Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Dodge Charger?

So I plan on doing a replica of my Grandfathers 1972 Dodge Charger, I was wanting to know if anyone has attempted to do the hide away headlights? If so, how? Also seeking mopar afficianados in help explaining any differences between the 71 Dirty Donny kit and a 72? I am planning on using this kit as the basis of this project.  I believe the car to be an R/T. Not 100% positive atm. I do know its Honey Dew Y4 yellow, with Black stripes. To Scalefinishes I go!! 

Edited by buildnething

I'm in progress of doing the same, but without the hide away headlights. You need to fill in the simulated vents in the doors and modify the side markers. I've read that the grille inserts from the dukes of hazzard kit can be used for a '72, but I can't confirm that. The tail lights are fairly easy to modify and you can cut them from the clear red part that is included in the 71 kit. I can post a few pics when I'm back home from work.

I'm in progress of doing the same, but without the hide away headlights. You need to fill in the simulated vents in the doors and modify the side markers. I've read that the grille inserts from the dukes of hazzard kit can be used for a '72, but I can't confirm that. The tail lights are fairly easy to modify and you can cut them from the clear red part that is included in the 71 kit. I can post a few pics when I'm back home from work.

Outstanding! That would be very appreciated. Thanks! The name 440 6bbl is very re-assuring! Look forward to seeing them. 

Outstanding! That would be very appreciated. Thanks! The name 440 6bbl is very re-assuring! Look forward to seeing them. 

Here it is. I bought this Charger as a chassis donor for MPC´s ´71 Roadrunner. This build is made from the left over parts from the Roadrunner build. A friend owns the 1:1 Charger and I´m doing this model for him. Since he is no rivet counter, I didn´t go for maximum accuracy. Just looking forward to getting it finished quickly while ending up with a solid model for a guy with big fingers who doesn´t know how to carefully handle a model. 

The bulge in the hood was cut out and replaced with a piece of hood from AMT´s ´70 Monte Carlo. Front and rear bumper units were stripped, modified, painted black and wrapped in BMF. Side markers were puttied and sanded and will be redone with just BMF and clear red and clear orange. Vents in the doors were deleted with putty and I added vinyl roof trim to the body because my friend´s Charger once had a vinyl top. Only the trim remained on his car, it´s quite a beater with dents on all four corners and a pretty lousy paint job. But it has a solid body and runs strong with a refurbished 383.

IMAG0014.thumb.jpg.8ba414895d9da47c4bd98

IMAG0015.thumb.jpg.65f2510792b19e78128f9

IMAG0017.thumb.jpg.a4ddc082d9443bba2f21d

IMAG0018.thumb.jpg.d9979477006ca9e9ac9ac

I just cut away what was not needed on the bumper units. Added some sheet and putty and sanded them parts into shape. Hope this helped a bit.

Hello buildnething, I don't know if this will help you but there is another really good post on a 72 charger on the ( on the workbench ) forum of this site. Some exellent information on turning a 71 into a 72 charger. I absolutely love this idea and maybe when my skills improve maybe I'll give it a try. Thank you.       Jeff 

I think the hide away headlight stuff from the Dukes charger will work

What you need to do,,,,, all depends on the actual car.

There were different tail lights for different models in 72 , as well as different doors ,,all depending on how the car was equipped

sidemarker changes will be the easy part. Interior may also be a problem , bench seat or buckets , and I think the seat pattern is different between 71 versus 72

Thanks everyone! All very helpful information. At the moment I am simply researching and waiting for current photos of the car for reference. My Grandfather still owns the car, and its been in storage most of its life. I hardly ever get to see it because of him living about 1 hour away, besides I never really thought to ask, always busy with being with family. But he is getting older, and I just felt like it would be a cool build to do for him and myself.  This will be quite the project, and will be sometime before I will get anything up on here in the workbench section. But please anyone with any information, tips, or parts would be helpful. 

Derrick 

Hi Derrick. I already left a post here, but I just wanted to add something. I think that it is waaaay cool that you are going to build a car of your grandfather's car and just wanted to say that I wish I still had that opportunity to do that for my grandparents but unfortunately they have been gone for a very long time . Hindsight is 20/ 20 and I learned that the hard way. So looking back l wish that I did a lot more with and for them. Again Derrick, I think that it is pretty awesome what you are doing and I will keep an eye out for when you get started on this build. 

Thank you.      Jeff 

Hi Derrick. I already left a post here, but I just wanted to add something. I think that it is waaaay cool that you are going to build a car of your grandfather's car and just wanted to say that I wish I still had that opportunity to do that for my grandparents but unfortunately they have been gone for a very long time . Hindsight is 20/ 20 and I learned that the hard way. So looking back l wish that I did a lot more with and for them. Again Derrick, I think that it is pretty awesome what you are doing and I will keep an eye out for when you get started on this build. 

Thank you.      Jeff 

Thank You Jeff... Cherish the moments as they say!  Sorry you never got to do something similar, but I know they are looking down proudly on you! I just know it! I am excited to start this build and share it with everyone. I also just purchased an original MPC Dodge Daytona Turbo Z off ebay, and will be doing my other grandmother's car from 1984 I believe. She had a black one, with the red trim. Funny story, as a kid, I used to call her my black grandma to differentiate her from the other, since her car was black. LOL Kids say the darnedest things. 

Derrick- the first thing you have to find out is: what submodel is the Charger? In '72, the top performance model was the Rallye- the R/T wasn't offered that year. 

If it's a Rallye, then the car should have special 1972-Rallye specific doors- each with 5 indentations in them. 

Any other '72 Charger model got plain doors. 

If it's a Rallye, then the best starting point would be MPC's old annual '72 Charger- that has the door indentations. These are not exactly cheap when you find them. 

The AMT '71 kit was tooled up almost 30 years later, so in some respects, the AMT kit is that much nicer (especially the chassis and engine). 

You could always kitbash the old MPC body with the AMT kit, but if the car you are building is not a Rallye, then you would probably be better off converting the AMT '71 into a '72 with Missing Link's excellent conversion parts. 

If you need the door indentations, I would even consider maybe carving them into the AMT body after filling in the '71 door gills (no easy task, but you might be able to do it carefully with a Dremel tool and the right bit). 

In any case, research the car as much as you can, and keep asking questions- we all love to chime in here!

I just noticed that you said you purchased hidden headlights and a flat hood for this build. The flat hood would mean the car is not a Rallye, since they always came with a bulge hood (which was like the 71's, except that it did not have the louvres in it like the '71 kit's hood.). If that's the case, then you could probably reliably start on the '71 kit. 

Here's graphic that shows all of the models. Note that the Rallye models have the door indentations, and that the SE has a slightly different quarter window. If it's an SE, then I think modifying the quarter window as you need should not be that hard. Note that the SE for '72 got a unique quarter window treatment, different than the one on the more familiar '73 and '74 cars.

image.jpg

Thank Bill for all the insight, I havent purchased the hood or grill yet, waiting on reference pics from my uncle to confirm, so I am okay on that front atm. I have only glanced at it a few times, and from what my memory is telling me its y4 Honey Dew Yellow, with Black stripes and I believe it to have the rallye option wheels from the goldish one in the pic.  Now the door indentations would be beyond my skill level. I will check out missing link! I dont mind spending extra if it makes my life easier! LOL