year, but I'm pretty sure you can still build any non prepaint. non snap kit with an engine.

Right now, the short list includes a '57 Del Rio, '69 Camaro, Monogram '69 Superbee, or '70 Roadrunner, 1955-1957 Chevy Pickups, 1941 Chevy Pickup, 1950 Olds (Maybe even the custom version)  and a few others.  I am also considering a '62 Pontiac with Packer Pontiac decals, or a '72 olds.  I will probably make anything I build a mild custom or street machine, just to avoid having to use factory matched paint.  I think Tamiya Lacquer will give me almost as fast a finish as anything.  I will probably decant a can or two ahead of time to use in the airbrush.  I can also shoot straight from the can.  The downstairs rooms are heated by a woodstove, so I can actually dry and harden paint pretty quickly.  I just put the model a couple of feet out from one of the big fans and let it dry, as long as things don' t get too stinky!  

I know several people from this board will end up participating in this build.  I would hope that some people reading this will decide to give it a try.  It is a bit of a grind, but it is a lot of fun.  It is the last Weekend of January, so you can watch the Rolex 24 while you are building, or you can jump onto MMTV on Livestream.com and watch the USSN drag race from Bradenton.  (If going straight is your style)  

Let's get some representation from this board on the build, and let's all have some fun!  See you all in the land of sleep deprivation!  

I will be participating this year.  I did my first 24 Hour Build three years ago and completed my '53 Studebaker Miss Deal funny car. The next two years I wasn't successful in finishing the old IMC Little Red Wagon and the old Ertl International Scout.  I was building a stock version of the A100 pickup and the doors were fiddly and hung me up. Later on I glued the suckers shut and added  proper size non-working hinges. It's still sitting in the corner of my bench.  I screwed up the paint job on the Scout.  I also noticed that there was a lot of detail missing under the hood and didn't want to finish it that way.  So later on I started to scratchbuild the heater motor, wiper motor and master cylinder that were all missing. My major faux paux was scratch building a bench seat. Don't do that!  Still not done.

I've learned a few things in the process.  First, choose a fairly simple kit, and one that is expendable and that you have more than one copy.  That way you aren't concerned about building a valuable old kit quickly, and the second kit can be used for parts you screw up, rather than taking the time to correct them.  You can always fix things on the second kit later. The second kit also comes in handy for fitting things.. for instance I used the body to fit over the chassis while the body I was using was drying.  Same with the interior.  I assembled the roll cage on the second interior while mine was drying.  It also helps if you choose a kit that you have built before.  Then you already know the rough spots!

Don't dream up ambitious kit bashing or even consider scratch building anything!  You won't have time!  Just concentrate on getting the kit built.  You can wire it up, especially with pre-wired distributor,  but keep it simple.  If you are going to make decals, do it before the build!  I believe this is acceptable.

You need to have a strategy. I planned on immediately removing all the parts from the trees and cleaning them up and prepping them for paint. That would include gluing things like engine halves together, those things you'd do prior to paint.  On the Miss Deal, I was dismayed to see that took me two hours.  As I was doing this, I put all the parts in piles per the color they needed to be painted. I used all quick drying Duplicolor paints so drying time wouldn't  slow me down. I did some detailing with Sharpie pens. Still,  it took me much longer than I thought to get everything painted so I could start assembly!

You learn to make decisions quickly.  For instance, I got glue on the firewall.  I didn't want to take the time to repaint it or to paint the one in my spare kit, so the firewall got sponsor decals.  And they look great! 

And odd things happen when you are past tired!  I was working on my body around 4am and dropped it.  I quickly trapped it between my arms and my body, breaking both A pillars! Argh!  I didn't have time to be ticked off. I just glued them back in place and kept moving.  I finally finished up around 5:30am.  I did go back and tweak a few things the next week, but I essentially built a complete detailed model in less than 24 hours straight!  That's an accomplishment.  And then you notice that it doesn't look half bad.

I did learn a few things in the process.  First, I learned to plan my projects better from the onset.  Then I learned to build the whole model systematically and save time by getting more done in each phase.  I believe I'm a more organized and better builder because of it.  I also saw that my quick model doesn't look any worse than those I've fretted and sweated over. So I've cut back a bit on my prep stages, realizing a lot of the clean up I was doing wasn't visible on the finished model.

All in all, this was a fun activity.  There's nothing like building in the wee hours of the morning and knowing that 50 other folks are doing the same thing.  It's cool to post your progress shots at 3am and immediately have responses!  It gives you license to abandon the thought of building the perfect model and just go at it like a fifth grader.  It's just for fun!

IMG 3066

Edited by Tom Geiger

Tom, you bring up a lot of good points.  I don't plan on using a "Priceless" kit for this build.  I don't pre glue the 4 parts to the body like you are allowed, because our old club always started weekend builds by ripping the shrink wrap off of the kit at the starting time.  I carry that tradition on.  All of the kits I am considering are kits I either have extras of, or I have one opened and one sealed.  This way, I can grab a part if I screw it up.  Most of the kits are ones I have experience with.  The '69 Camaro would be the smartest choice in that regard, as I have completed a few, and I have a few in the stash.  

I use a slightly different build order.  My first action is to clean up and prime the body and any other parts that will be painted body color.  (Inner fenders, metal parts in the interior, frame parts etc...)  I then glue and putty the body colored parts.  Then I go to the rest of the parts.  The body is always a sticking point in a 24 hour build.  You need to prep, prime, paint, clear coat, polish, foil and detail paint it, all in 24 hours.  I try to get the primer on within two hours, paint at about five or six hours, clear coat sometime after the twelve hour mark, and polish, foil and detail for the last four hours of the build.  I still feel like I am priming over wet putty and glue, painting over raw primer, clear coating over soft paint and polishing uncured clear coat.  I use cotton gloves, and the lightest touch I can muster to handle it, but I always get a tiny flaw or two.  (Or a huge flaw...)   The final assembly always takes a few hours more than I anticipated.  If I am still working on parts and paint at the twenty hour mark, I know I am in trouble.  

I am taking are of a family member 24/7, so I will have to be even more flexible than normal.  I may have a chance to have somebody watching her the first three or four hours of the build, so I will plan to get a lot my airbrushing done then.  Afterwards, I will have to make sure she is settled down and has been toileted recently before I run up to the spray room.  All other parts of the build will have to be done in the main room on a coffee table I am setting up just for the build.  I have to prep all of her meals, set up and administer all of her medications, eyedrops etc, along with moving her every two hours, so I will have a very busy 24 hour build.  

I will probably end up using Tamiya Lacquers for their fast drying qualities, along with some Wicked Colors acrylics for custom mixed colors.  (I can dry these with hot air, and I can paint them over Tamiya for interior panels that need to be two toned)  I have some ScaleFinishes paints too, but I am not sure if I want to do a lot of testing with them on  a 24 hour build.  If I get to give them a good test before the build, and I know I can dry them quickly enough, I might try one on the build.  That would open up a couple of subjects for me.  ('71 Charger in Butterscotch, '64 Impala in Bahama green, '64 T-Bolt in Vintage Burgundy or Guardsman Blue.  Any Ford in Wimbledon White, '55 Chrysler in Tango Red and maybe even a '71 Ranger in Calypso Coral, or a two tone.)   Anybody have experience rushing a build with Scalefinishes paints?  How hard are they to force?  DO they harden up with a few hours of  heat, or are they still bad underneath when you cut the surface with an abrasive?

Let's all have a ton of fun with this build!

I'm tempted to join this CBP.  I participated in Dr Cranky's weekend build a few years ago, where the purpose was to dig out an old, unfinished build that had ground to a halt for some reason, and complete it over the weekend.  I had a ball and the bonus was a Johan Sox & Martin 'Cuda sitting in my display cabinet that had previously been languishing in a box with a messed-up red side panel.

One question, at what time does the build start?  I'm in New Zealand so I'm way out of synch with you guys in the US.

I'm tempted to join this CBP.  I participated in Dr Cranky's weekend build a few years ago, where the purpose was to dig out an old, unfinished build that had ground to a halt for some reason, and complete it over the weekend.  I had a ball and the bonus was a Johan Sox & Martin 'Cuda sitting in my display cabinet that had previously been languishing in a box with a messed-up red side panel.

One question, at what time does the build start?  I'm in New Zealand so I'm way out of synch with you guys in the US.

It's Noon, Saturday to Noon, Sunday.  I am pretty sure that is in Eastern Time Zone.  (U.S.)  

and NZ is 18 hours ahead...  so you'd be starting at 6am on Sunday! 

That's right Tom, looks like I'll have to finish my build in one session before going back to bed.  I'm not going to get up early on Monday as well, just to finish it (I hope) ;)

The body is always a sticking point in a 24 hour build.  You need to prep, prime, paint, clear coat, polish, foil and detail paint it, all in 24 hours.

I guess you haven't seen my builds!   :D   They've never seen clear coat or this polish you speak of!

For a 24 hour build you can simplify the build and not do things like clear coat and polish.   It's just for fun.  And the funny thing is that in the end, the results won't be all that different than the cars you've spent tons of time on!   Makes you think a bit.

I guess you haven't seen my builds!   :D   They've never seen clear coat or this polish you speak of!

For a 24 hour build you can simplify the build and not do things like clear coat and polish.   It's just for fun.  And the funny thing is that in the end, the results won't be all that different than the cars you've spent tons of time on!   Makes you think a bit.

True!  That would save some time.  I tend to build factory stock, vintage drag or street rod/custom/street machine stuff.  I tend to go for shiny.  I might skip the clear this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what is allowed as far as linking to other sites, but they have a Facebook page every year.  I hope somebody a bit more "in the loop" than I am will see this thread and direct the traffic to the right place.  Make sure you look up the right facebook page, as every year had a separate thread for the build.  Gary Kulchock  runs it, and he can give you the correct info. I have only done a couple of these, but they are lots of fun.   

Not sure what is allowed as far as linking to other sites, but they have a Facebook page every year.  I hope somebody a bit more "in the loop" than I am will see this thread and direct the traffic to the right place.  Make sure you look up the right facebook page, as every year had a separate thread for the build.  Gary Kulchock  runs it, and he can give you the correct info. I have only done a couple of these, but they are lots of fun.   

I'm in the loop! :D  I've been in the original group since the first one.  (Original group meaning this iteration of the 24 hour build).  Yes, Gary is the driving force behind this annual event.  He started it with just a Fotki account and posting updates there.  He still maintains that site and you can see all of the previous years. http://public.fotki.com/gkulchock/10-annual-24-hour-b/  (did the link work?)  On FB, just look for "10th Annual 24HR Build"  Gary's vision was always to have this thing blow up and it really has taken off since putting it on FB.  Gary still does his very best to link everyone's personal build site to his so that we can all see what everyone else is up to.  Not everyone is on FB.

If you have not participated before, give it a shot.  It is a good time.  It is much more fun if you are able to do it with a few of your buddies.  You are much less likely to stop, quit or fall asleep!  It is fun to bust out a build and not sweat all of the little details.  As a kid, I could buy a kit on a Saturday morning and have it done before going to bed.  And the best part of it....I had FUN doing it.  That is the whole idea behind this, having fun.  It is doubtful that we will have any Best of Show winners coming out of this 24 hour build.  My goal every year is to finish my model in 24 hours.  I have come very close.  Most of us do have to finish them up after the 24 hour period and that is OK.

If there is any other questions you all might have, post them here and we will get them answered.  Good luck to everyone who is participating this year.

Edited by Nacho Z

Thanks for jumping in.  I have made two attempts and almost finished one.  This year is going to be my year!  How do you post to the fotki?  I was just going to post on Facebook, but I am realizing that isn't the right way to do it.  Does Gary set you up with the link?

I am going through the stack this weekend.  I am also going to do a pre 24 build, where I take a shot at finishing something I started, but have not gotten to the painting stage.  This will make sure my paint setup is working, and my tools are all sharp and ready to go.  

My short list of 24 hour candidates includes a '63 Impala (revell), a '50 Olds Custom, a K.S. Pittman Willys, a '69 Camaro, a '55 Chrysler, a 71 Duster, a '65 Galaxie, and a '57 Chevy.  I was also thinking of doing a 1/24 Monogram kit (Or Revell reissue of one)  That would open up things like a '30 Coupe, '29 Woody, '57 Nomad, '70 Chevelle, '77 GMC Plow truck, '77 Chevy Street Van, and many others.  

Thanks for jumping in.  I have made two attempts and almost finished one.  This year is going to be my year!  How do you post to the fotki?  I was just going to post on Facebook, but I am realizing that isn't the right way to do it.  Does Gary set you up with the link?

I am going through the stack this weekend.  I am also going to do a pre 24 build, where I take a shot at finishing something I started, but have not gotten to the painting stage.  This will make sure my paint setup is working, and my tools are all sharp and ready to go.  

My short list of 24 hour candidates includes a '63 Impala (revell), a '50 Olds Custom, a K.S. Pittman Willys, a '69 Camaro, a '55 Chrysler, a 71 Duster, a '65 Galaxie, and a '57 Chevy.  I was also thinking of doing a 1/24 Monogram kit (Or Revell reissue of one)  That would open up things like a '30 Coupe, '29 Woody, '57 Nomad, '70 Chevelle, '77 GMC Plow truck, '77 Chevy Street Van, and many others.  

Dave, you can post on FB.  Actually, under the pinned post on the 24 hour FB page, Gary states that everyone should post on FB.  If you have a Fotki account, send Gary the link to your page.  Not everyone has a Fotki account.  I assume it does not have to be Fotki.  It could be any photo hosting site.