Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 VW/Dkw Kubelwagen

stitchdup

Here's a little bit of a different build of mine. I started with a hasegawa kubelwagen kit 1/24 scale, but since I'm not a military builder I went for a rough drag style and left the army stuff in the box. The engine block is from a revell t25 UN van kit but the rest is mostly scratch built from scraps and the part box. The cage is from a revell beretta pro street, as is most of the drag parts. I wanted it to look like the body had been pulled from storage in good condition, but left as it was put away. The whole thing was painted by multiple layers of dry brushing with various matt and metal paints over a satin black base. The only mod to the body is I leaned the windscreen back to line up with the cage which was done in flourescant orange to get just a little colour into it.  I'll try to add pics again later as it isn't letting me just now for some reason. I'm only getting the spinning arrow when I try to add them, so here's a link for now.

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00935.JPG

DSC00945.JPG

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00942.JPG

DSC00943.JPG

Edited by stitchdup
finally got pics to work

Loving your Kubel :D

Funny thing this,  When I decided in my young teen years to stop building mainly military vehicles and warplanes, I happened on a Tamiya Kubel. Cant remember the scale but probably 1/35 or 24, so long ago the early 1970s.

I decided to customise that Kubel as best I could with whatever came to hand in whatever scale, as  long as it looked right to me. It had car parts, tank parts and even 1/72 plane bits n pieces. I don't have any photo's but I do remember painting it a mix of red, white and silver hoping to make some form of metallic pink. It was the nuts as we say.

That Christmas I received a Rommel's Rod which in a way was my transition kit from military vehicles etc to Hot Rods and custom cars.

Loving your Kubel :D

Funny thing this,  When I decided in my young teen years to stop building mainly military vehicles and warplanes, I happened on a Tamiya Kubel. Cant remember the scale but probably 1/35 or 24, so long ago the early 1970s.

I decided to customise that Kubel as best I could with whatever came to hand in whatever scale, as  long as it looked right to me. It had car parts, tank parts and even 1/72 plane bits n pieces. I don't have any photo's but I do remember painting it a mix of red, white and silver hoping to make some form of metallic pink. It was the nuts as we say.

That Christmas I received a Rommel's Rod which in a way was my transition kit from military vehicles etc to Hot Rods and custom cars.

A rommel rod would be a good tow car for this, thanks for putting another idea in my head

Cool! I like the concept, love the weathered look. Well done... B)

A few observations, though. The thickness of the exhaust pipe is way out of scale, much too thick. You should have drilled it out to get the thickness closer to scale. The huge sink mark on the air cleaner should have been filled. Looks to me like the roll cage is much too low... only a headless person could drive the car! And finally, the front brake calipers are magically floating in space... they aren't connected to anything! Same with the "magic floating" alternator.

I only point out these things because it looks to me like you have quite a bit of talent... you just need to pay closer attention to the details, and your models will be that much better. ;)

I really like this build. I agree on some of the constructive criticism regarding a few small details but, unless You wanna put a good heap of money to buy photo-etched parts, this is about how you can build your models.

I've built one of the Kübels myself, but mine is from the company Blue Tank and had a very "toyish" chassie and interior. I scratchbuilt the complete chassie and interior and turned it into a "street rod". I kept it curbside though and used an engine-dummy from a Hasegawa VW Bus.

Keep up the good work and let us see more of your talanted work!

I really like this build. I agree on some of the constructive criticism regarding a few small details but, unless You wanna put a good heap of money to buy photo-etched parts, this is about how you can build your models.

I've built one of the Kübels myself, but mine is from the company Blue Tank and had a very "toyish" chassie and interior. I scratchbuilt the complete chassie and interior and turned it into a "street rod". I kept it curbside though and used an engine-dummy from a Hasegawa VW Bus.

Keep up the good work and let us see more of your talanted work!

I think I saw yours on the Koolestkruisers site

• 1 month later...

a Kübelrod - a genius idea.
i think you should re-do the rollcage and the exhaust - can be done on the finished model and will improve the result a lot!

I agree. Very cool concept, just needs a little refinement.