Model Cars Magazine Forum

IH Transtar Eagle II COE- decent kit?

I'm looking at building the above kit modeled after one my step dad drove for years. I haven't seen many builds of this particular model, and looking for opinions on its quality of build. Are they're any serious fit issues, or quirks that I should be aware of before jumping in?

I remember riding shotgun a few times running salt from local mine to the  pads, and a longer trip into Canada to a oil refinery for a load of HOT oil for the local paving company

Thanks for anyone's input 

Its a great kit, one of my favourites. The only thing I would do is move the battery box back about 1/8 inch or so and also move both fuel tanks back as well to keep them lined up.  By moving back the battery box it allows the front wheels to be in a turned position without hitting the battery box.  Here are a few of mine.  The daycab Transcon is actually the Transtar 11 Eagle just back dated as best I could to represent the CO 4070A

ih collection 001.JPG

ih collection 002.JPG

ih collection 004.JPG

Thanks for the compliments.  I know that an unbuilt kit is pricey and hard to come by so you may want to have a look at buying a rebuilder.  Only the yellow Ryder was a fresh kit, the others were built up junkers that I restored.  In fact I am working on two CO 4070A junkers and two more Transtar Eagles.  Until this kit is reissued builtups can be a cheap way to get what you want on your shelf.

Thank you again everyone, I have noticed the prices are steep for these lately.  I never thought to watch for rebuilders..seems a very good option.

Luckily the truck I rode in hasn't been scrapped yet, but the owner said it's in sorry shape...guess the frame and cab have been rotted driving  thru the harsh NY winters

Does the kit allow for the day cab?  

I built one of these a long time ago (back in the late 80's) and after what I remember it went together quite easy and was well detailed.
I have one more in my stash so one of these days I'm going to have another go at one.