Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO - International Prostar

Looks good man. Remember there are a lot of brackets that need to be put on before you paint. I've made that mistake before and it caused be to shelf a project or 2.

Yeah, I started adding those last night. Suspension mounts, cab mounts, all kinds of good stuff!

This is my first Moebius kit, and so far the fit of the pieces has been excellent. Tabs fit in their respective places tight, with pretty much no play. Front cab mounts had some play, but if you temporarily mount the cab floor then it's easy to line everything up properly.

You might have some trouble with cab to hood fit, like most truck kits. Be prepared to do some trimming and shaving in places, either to the cab mounts or the cab. It seems like the front of the cab sits too high on the frame and creates a tapered gap when the hood is closed.

Here is my Prostar.

Slow progress, but stuff's getting done. Frame and some of the hangers are looking good, got the axles mostly assembled, but still need sanding and smoothing before paint. 

Engine has first coat of paint done. I found Tamiya's X3 blue is pretty close to the Maxxforce blue. Maybe a little darker, but looks close enough for me. I have plenty of reference pics now, so it should turn out pretty good.

One thing I noticed is that the instructions say to install the oil pan as I have. But every reference pic (see below for examples) of the real thing I've found has the pan on the other way around. For those who have built this one, are the instructions wrong? Will the engine still fit if I flip the pan around?  

WP_20160202_003.jpg

WP_20160202_005.jpg

WP_20160202_006.jpg

engine - 001.jpg

engine - 002.jpg

Hmmm.....That is interesting....I never knew the oil pan may be backwards.....I don't think it will fit if you swap it, though......I'll have to do some checking on that, myself.....

I know that Clayton is right about those cab mounts, though....You should be able to see where I chopped some off the ones up front.....The cab won't sit level, if you don't, but don't cut too much....The front portion of the cab will rub the tires....I did that and had to shim to compensate.....

You are definitely on the right track....This is looking pretty awesome....

Not sure if you're going to extend this one, but I've found that if you do it at this point, you won't have to worry about messing up any of the mounting points....

You can probably tell that this is one of my favorite kits.....Can't wait to see what YOUR take on this thing will be.....

0031024x582_zpsdcd1a1c0.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Should be a great build to follow. I haven't built a Pro Star yet but I'm glad JT mentioned the instructions being simpler. I've built hundreds of models in my lifetime and I found the Lone Star instructions to be more complicated than they really needed to be.

Download the ones from Revell's version on their site... :http://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/07408_%23BAU_2010_INTERNATIONAL_LONE_STAR.PDF

Same thing for the Prostar: http://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/07411_%23BAU_INTERNATIONAL_PROSTAR.PDF

Edited by BigBad

So didn't get much done on this over the weekend. Weather was too nice and we needed to take advantage!

I did however get the body primed using the Tamiya white primer. Some quick sanding and filling if neccessary, and I may be able to get the body parts painted this week, which would be great.

I painted the frame and axles using a semi-gloss engine paint, always had nice results with this stuff.

And I got the second coat of blue down on the engine block. Here's a pic of it, with some VW Rabbit engines as a size comparison.

I won't be stretching the frame on this one, as I kind of dig the stubby look. But I do have a second Prostar kit, so might try a stretch on that one. Or on the Lonestar kit.

WP_20160206_013.jpg

WP_20160206_015.jpg

I'm just going to leave the pan as per the kit instructions. Wrong or right, I'm not that OCD about it. 

Took a small roadtrip for work yesterday, and spend most of the time thinking about the trailer and how I'm going to open the rear doors and fabricate hinges for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update with right now. Just painting the smaller pieces like airbags, and doing some more assembly on the engine. No pics to update with right now.

I did some internet research, and from what I can tell, no one has built a truck (real or model) like I'm planning. I'm just hoping people will get the reference!

Actually got some work done on the truck this weekend. Still nothing exciting though. Still painting individual components, test fitting, etc. Starting mounting the suspension. Once the suspension is all in place, then I can start working on running air lines. Also got a little more done on the engine. Once I get some detailing done on it, it should look pretty good.

WP_20160228_004.jpg

WP_20160228_016.jpg

WP_20160228_019.jpg

Progress feels slow on this, but I guess there's really no rush.

Finally finished getting suspension mounted, and got some more work done on the engine. I'm still really impressed with how well the Moebius kits go together. Very little play when assembling, everything lines up really well. This engine will look really good once I get some weathering and detailing done on it. 

WP_20160302_003.jpg

WP_20160302_009.jpg

WP_20160302_012.jpg

WP_20160302_002.jpg

WP_20160302_001.jpg

"One thing I noticed is that the instructions say to install the oil pan as I have. But every reference pic (see below for examples) of the real thing I've found has the pan on the other way around. For those who have built this one, are the instructions wrong? Will the engine still fit if I flip the pan around?"   

Hmmm.....That is interesting....I never knew the oil pan may be backwards.....I don't think it will fit if you swap it, though......I'll have to do some checking on that, myself.....

Don´t know if it is still in question but the orientation of the oil pan depends on front axle position. If it is set forward (SFFA) the oil pan lower part must be closer to the bell, like in your picture of the model engine. If the axle is set back (SBFA) then the oil pan must be backwards, like in the picture of the real engine. Otherwise the oil pan would get in collision with the front axle.

Nice progress on your build.

Edited by truckabilly