Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford Roadster - channelled

Phildaupho

This model is a tribute to Jack Morgan’s ’34 Roadster which was on the first full color cover of Hot Rod magazine – April 1951. The magazine had a full feature article on the roadster with a cut-away drawing. This was the third similar car that the owner Jack Morgan built. It was fast - being timed at over 127 mph by the Southern California Timing Association. The car disappeared without a trace but its look influenced many hot rods that followed.

The model was built very quickly as a curbside prop for my fictitious April Fools Hot Rod magazine cover.

I used an AMT 5-Window Coupe that I cut the top off and channelled it over the stock frame and suspension. I adapted the cowl, hood and grill from the Revell ’37 Ford Pickup and added some louvers to the top and sides.

DSCN2990DSCN2991DSCN2989

Very nice for a quickie!   :)   I like the history of it, too many of these cars disappeared without a trace. It makes ya wonder if they were hacked up for the next rod or are sitting somewhere waiting to be discovered!

Hopefully sitting somewhere waiting to be discovered. Nice work.