Model Cars Magazine Forum

How did we manage to survive?

As I mentioned above, just because we survived doesn't mean everyone else did.

Bike helmets

In North Carolina, where bicycle helmets are compulsory for children, the North Carolina Department of Transportation published a fact sheet stating that a bicyclist is killed or injured approximately every six hours and that helmets reduce the risk of head injury by as much as 85% and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88%.[40] The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2006, 773 bicyclists were killed in the US. In a speech arguing for helmet legislation in the UK Parliament, an MP said: "In a three-year period from 2003, 17,786 children aged 14 and under were admitted to NHS hospitals in England because of injuries incurred while cycling"[41]

Seat Belts

In a series of papers utilizing a large sample of parental reports of injuries among children aged 4-7, belt-positioning booster seats (the dominant form of child safety seat for this age group) have been found to reduce significant injuries by approximately 60% relative to seat belts 

Dangers of Riding in a Truck Bed 

Most states don’t view riding in a the back of a truck as an especially dangerous activity that must be discouraged. For example, violation of North Carolina’s law is only an infraction with a maximum fine of $25. However, many people have died in accidents because they were riding in a truck bed. Last year, Alabama’s Representative Kerry Rich introduced a bill to prohibit people under the age of 19 from riding in the back of a pickup truck after a fatal accident killed four people sitting in the back of a pickup truck. The law faced opposition and did not pass. So, while it may be legal for adults and certain children to ride in a truck bed, be sure to do so safely. If you’ve been in an accident while riding in a truck bed and were injured, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney for help. - See more at: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/06/is-it-legal-to-ride-in-the-back-of-a-truck.html#sthash.DdUYfe1H.dpuf

Y'all living in ole nostalgialand ... I drove cross-country  a few years ago with my wife and daughter in a ford svt contour, with luggage appropriate in weight for a wife and teenage daughter . Somewhere in Montana I set the cruise control (the little stick on the other side of the directional stick that you old farts leave on) to 105 and held the wheel with dry hands while in full conversation with the family who didn't realize I was going that much faster than the 80 mph limit ... I couldnt do that with my pop's 1968 galaxie 428 cop car without leaving the road surface ...

nowadays, my wife drives an Infiniti with over 100 hp more than that svt and gets better gas mileage ... and looks a thousand times better than those "classic" cars ... from the inside 

... I set the cruise control (the little stick on the other side of the directional stick that you old farts leave on) to 105  while in full conversation with the family who didn't realize I was going that much faster than the 80 mph limit ... 

Hmmm...lets just think about how totally cool you are. 25 miles-per-hour over the posted limit while in "full conversation with the family".

The car's obviously a LOT more competent than you.

You ever seen what a "family" looks like when they experience a sudden stop from striking a fixed object at 105 MPH? Or roll after blowing a tire?

I have. Vehicle occupants that often look like hamburger. Yeah, that's the way to take care of the kids.

Buy a "safe" car, drive like a moron.

My apologies if my response seems harsh...but 105, with the family, in conversation? Really?

4047b601681ddb70d53b01ff9ca063ba32dda948

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

No power steering, power brakes (drums were good for about two stops), padded dash (solid steel), seat belts, air bags and locking seat backs.  There was AM radio and safety glass.  It's a wonder anyone survived!

What time period are you talkin' here?

My '63 Olds, same one I drove in HS in the late '60s, has big 'ol vacuum-assisted and finned drum brakes that will put you through the windshield, factory seatbelts...that I always used...a padded dash, and power steering. 

Even the old man's '55 Olds had power steering, power brakes and a padded dash.

I'm just not seeing that old cars were all primitive deathtraps and that every drive in the country was flirting with doom and dismemberment.

Of course, it probably wasn't "safe" to run them at 105 MPH while in "full conversation with the family". ;)

Buy a "safe" car, drive like a moron.

My apologies if my response seems harsh...but 105, with the family, in conversation? Really?

lol ... I'm not going to argue for stupidity officer ... I deserve the harsh reprimand ... my point was that "modern" cars are overlooked for what they are and we take them for granted for what great machines they are.

"Design" from the earlier eras was glitz that may get us nostalgic, but really was just superficial style ...

but note: I did take a performance driving course, chauffeured VIPs, transported special vehicles for Lincoln in the NE region, haven't been ticketed since 1985, and most importantly, got a scratch from someone else in a parking garage as the only accident in decades of driving ... I may be stupid (and cool) but I'm not totally crazy. And I certainly wouldn't drive a 57 Belair like I would a new Chevrolet SS ...

Edited by LaughingIndian
spelling

With updated suspension, brakes, EFI and some good tires, an old car can be just as reliable and safe as anything modern (with the exception of airbags), and much more exciting to drive in my opinion. Mike Finnegan hit the nail on the head with this quote..."If you can't pull into a gas station and strike up a conversation with your fellow man over your car, what are you doin'?" 

Old cars are fun to look at at car shows, cruise-ins, etc, but I really wouldn't want to drive one with any regularity. I'll stick w/ modern cars for the daily grind....I started driving in the mid 80s with mid 80s cars, those didn't even have cup holders, CD players, airbags, or ABS!   My first few cars even had disk brakes only in the front..somehow I survived.. :)

The 64 Nova in my Avitar picture IS my daily driver. Built it myself from a wreck I traded for.. Has updates done to it. Runs a street rod Mustang II suspension, rack N pinion steering, disk brakes and tilt wheel. Just those upgrades by themselves made a BIG difference in how the car stops and steers now. EFI conversions still costs a ton of $$$$. so i'll stick to the dual carbs on the inline six banger that I built myself using parts from several engines. Interior is from a 00 Concorde / Intrepid. with shoulder belts front and rear too. even a CD player from a 99 Saturn. So its comfy inside like a new car..Manual everything. no electronic gizmos to quit working..I can work and repair parctically anything on this car in my driveway without having to having to take it to a shop or have a million dollars worth of specialized tools or be an IT tech just to do basic maintiance on it...Drive it all the time in all kinds of weather. Gets lots of looks and conversations going with people you'd otherwise never talk to..Always have folks wanting to buy it. I will NEVER drive another overpriced/ getting into perpetual debt plastic throw away computerized electronic problems plauged over complicated boring souless late model again..

Edited by Rotorbolt73

lol ... I'm not going to argue for stupidity officer ... I deserve the harsh reprimand ... my point was that "modern" cars are overlooked for what they are and we take them for granted for what great machines they are.

They put airbags in new cars because some of these folks deserve a good pop in the face!  :P

I don't suppose any of you guys have ever skydived or rode a motorcycle have you?

I graduated Airborne School in Ft. Benning (11B1P1); that qualifies me for the former. I wanted the 100 bucks jump pay (tax-free btw) because my monthly regular pay was $300 after taxes in 1979. That went pretty fast in Clarksville, Tn. bars.

I like to cross the street with my eyes closed...

:P

That's what some do on their first jump, in addition to wetting themselves. They always end up blaming that on a busted or open canteen. ;)  :) 

Edited by SfanGoch

I owned a motorcycle and enjoyed riding until my disability caused me to sell it. ATV riding also. No way I would jump out of a plane....

I stopped Riding after removing the 4th Drivers Side rearview Mirror with a strightened Right leg while accelerating and hitting my horn as a Car wandered into my lane without looking to see if there was anyone there. The Bike was a 1984 Wineberry Red GoldWing - Hardly something one doesn't notice.

As to No Way would you Jump outta a Plane, here's something to ponder.......... THE 2 most dangerous time i a Plane Ride are the Take Off and the Landing. By Jumping you're bypassing 1/2 of the Danger in Flying!!!:rolleyes:

Here's my daily driver.

It still has the stock I beam axle, the only upgrades, other that refurbishing back to stock specs, are gas shocks, front and rear anti-sway bars, radial tires, and a steering stabilizer. It's still manual steering and manual brakes. It gets driven rain, shine, or snow (unless the snow is really bad, then I break out my 4x4). I will admit to a few safety/performance improvement concessions, seat belts, halogen headlamps, LED turn signal/brake lights, and for the dumb people who like to ride too close where they cant see the brake lights, a period correct 3rd brake light.

I