Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Baron's Rod

CabDriver

So, I had this crazy idea - I LOVE those old Showrod kits and I love me a Deuce coupe - so I figured what would the Red Baron drive if he had a Deuce?

I started with this:

And a spare Revell Deuce body:

The Deuce body fits right over the original Red Baron chassis like a glove!  It needed an extension to the frame though, so I cut some frame rails on my vinyl cutting machine, laminated them together and made an extension to the frame:

My plan is to use as much of the original Red Baron showrod kit as possible - the wheels, the engine, the front and rear suspension and make a kinda mash-up of the two.  Just need to find those decals that I misplaced....

Great idea for using an otherwise useless(IMHO)kit.actually IF the real red baron,who really was a German baron(Vonricktoven,probably spelled incorrectly)had owned a deuce it would have probably been a "deuce-enberg" as all German officers were aristocracy and very wealthy.

it would have probably been a "deuce-enberg"

HAHA!  Why didn't I think of that!!

I wasnt at all happy with the quality of the chrome plating on a lot of the parts -  the red styrene was visible through a number of them so into the bleach they go...

Meanwhile, onto tyre sanding chores!  Don't they look so much better with the shine taken off?

Just wondering if I can chuck the tyres into a mini drill so save me sanding them for too many hours :lol:

Joe - that's basically what I did for the fronts, except I used a little 12v mini drill!

Alclad chores complete!  Did the wheels, the engine, the axle and real leaf spring, the driveshaft...realy pleased with them - theyre even shinier than in the pictures, they look great!

Before:

I wish I'd thought of that Mike!  I was trying to thing where to mount the guns but they looked kinda dumb whatever I did.  Shoulda put them through the cowl!
  Next time...

I've been putting off masking up the chassis to chrome the axle and the engine detail moulded into the bottom of the chassis....it wasn't too fun but fingers crossed it'll look good when it's done!

please tell me you are using the machine guns and the pittman through the cowl !!

I thought about what you said Mike, and though I couldn't quite work out a good way to mount them, I did figure I could modify one of the guns and the kit air intake and make something menacing and cool:

She'll need Alclading too, but I think it'll look cool!

Edited by CabDriver

Tom does GREAT design!  I'm trying to get the spirit of one of his designs here a little, its definately more of a concept or showcar kinda thing than a super detailed build with all the plumbing and wiring.  That said - I did the last bit of Alclading today and glued the last couple of bits in place - she's basically there!

I'll take some better pics tomorrow but I love how it's come together - even cooler than I hoped for!