Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy for the Dio.

landman

I have this 1951 Chevy which likely is one of my least successful builds of all time. I remember having all sorts of problems trying to put this thing together. So instead of restoring it I'll take it apart  and use it in the resto shop of my diorama. It'll be a freshly stripped chassis which hasn't been cleaned up yet. A few parts will be scattered about and some of the body parts will be shown under restoration. I'll use this to practice some weathering techniques and some fabbing. If I break something, it won't be a great loss.

The frame has open channels at the top. I closed that up with thin styrene strips.

Similarly the gas tank has only a bottom so I raised the walls a bit and made a top with some corrugated siding sheet. Added a drain plug.

Fabbed up a poseable steering using the original spindles and tie rods with some tubing & rod bits.

The rear shocks' top mounted to the floor pan so I made up some upper shock mount brackets.

Thanks guys for the nice words.

Now is decision time. Do I go the salt route to make some rust specks & runs or do I go the full rust coverage with grime, streaks and stains added after? After looking at some on the web, I think that the second option would meet the goal more nicely as 1951 is 65 years of gime to collect. There wouldn't be much black showing anymore.

Mitch, the brake lines are 26 GA wire and the fuel line is 24 GA. Both come from the jewelry/beading section of stores. The 24 was Walmart. the other one may have been Michaels.

As far as the black, this was my inspiration, and you are right, there is a bit of black shoeing on the inside.

51%20Chevy.jpg

This will be continued here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/97646-background-diorama-flatheads-to-boxers-engine-rebuilders/?page=6#comment-1618176

Edited by landman
Aded info.