Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Plymouth 8/12/17 photo link fix

Foxer

• 3 weeks later...

I got the car in putty fixing the rocker panels and extending the headlights about a scale half inch. I scored a door line on the side to see how well this old plastic worked .. looks like that's a go, there's a lot of door, trunk and hood scoring to do .. uggh!

51 Plymouth body filler DSC 1971

Edited by Foxer

It's been still the window trim getting it all straight and aligned. The passenger side of rear window needs work and then sanding and some primer to see where some filler is needed.

window trim two DSC 1982

window trim two DSC 1986

window trim two DSC 1984

I have a plan for the tailights. Two channels back to back give the size and can be just slid into a rectangular hole in the body for an automatic fit to the fender curves. I'll try a fit later today I hope.

Edited by Foxer

This will be the last one with just greenhouse pics of the trim ... I promise! ^_^ I shot some primer to inspect for areas needing repairs and there are the expected little holes and places needing sanding. I was surprised to see the trim on the Passenger side C pillar still needs to be slid down to match the trunk line, but it's still a simple job. Otherwise, I'm happy with the trim and can get back to the rocker panels and the trim there.

Trim In Primer DSC 1990

Trim In Primer DSC 1991

Trim In Primer DSC 1992

Trim In Primer DSC 1993

Edited by Foxer

As various body areas that need some putty build-up dry, I've been contemplating how I can do the tail lights. The body had weakly molded lights in the body mold. My first try involved cutting the fender with holes in shape of tail light and using a couple plastic channels glued face to face to slide in the holes. Then I could shape the end sticking out and glue and putty on a small round for the reflector. It looks like I won't be able to get the channel piece straight into the fender without really thinning the fender on the inside of the outside fender surface.

1950 1951 1952 Plymouth MOPAR Tail Light Lens - Bezel sbl

51 Plymouth tail light bezles s-l11600

Fender dip DSC 2005

Tail light try 1 DSC 2003

Now I'm thinking about wrapping a piece of .03 plastic around the fender end and adding,carving all the detail to that and just glue on to the fender. Getting the first wrapped piece to hold shape will be the biggest problem ... thinking of applying some thin glue to surface to form it.

Edited by Foxer

The last application of two part putty, just some small spots to go after a primer check .. I did fill the holes made for first tail light attempt to bend and putty some stick on tail lights.

Bodywork DSC 2011

Bodywork DSC 2010

Edited by Foxer

• 1 month later...

I've been working on this and have the bodywork done, all ready to be decked out in chrome trim and scribed panel lines. They will take some time for me .. all four doors, the trunk and the hood have raised panel lines and I'm scribing them in. This photo is with last sanding done. I added the missing vent window post on drivers side too.

51 readt for scribing DSC 2058

Notice the fender, hood and rocker trim has been removed and will be replaced with new pieces from shaped rod.

Edited by Foxer

• 4 months later...

Little by little I've been scribing all the panel lines and noticed the leading edge of the hood doesn't come to a point to match the grill. So a .08 sheet was measured and cut and now sitting as the glue cures before filling to get a smooth transition.

Took many small putty rounds but I was doing it all by eye and no claim to accuracy. The hood nose at least matches the grill and looks right to my eye.

My old standby Duplicolor Sandable Primer isn't covering well anymore. It is in a new can. Maybe it's just this old red plastic that is refusing to go away. These photos have a tint of red still and blotches where red was in the nose area.

Grill%20filled%20done%20DSC_2140_zpslrqr

Grill%20filled%20done%20DSC_2139_zpsyoo3

Back to panel lines now ..

Edited by Foxer

• 10 months later...