Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early 80's Ford Van Ambulances?

Has anyone ever had any success replicating the hinged side doors of these rigs?  I am trying to replicate several ambulances and paramedic units that I served on early in my Emergency Medical Services(EMS) career.  

I look forward to seeing anyone's projects, hearing their solutions, and feedback!  Thanks!

David

Your photos show the driver side but I assume you mean the passenger side doors. If so, I made an '85 GMC that my daughter had and had to make dual hinged side doors from the sliding door of the kit. This is the under glass post of it and if you want to delve deeper here is the build thread, which is quite detailed concerning how I handled the doors. Sorry, but the things I did converting the doors are spread through the 17 pages of the tread.

here's a shot of the side doors as a quick check

ReneesVanDSC_1053_zpsfdec586e.jpgI'm sure many here would like to see what you're doing with these vans.

Edited by Foxer

I might be able to help you out a little bit with this one, I did in fact convert the sliding door to swing open on one, and what I did , since I was making an extended WB/LB version, I had to use two kits, so I used the hinges from the rear doors for the side doors.

Edited by martinfan5

Thanks Mike and Jonathan!  I did take a set of rear doors and cut them to go on the side.  After numerous measurements, cuts, filling, etc, I realized that they were too short and didn't match up with the rest of the body.  Going to use Mikes excellent example and techniques and give it a try!  Thanks again guys!

David

I might be able to help you out a little bit with this one, I did in fact convert the sliding door to swing open on one, and what I did , since I was making an extended WB/LB version, I had to use two kits, so I used the hinges from the rear doors for the side doors.

IMG_0622_zps0148cc96.jpg

Wow Jonathan!  That's super cool.  I see you can build outside your Japanese comfort zone! 

Holding out on us eh Jonathan?

Using multiple copies of one kit to produce your ambulance is, in my mind, the best way to go. Adding sections of body, chassis and interior floor to me seems easier.

The doors could be replicated by seam filling and scribing new panel lines.  Using the spare hinges as Jonathan did is, again IMHO, the best bet here. 

Now if you want opening doors and detailed interior, there will be a lot more work. :blink:

Do-able but strap in for a long wild ride.

G

Good luck with this project,  To be correct the extended section in the rear is actually wider then the van body itself, You can use the rear doors but you have to keep the roll pan below the doors and extend the scribes into it. You are going to have to smash two kits at least so I would use the second one to make a cargo van cut off type ambulance also.

I can't understand how you could have a 'mobile intensive care' ambulance on a low top van. Was it a factory or home built ambulance?

The blue Braun in the background, I have the scene light pods for that.

I have Ford body panel book with dimensions if your interested PM me

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
corrections