Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Minatures Corvette Grandsport

buildnething

I'd always wanted one of these but just couldn't justify the price they were going for, but was lucky enough to be in our local plastic pusher's shop when the Revell kit came in and finally got one for less than $25 including tax. Now all I need is to get motivated enough to build it before I start robbing it for parts.

I'd always wanted one of these but just couldn't justify the price they were going for, but was lucky enough to be in our local plastic pusher's shop when the Revell kit came in and finally got one for less than $25 including tax. Now all I need is to get motivated enough to build it before I start robbing it for parts.

Do it! You will not be disappointed!   

Years ago when I wrote for Toy Cars and Models Magazine, I did an in depth article on Revell-Monogram's Creative Masters 1/20th scale diecast cars.  This line was top of the line in so far as detail went in the mid to late 80's.  I was fortunate to interview 4 of the executives that were behind the line, Roger Harney, Ed Sexton, Ken Merker and Bob Johnson. 

Bob Johnson was one of the founders of Accurate Miniatures.  When he and I were talking one day about the model kits that A-M did, he also mentioned that they had intended on doing a 427 Cobra to include in the line but funding was an issue towards the end and it never made it to fruition.  About a week later, Bob sent me one of the original kits out of the blue complete with the higher end decals and photoetched and strict instructions to contact Harold Bradford at HRM to get the aftermarket suspension pieces from HRM.  Also picked up the oil cooler from Norm with Replicas and Miniatures at the last MAMA's meeting.  Now I just need to figure when I can get this one started!

Years ago when I wrote for Toy Cars and Models Magazine, I did an in depth article on Revell-Monogram's Creative Masters 1/20th scale diecast cars.  This line was top of the line in so far as detail went in the mid to late 80's.  I was fortunate to interview 4 of the executives that were behind the line, Roger Harney, Ed Sexton, Ken Merker and Bob Johnson. 

Bob Johnson was one of the founders of Accurate Miniatures.  When he and I were talking one day about the model kits that A-M did, he also mentioned that they had intended on doing a 427 Cobra to include in the line but funding was an issue towards the end and it never made it to fruition.  About a week later, Bob sent me one of the original kits out of the blue complete with the higher end decals and photoetched and strict instructions to contact Harold Bradford at HRM to get the aftermarket suspension pieces from HRM.  Also picked up the oil cooler from Norm with Replicas and Miniatures at the last MAMA's meeting.  Now I just need to figure when I can get this one started!

Awesome Story! If its anything like the other kits that made production, I am sure it would have been the best Cobra on the market! I wonder what happened to these molds? Wonder if Revell will make use of them again? 

Man I turn my head and then check back in and ol' Derrick here's got half the dam car built already! Screamin' progress and looks good so far bud!

BTW if you ever wanted to paint those letters on the tires there's an acrylic white pen available at Hobby Lobby that works great. You've gotta be careful shakin' it up too much or pressing down too hard but it yields excellent results on the white letters on model car tires. It's worth the small purchase.

Tiresupdate002_zpse0fc5512.jpg

Man I turn my head and then check back in and ol' Derrick here's got half the dam car built already! Screamin' progress and looks good so far bud!

BTW if you ever wanted to paint those letters on the tires there's an acrylic white pen available at Hobby Lobby that works great. You've gotta be careful shakin' it up too much or pressing down too hard but it yields excellent results on the white letters on model car tires. It's worth the small purchase.

Tiresupdate002_zpse0fc5512.jpg

Hell yea Joe! I work fast lol! Sometimes that iss a good thing and a VERY bad thing! Thanks for the heads up on white paint pen. I bought a gelly roll white ink pen but that fine detail just got flooded. Tire decals are just much quicker and easier. I get them from fireball model works, I think.  They cost a couple of bucks for a set. To me its worth it.