Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Impala

wgflatliner

So I'm going to be building a twin turbo 427 Impala and need advice.  i would love to be able to fit some slicks under it, and would prefer to scratch build a chassis for it.  I'm not sure how to solder so brass is not an option.  So styrene tubes and rods are going to be used.  I have never built a chassis, so maybe doing a back-half chassis to fit massive slicks is a good place to begin.  Any advice for beginners in this area of building?

i want the slammed and raked look to this build.  Any other advice or ideas I can incorporate to make this build stand out?  I'm fairly versed in model building and some scratch building, just not frames.

Hi Mark,

First of all I think your topic would be better off in the "Questions Forum".

You have a couple of good things going for you already. 

1st, you have the body you want.

2nd, you know what tire you want to use, and the look you want to achieve, meaning the ride height.   This is where you start when you scratch build a car.  From here you go to work.

So, mount the frame and chassis to the body as is.

Next, from upside down, place the fat tire somehow on the frame and between the fenders, and mark where the tubs should be to fit the tire.  You just have to eyeball the deal from underneath, and mark the frame how much material needs to hogged out.  This will give you an idea of how to proceed when the frame bed has been cut out.

You'll have to research this on the internet,  its not rocket science.  A back-half is standard procedure. All suspension details are available and since you're an experienced modeler, thus should not be a big problem.

The biggest problem is actually taking the first step.

it"ll be cool to see a big Impala. If you haven"t already, google  "67 chevy impala drag car chassis", several pics. The gold car is just mean looking, and there's one pic that takes you to superchevy.com   They did an article on it with several interior and chassis shots. (I'm not good with links!)

Edited by signguy2108