Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, 10/17, So Close I Can Taste It!!

StevenGuthmiller

Just finished the engine.

This is the engine from the Revell '68 Charger.

It's a very nice piece!

I added some wiring & plumbing, including some carb linkage & return spring, a scratch built fuel filter & line, & a dip stick.

The rest is all from the kit.

Man I hate putting those decals on these "conical" shaped air cleaners!

By the way, Thank you to "Casey" for the '69 Charger Decals!

That's where the air cleaner decal came from.

Appreciate it Casey!! ;)

Steve

photo DSCN5498_zps3cv0qw2g.jpg photo DSCN5492_zpsqnohck3a.jpg photo DSCN5499_zpskiocp2u7.jpg photo DSCN5496_zpsig5sgvkd.jpg photo DSCN5508_zpsn2cxgiup.jpg photo DSCN5506_zpsuzqmzudd.jpg photo DSCN5507_zpsfeupzk8h.jpg

That's a gorgeous Magnum , Steve ! Is that the kit distributor ? If so , how did you correct its position ? The way that Revell has it mounted is incorrect and is junky looking .

Nice work on the overspray on the bellhousing!  

Now , at the risk of being "that guy" : shouldn't the dipstick and its tube be routed between the head and exhaust manifold ?

Not knocking your work by any stretch , just basing my assertion upon seeing countless Chrysler big blocks over the years.

Keep up the great work! 

That's a gorgeous Magnum , Steve ! Is that the kit distributor ? If so , how did you correct its position ? The way that Revell has it mounted is incorrect and is junky looking .

Nice work on the overspray on the bellhousing!  

Now , at the risk of being "that guy" : shouldn't the dipstick and its tube be routed between the head and exhaust manifold ?

Not knocking your work by any stretch , just basing my assertion upon seeing countless Chrysler big blocks over the years.

Keep up the great work! 

No John, it's a M.A.D. pre-wired distributor.

As far as the dipstick goes, I'm not really sure of the correct position, but I've seen them both ways.

I was going off of photos like this.

Steve

1969-Dodge-Coronet-440-RT2-620x413.jpg photo 108bcca43996c9a28e40030f2b93c946_zps16zao2cr.jpg

Dont look now..but your ignition coil is on backwards......sorry hqd to say it.

While im at it. The valve.cover breather should be chrome

The coil is backwards because there was no way I was going to get it in correctly because of the fuel line, filter & vacuum lines.

There's just way too much going on in that corner of the engine.

So I figured, the coil will work the same no matter if it's facing East or West. ;)

As far as the breather goes, I wasn't sure.

I've seen some of both.

Steve

photo 002_zpsftse7vfc.jpg

Excellent work!!!!!!

The engine looks great!

Thanks guys!

I ran into a little bit of unforeseen "fit" issues with the engine that required a little bit of adjustment.

The engine is evidently a little longer than the AMT engine causing the fan to interfere with the radiator.

The only way I could come up with to fix it, (or at least the easiest way) was to bore an impression into the radiator to accept the fan clutch.

Not ideal, but it shouldn't be too evident when finished.

Also, there was a void in the frame to accommodate the oil filter, but it was out of position & not deep enough for the Revell engine.

So a little grinding with the trusty Dremel was required there as well.

I've done a couple of test fits throughout the day, & everything seems to fit ok, I just hope I don't have any major issues upon final assembly.

Time will tell I guess. ^_^

Steve

I think your engine detail looks amazing very neat and clean. About your coil being backwards maybe the guy on the production line had a little hang over, I bet that kind of stuff happened a lot. Great work on your entire build so far.

I stand corrected regarding the placement of the dipstick. It wasn't until the 1970 model year that the' stick changed position , which coincides with the revised valve covets / addition of evapourative emissions controls .

I will have to get me a couple of those MAD distributors .

Hope you dont mind me picking on it ( its all in good fun believe me )

Not at all Bill, I know you're just having a little fun with my ignorance of these cars in general.

I've already gone to much greater lengths than I normally would have to be as correct as possible on this project, mostly because I have an excellent source of information...........You!! :D

But, as Mick Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want".

It'll be close enough for me, even with a few warts.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I love whitelines on any late 60s car, reminds me of the kit tyres in the old AMT annuals, white line one side red line the other.

This is absolutely stellar work as always Steve, Im a big fan of your builds, they are so clean and with a fantastic attention to detail. And I love the colour choice.

Thanks guys!!

I've been stretched out on my back like a corpse, & feeling like one as well, with a nasty virus of some sort for the past few days, so not a lot is happening.

I am now back at work & visions of modeling are beginning to dance through my head, so I hope to be back at it full force this weekend.

There's really not that much left to do so I'm hoping I'll surprise myself & finish it up by the end of the weekend.

I really need to!

It's been entirely too long since I finished a project.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

hate to say it,,but told ya so

You did Bill, which is why I needed to mock it up that way to get a feel for it.

You just absolutely never see these old Mopar B-bodies with white walls any more.

It's pretty much red lines or go home.

Personally, I've never been much of a fan of redlines.

You, my friend, will be getting a lot of credit for many of the things done to this kit, & I thank you for all of the help!

Steve