Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOK enamels - need other reducer options for airbrushing

Monty

I bought several jars of HOK enamels when they came out, but the airbrush reducer was always out of stock. I'd like to find a reducer that can be purchased locally on a same-day basis, as opposed to mail order. And, not to be a jerk but, if you don't actually know the answers from personal experience, I'd rather you didn't speculate on what "might work". The paint is kinda pricey, so i'd rather not experiment till I found the answer. My questions are:

1) Will ModelMaster airbrush reducer give me as good a finish as HOK's?

2) I know a few people who reduce enamels (especially Humbrol) with lacquer thinner; anyone tried it on these HOK paints?

If you've used any of their paints, please post pics and tell me which colors you used.

Thanks!

I tried the Gold and tried MM enamel thinner as well as lacquer thinner . both of them seemed to make the paint clump a little bit and I had trouble getting even coverage. I was using a double action airbrush. I might have had better luck with a single action and a big needle. I had better results with the HOK enamel reducer but had a bad paint job due to user error that time.

I bought several jars of HOK enamels when they came out, but the airbrush reducer was always out of stock. I'd like to find a reducer that can be purchased locally on a same-day basis, as opposed to mail order. And, not to be a jerk but, if you don't actually know the answers from personal experience, I'd rather you didn't speculate on what "might work". The paint is kinda pricey, so i'd rather not experiment till I found the answer. My questions are:

1) Will ModelMaster airbrush reducer give me as good a finish as HOK's?

2) I know a few people who reduce enamels (especially Humbrol) with lacquer thinner; anyone tried it on these HOK paints?

If you've used any of their paints, please post pics and tell me which colors you used.

Thanks!

Are these the "Kustom Kolor" line of paints made by Valspar, the MAKERS of HoK ?(they are not really true HoK paints, but do use some of the same pigments).

Your best bet, since you're not wanting to experiment a bit to see what works (not trying to sound like a jerk here.... :blink: ) would be to contact the makers via the contact info on their website, and ask about compatibility issues:

Here's their FAQS page, and the contact link is at the bottom.

http://www.kustomkolorpaints.com/kustomkolor/FAQ.jsp

I hope you find something locally that will work for you.

You can thin them with PPG Reducers or Acrylic Lacquer Thinners. The DT 870 Reducer from PPG works excellent!

Where can the DT 870 reducer be found?

Timely question Monty, I was just about to do some experimenting with the HOK by Valspar paint and MM airbrush thinner

until Kurth chimed in about the clumping.

Thanks

Ron

Where can the DT 870 reducer be found?

Timely question Monty, I was just about to do some experimenting with the HOK by Valspar paint and MM airbrush thinner

until Kurth chimed in about the clumping.

Thanks

Ron

According to Myles' post above, it's a PPG product, so I assume you could find it at a 1:1 car paint jobber. Check the 'net or your local Yellow Pages. Unfortunately, with my new job it's going to be awhile before I get to shoot any paint. Good luck with yours. Post pics!

According to Myles' post above, it's a PPG product, so I assume you could find it at a 1:1 car paint jobber. Check the 'net or your local Yellow Pages. Unfortunately, with my new job it's going to be awhile before I get to shoot any paint. Good luck with yours. Post pics!

Thanks for the reply Monty,

I'm in the same boat as you with work and there is word of the dreaded Overtime coming soon. So goodbye weekend.

Just gonna have to work with the 30 minutes of free time I get.

Ron

HOK is making a push to the Hobby Shops to make up for the Wally's loss. Some of the shops here carry it now. I talked to their customer service about what the paint is. The rep would only say that it is neither a laquer nor enamel. I suspect a urathane base. They were able to provide a list of retailers that are or will carry the line. Try hobby101.com.

According to Myles' post above, it's a PPG product, so I assume you could find it at a 1:1 car paint jobber.

Indeed...you must get it from an auto paint supplier. Some Carquest Auto Stores have custom paint mixing capabilities, so if you can find one of the stores that does, chances are they will have the reducer's.

i would think a ditzler paint thinner would work.

I have a local paint mixer here, and they make colors for me in 2 oz tubes for like 12, bucks and shake it, add a lil more thiner when i come home, and it helps to do with mist coats, or add some air and bush through brush

i recently was refferred to a guy that was @NNL EAST in jersey, Ill look for his site as he sells HOK products

maybe make friends with local body shop, and they may help you with some thinner, adn vibrate in thier shaker so it mixes throughly before use in aibrush

best i can say off top of head

bill d.

heres what i use

Grow automotive

H.E.T

High Efficiency Technology

laquer thinner

general purpose

100% vergin solvent

this stuff is sent from god himself

you can get it at any automotive paint supply house

it hit me about 15 bucks for a 1 gallon can

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a quart size can of PPG DT 870 at a local paint jobber, and will be trying it out this weekend.

Thanks much for the info on this subject Myles.

The Wal-mart in my area still had some kustom kolor (HOK) paint sets. I picked up a classic colors assortment

with 6 bottles of paint for $9.00. thats $1.50 each bottle. going back this weekend for the other set.

can't beat the price.

Thanks guys

Ron