Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R (Daytona winner)

Hello,

I took a little break from body mods, which are far from over.  My original idea was to build it as a curbside. Yeah right.... 

Then I though, Well, this will be a "Curbside Plus" with just a lump between the fenders.

So here is my idea of a lump between the fenders :)   I thought of machining my own pulleys and all that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH but I would have never finish it. So I took the kit's belts and sanded them down, plus a few more bits here and there.  Still a curbside plus.

15050346_1243072162434341_1868738717_n.t

IMGP9890.thumb.jpg.acc7735a75f090cb1e739

IMGP9889.thumb.jpg.31bde79823c8023b3ce6a

IMGP9892.thumb.jpg.fa309052ee5ea905361e9

IMGP9901.thumb.jpg.aac2b84ee1f4f0002f5b8

The headers are loose as they need to be installed after the engine is in place.  the heat wraps should go all the way down but that won't be seen anyways.
The mold lines in the air box are actually in the real thing.

Something I have noticed: In previous cars like C5R and C6R, the engine was a jewel! Glossy carbon fiber with exquisite decals and all. Today's car has more raw carbon parts which is dull and not many decorations. 

Hope you like it.

Thanks,

P.S. If you look at it for a while and close your eyes, you can hear it idling... :)

Edited by ismaelg

Hello!

Not much bench time but here is a little update.  There is a fluid tank in the C7R engine. Not really sure what it is for. Trying to find out.

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-test-day-2016

So I machined my own tank.  The lid was machined in place. It came out thinner than I wanted but no big deal.

IMGP9909.thumb.jpg.8daee9956b4732ed4f160

IMGP9910.thumb.jpg.22d07aa5dcc1ab4e8e95d

Added aluminum strap to eventually attach it to the bracing and added a fluid line that will disappear underneath.

Thanks,

Nice work Ismael. Liking all the changes and additions you're doing. My guess for that tank would be an overflow/fill for the oil system. With the big airbox over the engine they'd need somewhere to add oil that is easily accessible during a race. Or I could be completely wrong, I figure I got a 50/50 shot at it.

Looking forward to more updates.

David

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, due to my work I am in a last minute "emergency" business trip.  Had to fly to Houston over the weekend and will not be back in a few weeks... :(

Will try to find hobby shops in the area.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and Merry Christmas to all!

Finally I'm back home!  

These cars have a drink cooler can so the driver can keep hydrated.  Since different drivers like different things, they never run sports drinks. Just pure water (my favorite by the way).   This cooler "sits" where the passenger would be.  The kit's cooler can is... well..... ehhhh... sub-standard for my liking.  So, knowing it will not be seen anyways, I machined my own cooler.  Painted it and it is ready to reflresh!  

IMGP9924.thumb.jpg.3c5596d3a0ae9bfb65d16

IMGP9929.thumb.jpg.56b81b473861fc8959534

IMGP0006.thumb.jpg.a8c78fd084b321fa50774

I've never claimed to be normal :)

Repeat with me: It will not be seen.... it will not be seen.....

Thanks,

Hello,

The kit's safety net was replaced with a more accurate one including the round hook in the dash to attach to.  These cars also have a triangular net on the driver's door.  I added that one as well.  Anyways both are black and will barely be seen once completed. I tinkered with the idea of a tubing roll cage but that would be a waste of time and will take forever. 

IMGP9985.thumb.jpg.4e900b91cdf16d1aba98b

Thanks,

Hello,

One of the most prominent and important features of this car is the rear camera and radar system.  It is not just a rear camera, but a complete collision avoidance system developed by Pratt & Miller and Bosch  that alerts the driver of cars passing, blind spots, closing in, distance, time etc.  This system is a tablet size screen on top of the dash, and of course missing in the kit.  

I cut some bits of styrene and assembled it  from 5 bits of styrene and 4 strips of tape.

IMGP0012.thumb.jpg.58aa90ea2899c04b8ad97

IMGP0014.thumb.jpg.97f6d9ad7ddf32e103768

Of course it will barely be seen once painted black but I had to do it :)

IMGP0016.thumb.jpg.4a3bc8e70d79d4ea1bc8f 

Thanks,

Hello,

Need a hug? Feeling lonely?  Nothing will hug you like a tight 5 point harness!

IMGP0032.thumb.jpg.da49b4bed81eabed3c26c

Disclaimer:  I took an artistic license here.  Race cars are always changing. So you need to pick a point in time to replicate.  I'm building the car as it raced in Daytona in 2016.  However, the car raced with BLACK belts.  Now, if I would have made them black, they would be lost in the darkness of the black cockpit.  So I did them in red, which this car has used in other venues.  Even in red, they will be hard to see once finished.

Thanks,

Hello!

Last update of the year!

Another "I know it won't be seen but I did it anyways" details :)

Scratchbulit paddle shifters and the anodized star-like piece behind the steering wheel.  The spiral cable carries the signals from all the buttons and switches in the steering wheel and goes underneath the dash.  Yes it is very long. I'll cut to size once in place.

IMGP0033.thumb.jpg.2b8e74376b9f34267e9b3

IMGP0034.thumb.jpg.b9e93edb897648ec95e04

IMGP0038.thumb.jpg.c765a70e5746c7079c9a1

See you in 2017!

Thanks,