Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Question using Don Yost Method

I recently tried Don Yost's method of painting using the good ole old Testors enamel small bottle paint, and cheap Wal-Mart lacquer thinner...  I just got probably the smoothest and shiniest paint jobs I ever did (at least before polishing).  I think I can hear Don saying "See I told you so" ! :)

Anyway, this is a clear coat question.  While this is nice and shiny, I do want to clear it.  I bought a bottle of Testors clear.  The label says Testors Model Master Custom Enamel System, but the name is gloss lacquer.  

Did I buy the correct clear ?  Is this clear enamel but just named "gloss lacquer" ?  I don't want to hit my nice enamel paint job with lacquer and ruin it.

JJ  

Maybe Donn will jump in to answer but I would tell you to test. Use a scrap of the plastic from your kit AND a plastic spoon and test on both. Same coatings you used on the model then the clear. That will tell you if it reacts. I don't think so because his method uses lacquer thinner right in the enamel...

Believe me, the Testors lacquers will not harm the enamel paint.

I've sprayed Testors lacquer clear coat over everything from enamel & acrylic, to bare plastic.

Keep in mind, if you don't want to chance the lacquer, the Testors enamel clear is guaranteed to yellow over time.

Especially if used on a light color.

This '37 Chevy coupe was a very light, almost pure white 20 years ago when I painted it.

Now, as you can see, it's a lovely butternut yellow! :rolleyes:

Steve

photo DSCN5178_zpsy8zl0hmx.jpg

It's model master enamel systems...only it says gloss lacquer.  I'm thinking it must be enamel.   It already looks yellowed in the bottle, but the model is black so I think it'll be OK.

I wouldn't worry too much about using enamel if the model is black.

But my guess is, if the bottle says "lacquer", it's probably lacquer.

But the Testors lacquers are so mild, I doubt it will matter at all.

As I said, I've used the Testors spray lacquers over almost everything with no issues.

Steve

Believe me, the Testors lacquers will not harm the enamel paint.

I've sprayed Testors lacquer clear coat over everything from enamel & acrylic, to bare plastic.

Keep in mind, if you don't want to chance the lacquer, the Testors enamel clear is guaranteed to yellow over time.

Especially if used on a light color.

This '37 Chevy coupe was a very light, almost pure white 20 years ago when I painted it.

Now, as you can see, it's a lovely butternut yellow! :rolleyes:

Steve

photo DSCN5178_zpsy8zl0hmx.jpg

Hope all the other parts (headlamp shells, hood) still match...that color actually looks pretty nice!