Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '30 Show Rod coupe

Spex84

Fantastic work, Chris! Now that I've seen your modified roof version I can't not see the inaccuracies when I scroll up to earlier pictures of the project.  

This is going to make for a situation where once finished if your model is sitting next to someone elses built from this kit yours is going to look a lot more "right" but leave people wondering why. 

B)

I gave in and decided it was time to try coaxing the body into something I'm more satisfied with...so the top has been sanded across the back panel to make it flatter (a little too much on the driver's side, oops), the top has been split and wedged to force the back panel into a vertical orientation (parallel with the door cut lines), the quarter windows were split and forced into a shape that I feel is more consistent with 1:1 chopped '30 coupes, and the visor was split and re-glued after removing some material so it would take on a slightly bowed appearance, as per the 1:1 example. Visor still needs work, has a duck-bill appearance.

Also, the door top seams were cut open and the door tops forced into a slight curve.

Finally, because I'm using a Monogram '30 dashboard, it worked as a template to remove a little material from the bottom corners of the windshield opening. Now the kit windshield won't fit and I'll have to make a new one, but at least the curve is a bit more pronounced.

Cleaning up all the cut seams will add work, but I'm much happier with the roof shape now.

30ShowRod2_Aug7_sm_zpsjli3kfqh.jpg

Really nice modifications.

This is a very nice kit, but the roof is the main issue for me.

Del--appreciate the feedback, but I must protest!

The Monogram 1/24 '30 has arched door windows (correct) and arched door-top cut lines (incorrect).

The new Revell '30 has straight/square windows (incorrect) and straight door-top cut lines (correct).

The 1:1 '30 coupe has arched door windows, and straight door-top cut lines.

Here are some 1:1 interior shots that clearly show the subtle curve of the door tops:

Dang it, that should be "subtle curve of the upper window openings" NOT the door tops. The door tops are straight, as can be seen in the door opening on the yellow coupe.

If it isn't one thing it is another.  Either way your top looks much better than the out of the box version.  

Over all a very cool concept and build.

Edited by Taxdude