Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth Fury. Update, 7/27, WHEW!

Steve, I know you like scratch building stuff for your cars, but are you aware that Replicas & Miniatures Co. of MD makes an assortment of 8 different resin cast master cylinders, 2 with boosters for only $7.50 

Yeah Richard, I know that there's a lot of this stuff out there in resin.

Problem is, I usually don't need them.......until I need them. :D

I don't mind making a few parts here & there for a project.

As a matter of fact, most of the parts I do use a lot, no one seems to make.

When someone starts casting nice mirrors, I'll probably keep him in business!

Steve

Yeah Richard, I know that there's a lot of this stuff out there in resin.

Problem is, I usually don't need them.......until I need them. :D

I don't mind making a few parts here & there for a project.

As a matter of fact, most of the parts I do use a lot, no one seems to make.

When someone starts casting nice mirrors, I'll probably keep him in business!

Steve

Yeah, the only caster that makes decent outside mirrors is Modelhaus and they only make 2 styles... the rectangular ones, and the round ones with sort of a tunneled look...  I've gotten lucky and found some of the 2 piece mirrors (base and mirror like the ones in the '59 Chevy kits) on chrome trees at shows and from friends, but I've already used all of those that I had so now I just have the Modelhaus ones. 

I'm glad that some-one else recommended the brake master cylinder upgrade before I did ! Thanks , Bill A. , for suggesting that :D.

Steve , that looks so much better than that piece of dung that was there originally . But , I do have to give Jo-Han some credit ; at least they attempted to simulate a master cylinder , whereas AMT and MPC just left a smooth spot on the firewall of their kits !

I'm glad that some-one else recommended the brake master cylinder upgrade before I did ! Thanks , Bill A. , for suggesting that :D.

Steve , that looks so much better than that piece of dung that was there originally . But , I do have to give Jo-Han some credit ; at least they attempted to simulate a master cylinder , whereas AMT and MPC just left a smooth spot on the firewall of their kits !

As I said John, I usually try to limit myself on the improvements that I do on these annuals.

You could go on forever with some of the engines & the chassis, especially with Johan.

Plus I always like to try to keep these rare kits as close to original as possible.

Just a thing of mine.

But, I guess as long as I'm doing a little messing with this one, a master cylinder is not a huge deal.

Don't expect much for changes to the chassis! :P

Steve

Yeah, the only caster that makes decent outside mirrors is Modelhaus and they only make 2 styles... the rectangular ones, and the round ones with sort of a tunneled look...  I've gotten lucky and found some of the 2 piece mirrors (base and mirror like the ones in the '59 Chevy kits) on chrome trees at shows and from friends, but I've already used all of those that I had so now I just have the Modelhaus ones. 

The main problem that I have with Modelhaus mirrors is that they're just copies of original annual mirrors, which were not great to start with.

I used that same '59 Chevy kit mirror to make a mold & I started resin casting my own.

With modest success. :)

Steve

As I said John, I usually try to limit myself on the improvements that I do on these annuals.

You could go on forever with some of the engines & the chassis, especially with Johan.

Plus I always like to try to keep these rare kits as close to original as possible.

Just a thing of mine.

But, I guess as long as I'm doing a little messing with this one, a master cylinder is not a huge deal.

Don't expect much for changes to the chassis! :P

Steve

I know what you mean . I'm s-l-o-w-l-y building an AMT 1969 Chevelle SS-396 Convertible (the recent re-issue from Round2) and have limited my-self to using the kit's custom hood scoop and front & rear fascias . Bonnet will be 'glued' shut ; interior will be black ; not sure on wheels yet ; and just a nice paint job ( Aztec Gold ) . Okay , I shaved the door handles and side emblems , but kept the side markers and the 'Chevelle' emblems on the front and rear .

I have kits that I've avoided getting into simply because they "require" some changes / additions . I can't bring my-self to building them straight-out-of-the-box .

While I enjoy a nicely-detailled chassis , I don't personally prioritise them on my builds . I concentrate on correct colours and clean assembly , and that's it .

BTW , that single-well master cylinder looks great !

BTW , that single-well master cylinder looks great !

Thanks John!

I still may do a little "tweaking" on it later.

As long as I have the body parts ready to paint, I'll be busy with that stuff for a while & I can revisit some of the details later.

I'm sure I've got a good month or two left to go on this one before it's finished.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember the last time a paint job fought me like this one has.

Trouble from start to finish!

But I think it's finally ready for clear coats.

This is the longest build I've done in 3 or 4 years!

Just can't seem to get things moving along.

I started this project a month & a half ago, & I've just now got the color coats on!?

Man, somethings gotta give! :P

Anyway, here it is with some color.

Steve

photo DSCN5224_zpsd6o90ngo.jpg photo DSCN5219_zpsfghaocds.jpg photo DSCN5222_zpsailefykd.jpg photo DSCN5218_zpsadsajxly.jpg

Yeah, it looked good until this morning.

After the first coat of clear, I noticed a couple of pieces of "fuzz" had gotten in the clear on the hood.

I lightly sanded them out thinking that the little bit of sanding that I did wouldn't have gone through the clear to the paint.

Well, I guess I was wrong.

After applying a second clear coat, I'm now noticing some "blushing" in the sanded areas!

I just can't win for losing on this build!

I'm just about ready to give up on it!

Steve

Steve don't give up!

It's lookin' too dang nice to let it go! I can empathize with you about kits "fighting back". The '59 Chevy I did gave me so much trouble right up to the end, but I was DETERMINED to finally get it done! Maybe it would be easier to just repaint the hood, and clearcoat it again? You mention "blushing"-----in the clear itself, or in the color coats?

If it's just in the clearcoat, maybe sanding the whole thing and clearcoating it again might work?

Just throwing out some ideas.......this is coming along to beautifully just to shelve it. ;)

Steve don't give up!

It's lookin' too dang nice to let it go! I can empathize with you about kits "fighting back". The '59 Chevy I did gave me so much trouble right up to the end, but I was DETERMINED to finally get it done! Maybe it would be easier to just repaint the hood, and clearcoat it again? You mention "blushing"-----in the clear itself, or in the color coats?

If it's just in the clearcoat, maybe sanding the whole thing and clearcoating it again might work?

Just throwing out some ideas.......this is coming along to beautifully just to shelve it. ;)

Thanks Bill.

I'm assuming the color differential is because I sanded a little into the color & it was looking a little darker in those areas after a subsequent clear coat.

I've spent a good portion of the afternoon trying to remedy the situation, but it just seems to be getting worse!

I started be shooting another light coat of color over the clear.

That seemed to take care of the color problem.

Then it all went south again when I shot another coat of clear over the top & for some ridiculous reason the clear almost seems to be beading up on the hood!?

I let it dry for a while & then hit it with another coat of clear.

Same thing!

I can't remember ever having a paint job that was so frustrating in my entire life!

It's just been a complete fiasco!

My only options now are to let it dry for a while, maybe try one more coat & then sand it smooth if necessary & then try one more clear coat.

If that fails, I'll have to strip it & start over.

Then the question of whether or not I have enough paint left rears it's head.

I may have to order more paint!

If that's the case, this build goes bye-bye for a while until I get the rancid taste out of my mouth!

You may be seeing a '63 Bonneville in my very near future!

Steve

• 1 month later...

This car looks too darn good, we have to see

it finished!  And I love that color!!

David S.

I'd like to see more of this build.

Thanks guys!

I haven't entirely given up on this build yet.

I started on my '62 Chrysler convertible & had a minor problem with the hood on that one as well.

So while I was at it, I stripped the hoods on both of them & got them both primed again & ready for paint.

I have very little of the color left for the Plymouth, but I am still hoping to have enough to do the hood again.

I may give it a shot over the next couple of days & hope that I can make it work this time.

If that's the case, I'll get back to work on this one & hopefully get it done over the next few weeks.

Let's cross our fingers! <_<

Steve