Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 41 Woody Custom

buildnething

So I have a terrible habit of diving into builds and then not posting progress pics...But I guess I will share this. Along with the Accurate Minatures Grandsport Vette, I am building this Classic Woody. I am going for a true, grungy looking surfboard hauler, with some custom touches.  Mainly going to build it box stock, but I added plug wires, and plan to scratch build a roof mounted surfboard rack.  I am using copper tubing and plastruct 1.0 x 3.2 mm Styrene strips. This will be my first go at scratch building and my first attempt at soldering!  Wish me luck!   This wont be  a show queen custom woody but more of a weathered daily. Here is what I have done so far.  Shout out to my amazing girlfriend for shooting these pics, admiring my work, and being supportive of my hobby/addiction. 20160214_192629.thumb.jpg.1a601bee8d139eColors used: Vallejo Model Color uniform green, Chrome silver for the head cover detail, Jet Exhaust for the trans, Gold, Flat white, and semi-gloss black. 20160214_192619.thumb.jpg.e659634ee59ba7Can anyone tell me what engine and intake setup this is? I know its a flat-head but that is about it. 

20160214_192516.thumb.jpg.a2a6f526de0060The weathered grungy interior. So many paint colors used on this interior alone. Man masking those doors was a job but absolutely necessary. Airbrushed, clear coated, then used an Ochre oil wash, then used pastels for dusting and grime. The woody will be Tamiya's dark racing green. 

Thanks Slush! Not the easiest kit, at least in terms of painting. I think the skill level rankings should take that into consideration. LOL. I definitely think this particular vehicle requires some techniques that some may not have. But overall assembly and fit is easy enough.  Lots of sanding though, to remove mold lines and flash. Overall a fun and educating experience so far. That is all that matters. I try to learn something new on each build. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed...I've got the '49 Merc Woody queued up for my next build, and I've been looking at getting one of these as well. You asked about the engine...it looks to be a standard Ford Flathead V8 with a more modern fuel-injection setup on it...were there intake options or was that the only one that came with it, and is that the Round 2 Kit?

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed...I've got the '49 Merc Woody queued up for my next build, and I've been looking at getting one of these as well. You asked about the engine...it looks to be a standard Ford Flathead V8 with a more modern fuel-injection setup on it...were there intake options or was that the only one that came with it, and is that the Round 2 Kit?

Yes this is the latest Round 2 kit thats been out for awhile now. This is the only option you get. No stock option. Which disappoints me. I dont really care for this set up, but its pretty crazy looking.   

Yes this is the latest Round 2 kit thats been out for awhile now. This is the only option you get. No stock option. Which disappoints me. I dont really care for this set up, but its pretty crazy looking.   

Yeah, I'd prefer the stock engine as well, or maybe even if they did a more period-correct fuel injection, but I guess it's not that bad. Anyway, the build is looking good so far, I love the detail work you've done.

Edited by MrBuick

Yeah, I'd prefer the stock engine as well, or maybe even if they did a more period-correct fuel injection, but I guess it's not that bad. Anyway, the build is looking good so far, I love the detail work you've done.

I agree, these kits really show their age, when they have setups that were modern back in the seventies! But I guess that is whats good about the aftermarket or buying newer car kits. You can get modern LS or Coyote motors..now in resin. I dont mind the old stuff though. It makes for a period correct model for its time. Thank you for checking it out and complimenting the build. A little bit of detail painting and weathering goes a long way!  I try to do as much as I can with what is in the box. But I am venturing out more and more to get that impressive details. 

Looking great! I'm so looking forward to seeing the body...judging by how good it looks so far, I'll be bugging you for some tips on painting the wood trim around where the decals go.

Really quite simple. For the interior there is no molded in wood grain, but it needs to look like wood grain. So what I did was I utilized Tamiya Desert Yellow XF-59 for the light wood grain, then I used Tamiya Nato Brown XF-68 for the dark wood grain panels. Both through an airbrush. But you can use any brown and tan colors you like or feel are accurate. This is just what I had handy. It obviously was taped off, Thats the hard part. Tight spaces and had a curve over the wheel well. Then I cleared that. Upon drying of the clear coat, I made a wash utilizing Master's Touch oil colours Raw Umber HO540, and just coated the entire surface. I then took a dry wide/flat brush and put streaks through the wash to simulate a wood grain effect. I plan on doing the same on the outside but I will use the wood grain decals provided for exterior. They look really good. 

Edited by buildnething

Outstanding interior, thank you for the painting info. Is the exhaust from the kit or did you make your own split tail pipes ?

Exhaust is from the kit! I dont really care for it because it has flat ends there is no concave or drilled out hole so it doesnt look realistic and I have no idea how to drill them out big enough. 

Exhaust is from the kit! I dont really care for it because it has flat ends there is no concave or drilled out hole so it doesnt look realistic and I have no idea how to drill them out big enough. 

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Pin-Vice-with-Drill-Bits/p/1225

Try one of these...they've helped me out with this exact problem before.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Pin-Vice-with-Drill-Bits/p/1225

Try one of these...they've helped me out with this exact problem before.

I have a vise, the thing is the bits are not big enough. Those tips on the exhaust are huge compared to those tiny bits. That would take forever to drill out with those. I would think. I will just paint the ends black. 

Wow Derrick, that interior weathering is some of the best I've ever seen, great job! Will be checking your progress.

Wow! Really? Thanks, I really enjoyed the weathering process. I have a nack for it. I guess. Too bad its not very visible. But when is it? LOL.  Now if I could just get a flawless exterior.  Thats my main problem. My body painting is not that great. I just do not have the sanding and polishing technique down yet. 

I have a vise, the thing is the bits are not big enough. Those tips on the exhaust are huge compared to those tiny bits. That would take forever to drill out with those. I would think. I will just paint the ends black. 

If you can find some Dremel drill bits they have some larger sizes that should work. I picked mine up at Home Depot. Start with the finest bit you have now and be sure it is centered when you start drilling. Progressively move to larger size drill bits. At some point you will want to stop drilling, because the pipes are flared the end will still be to thick but the inside that you are drilling will be getting to close to drilling thru the sides.  At that point use a #11 blade. With the point in the center of the hole you can slowly rotate the blade and scrape out the desired  shape. The blade has an angle that works very well at enlarging the hole in the exhaust pipe. Of course you could always just cut the split pipes off and build the exhaust the way you want it to the rear.     

If you can find some Dremel drill bits they have some larger sizes that should work. I picked mine up at Home Depot. Start with the finest bit you have now and be sure it is centered when you start drilling. Progressively move to larger size drill bits. At some point you will want to stop drilling, because the pipes are flared the end will still be to thick but the inside that you are drilling will be getting to close to drilling thru the sides.  At that point use a #11 blade. With the point in the center of the hole you can slowly rotate the blade and scrape out the desired  shape. The blade has an angle that works very well at enlarging the hole in the exhaust pipe. Of course you could always just cut the split pipes off and build the exhaust the way you want it to the rear.     

Yea I use that technique, I just didnt want to bother with it. But I may give some though to just cutting it and adding some aluminum tubing. Not sure yet. Thanks for the tip espo. 

Yea I use that technique, I just didnt want to bother with it. But I may give some though to just cutting it and adding some aluminum tubing. Not sure yet. Thanks for the tip espo. 

If you have not tried it yet, you can build the exhaust by using hollow plastic tubing with a copper wire inside. This is easy to bend and will hold its shape. Aluminum tubing will often kink when  bent in a tight arc. I like the Aluminum tubing on the very end because it can be easily polished and looks just like and exhaust tip.

If you have not tried it yet, you can build the exhaust by using hollow plastic tubing with a copper wire inside. This is easy to bend and will hold its shape. Aluminum tubing will often kink when  bent in a tight arc. I like the Aluminum tubing on the very end because it can be easily polished and looks just like and exhaust tip.

Yea that is the plan. Plan to just Cut some straight aluminum tubing and add it to the ends of the exhaust so it looks hallow.