Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have no experience with U-pol 796 as yet.

However, U-Pol Power Can 804 clear has had some glowing recommendations and is said to be safe over Tamiya TS colors and automotive basecoats and touchup sprays like Duplicolor.

It's also considerably cheaper than 796, which is marketed as being "UV resistant"...not really necessary for model work.

When Tamiya TS-13 clear became unobtanium a few years back, I tested U-Pol Power Can Clear mentioned by Bill above. I will never go back to Tamiya clear! I love it.

Word of warning, the spray can and nozzle itself are not great. If you shoot the clear directly from the spray can, it can easily overpower the paint/primer and craze the plastic underneath. In that respect Tamiya kills it. I really can't recommend it if you don't airbrush it, unless you properly seal the plastic. And it might very well spray just poorly enough to cause orange peel.

BUT...I decant and airbrush the U-Pol, thinning it anywhere from 10-30% with Mr. Color Thinner, and it is amazing how smooth it flows from the airbrush and even resists running. It also dries fast, I've had zero issues of it attacking paint/plastic/decals, and I've also tested it as a sealer between primer coats and it so far has worked perfectly as a sealer. 

It doesn't polish out as easily as Tamiya, but that's the "cost" of having a far more durable surface that won't get sticky from handling.

I can get roughly 10 models cleared from a single can of U-Pol. TP Tools in Ohio seems to be the only place to reliably find it, whether their own website or Ebay.

Not cheap per can..but i use it all the time. I reallt like it. I use it over duplicolor laquer most of the time. But have used it over testors enamel as well. Never tried it over any Tamaya paint yet

Ps. Its a urethane so spray outdoors and /or wear a resperator

It doesn't polish out as easily as Tamiya, but that's the "cost" of having a far more durable surface that won't get sticky from handling.

That's been my experience with Testor Wet Look Clear, too. Takes a LOT of polishing. To cut down on time, I'll first wet-sand any dust, specs, orange peel or uneven areas with #1500 or #2000 Wetordry, wet, and then start polishing with Turtle Wax Heavy Duty polish. It comes in a green tub and is brick-red in color instead of white. Cuts MUCH faster and better than my beloved Wright's Silver Cream. I'll finish up the polish with the Wright's, of course. Doing the whole polish job with Wrights would take four to five times as long.

• 1 year later...

Word of warning! I restocked late last year U-Pol Power Can Clear and it resulted in 3 failed clearcoats. It cracks...badly...over time, unlike the previous cans I used. A friend had the same bad results. He got some of the pricey UV-resistant stuff and it hasn't cracked. I've since reverted to mixing Gunze solvent-based clear and have been given an old can of U-Pol clear by a friend who likes using Gravity Colors clears.