Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dupli-color Metal Paint

m408

Guest Gramps-xrds

I was just reading some posts and there was one that (I believe he said plasicote) was comprable to alcad and spaz stix. ( haven't tried these either) I'm sure gonna though. It's cheaper and easier to get.

I brought a can and have used it a few times. I was not overly impressed. It is better than any other one part “Chrome†paint that I tried but it will not replace Alclad or a good chrome plating service but it is better than the other bottle chrome/silver paints. It is an enamel paint, so be careful with it. I have not tried this, but I want to paint a car with this and then over spray it with a candy top coat. That may look crazy. I think it is worth trying as long as your expectations are not too high.

I brought a can and have used it a few times. I was not overly impressed. It is better than any other one part “Chrome†paint that I tried but it will not replace Alclad or a good chrome plating service but it is better than the other bottle chrome/silver paints. It is an enamel paint, so be careful with it. I have not tried this, but I want to paint a car with this and then over spray it with a candy top coat. That may look crazy. I think it is worth trying as long as your expectations are not too high.

• 2 weeks later...

Milt

I've got about 4-5 different spray cans of chrome paint in my cabinet

I'll spray each on a seperate plastic spoon (labeling which paint was used on each spoon) then after they have dried will get them to ya

just use the samples to determine which one gives you the finish you want

they may say chrome, but the results do vary quite a bit

can mail to ya or we can meet in campbell, i work in san jose

drop me a pm with phone # and we can work it out

c'ya

Milt,

Here's some pictures of a bike that I did with Duplicolor Chrome. It's only on the frame. It's decent but it won't be replacing Alclad any time soon. The main thing I dislike is that it is an enamel. It took over two weeks to completely cure. Other than that I would use it again for covering large areas, especially for the price.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Milt,

Here's some pictures of a bike that I did with Duplicolor Chrome. It's only on the frame. It's decent but it won't be replacing Alclad any time soon. The main thing I dislike is that it is an enamel. It took over two weeks to completely cure. Other than that I would use it again for covering large areas, especially for the price.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Seemed to work out well Brendan. Couple of questions.

How well would a dehydrator aide in drying time?

How to get added gloss? I tried Duplicolor clear over a spoon test and it turned the sample grey.

Milt

• 2 weeks later...
Seemed to work out well Brendan. Couple of questions.

How well would a dehydrator aide in drying time?

How to get added gloss? I tried Duplicolor clear over a spoon test and it turned the sample grey.

Milt

I'm not a big fan of using a dehydrator on metallic finishes. I've seen them dry in patches before. It makes the paint look bad. But I also know people who have had good luck with it too.

As for making it glossier, the only thing I can recommend is Future Clear Acrylic. There's something in the enamel paints in their metallics so if you put a clear over the top it ruins the finish.