Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mako Shark /Custom Corvette ?

Pete L.

Fellas,

Not sure if this is the right topic to put this under but...would someone be kind enough to explain the difference in kit parts between MPC's MAKO SHARK kit and their CUSTOM CORVETTE kit ? 

Thank you,

Pete L.

th.jpg

Custom Vette.jpg

Edited by Pete L.

Wheels and tires are obviously different, entire exhaust system is different, and there are numerous detail changes to the exterior body panels.  The original version was produced through '72 or '73, with the alterations taking place over a couple of issues.  Rather than try to backdate a later one, try searching out a previously built original.  The newer issues can be used as parts donors (engine, chassis, interior, windows).

There are grille inserts for forward hood scoops like the hood bulge inserts. The gas cap door in back is etched in original, and raised with separate cap in later versions. Mark is as usual correct, the exhaust is under car with thin finned detail like hood grilles and dual rectangular exits. The seats of original do not have engraved seat belt detail, the hood bulge lost its Mark IV lettering and the Mako lettering on the side. Plus, the trailer was gone, likely about the time it appeared in full size Impala kits once MPC got the promo contract in '68. 

If you find a builder, or a later issue and a builder, you can fix the rear gas filler by grafting in one of the "oil filler doors" off the parts car hood into deck of the builder. That was my plan until I found the glue bomb I misplaced. :)

I have two MS glue bombs and one mint Custom Vette kit. Was planning to combine the front end of one of the MSs with most of the other parts of the CV to build a good MS. After reading this thread I now see I'll have to use the MS main body too, and most of the interior. Oh well.

Seatbelts irrelevant unless you're nuts like me. Rear deck not much of a deal, you could sand and etch recessed cap door. I'm lazy and hate scribing small circles hence deck graft. U think the Mako script is on hood not side. MCG has script set too IIRC with Mk IV for hood too. 

One more thing about this kit: I've never seen one where the front end fits the body. It's wider, though it can be squeezed to match up perfectly. I have the old one I built as a kid, and two eBay glue bombs, and an unbuilt Custom Vette kit, and they're all the same way. The problem seems to be fixable one way or the other, but it's something to keep in mind when building this kit. (i.e., it's nowhere near as bad as the '57 Vette gasser.

In fact MPC people updated the original factory Mako Shark concept car kit, to a 70s street & custom Mako vette look: 1st with the Street Shark in 73, then the Fever Vette of the late 70s & the Custom Vette in the 80s (mostly the fever with different decals), with as already mention a few changes to parts/decals from one revised reissue to another.

Back in the 70s a few aftermarket Cos were manufacturing fiberglass parts to convert 1/1 C3 Vettes to a Mako Shark, MPC people took notice & gave us the Street: Shark / Fever & Custom Ones:

mako3.jpg

Model Car Garage offers a small photoetch set for a Mako Shark.  It's probably intended for the AMT/Ertl snap kit of the earlier Shark, but from the looks of it several items could be used on this one.  It's under ten bucks (no grille or other large items) so it's worth looking into if you intend to jump into one of these kits.  I've got a couple of originals, the Street Shark, and probably a couple of the more recent ones...should check them all against one another and see exactly what revisions were made to which parts.  Some of the chassis and engine parts in these kits were also used in the Carl Casper Turbo Shark ('63-'67 custom) kit, later reissued (only once) as the Demon 'Vette.

Here's evolution of Mako II into Manta Ray 2

There was a side-pipe version of the Mako II that has finned look the kit full pipes have. I love those, wish they could tool those plus original exhaust, fix a few little things, and give us a fade decal for a re-issue. 

corvette_mako_shark_ii_concept_car_2.jpg

69-Corvette_Manta_Ray_DV-08_MB-07.jpgch1965mantarayconcept5801.jpg

Here's evolution of Mako II into Manta Ray 2

There was a side-pipe version of the Mako II that has finned look the kit full pipes have. I love those, wish they could tool those plus original exhaust, fix a few little things, and give us a fade decal for a re-issue. 

corvette_mako_shark_ii_concept_car_2.jpg

69-Corvette_Manta_Ray_DV-08_MB-07.jpg

FYI....these are two different cars.  

There were two Mako Shark II's.  The first one (your first pic) was a non-running display piece with the finned side exhausts, and later a second fully-functional  version was built without the side exhausts (among other changes). The second one was the version kitted by MPC and later modified into the Manta Ray (your second pic).

1st Mako Shark II.jpg

2nd Mako Shark II.jpg

I know they're 2 diff cars. The side pipes didn't make it, but wish they had. Hence post. I assumed many people had never seen the styling buck, and it is interesting. 

The Mako was rebuilt into the Manta per Chuck Jordan. Has ZL1 hood bulge badges  well before engine announced. 

If you look at Mako I and II in pic, and Manta and Mako I, and you can see the chop, couple inches easy. 

I think I just need to stop posting this stuff. Sorry.

I know they're 2 diff cars. The side pipes didn't make it, but wish they had. Hence post. I assumed many people had never seen the styling buck, and it is interesting. 

The Mako was rebuilt into the Manta per Chuck Jordan. Has ZL1 hood bulge badges  well before engine announced. 

If you look at Mako I and II in pic, and Manta and Mako I, and you can see the chop, couple inches easy. 

I think I just need to stop posting this stuff. Sorry.

Christian...my post wasn't a jab at you.  I was just contributing to the topic for anyone who might be confused as to the two similar-appearing Mako II's.

The other day, I ordered a couple of Model Car Garage photoetch sets.  While I was at it, I threw in the one that I mentioned above.  Though the MCG packaging shows the earlier Mako Shark (the one Ertl did the snap kit and retro promo of), the set is actually for the old MPC kit we're talking about here.  The set includes "MARK IV 427" and "ZL-1" emblems, door handles, and Mako Shark and Corvette scripts.  There aren't any big, fiddly pieces like grilles included, so the set is small which keeps the price down.  I only paid $7.50 for it, it's definitely worth getting if you are planning on building one of these kits.

Now, anyone have any information on the correct exterior colors?

I found this buried in a Vette Mako forum:

"The closest color codes i can tell you for the Mako you are talking about is a 1995 GMC TRUCK color called "Sapphire Black Pearl". That is the "Metal flake" you saw. Spray multiple coats at the very top, and eventually you'll get to a black look. Only under direct sunlight will you actually see a blue hue to it. From there down, you can mix and match by adding white, or by thinning the color coat till you see blue. If you use LITE GREY PRIMER....."

Rest of quote was about primer and amounts of paint, rather than the grey. The pre-painted AMT Mako I's probably will help too.