Model Cars Magazine Forum

custom mixed canned paints question

As far as I know, MCW still packages all of their spray paints in a can with a fan spray nozzle.

I haven't bought a spray can from them for many years but they used to package in cans exactly like the old Duplicolor touch up paints.

The tall skinny cans.

Now, Duplicolor no longer uses those cans, so I'm not positive what MCW is using.

Might be worth contacting them to find out.

By the way, MCW is now offering any color you want in a spray can, at additional cost of course. ;)

Steve

photo DSCN5585_zpsw8j8os9d.jpg

By the way, I agree with you 100%.

Absolutely hate the round spray tips!

You would think that everyone would use the fan spray tip.

It is so superior it's ridiculous!

Too expensive I guess.

Although a can of Duplicolor paint with a good nozzle doesn't cost any more than a can of Testors or Tamiya with a crappy one. ^_^

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Check the paint department at any of the big home improvement stores. They often have new spray nozzles in both spray styles. Buy the nozzles you like and just switch it out with what ever came on the spray can  you are using. Also a good way to  replace any old nozzles that are no longer working as they should.

Check the paint department at any of the big home improvement stores. They often have new spray nozzles in both spray styles. Buy the nozzles you like and just switch it out with what ever came on the spray can  you are using. Also a good way to  replace any old nozzles that are no longer working as they should.

Won't work with this style of fan spray nozzle.

Believe me, I've tried.

Steve

Won't work with this style of fan spray nozzle.

Believe me, I've tried.

Steve

True, they use totally different valve in the can.

We have the Testors type of a valve (stem in the nozzle plugs into the can), Tamiya spray valve (the can has a stem on which the nozzle gets installed), and the fan-spray valve (similar to Tamiya but there is also a metal rod which opens the valve). Neither of those 3 types is interchangeable. That is why using an airbrush is the ideal solution: decant any paint you want and have perfect control of the air pressure, paint volume and spray pattern. You can also make your own custom paint mixes. That dreaded airbrush cleanup after painting is really NOT-THAT-BAD!  Trust me. :D

Edited by peteski

I agree.

Takes me no more than 5 minutes to thoroughly clean my air brush after each use.

Steve

Probably around 2 minutes for me.  I only spray organic-solvent paints (no water-based stuff). I do a thorough cleaning and disassembly about once a year (whether it needs it or not). I should make a video of how I clean my airbrush after each use to show the rattle-can-spayers that it is not the dreaded chore they've been told.  And no clogged spray-can nozzles or wasted paint. :)

Probably around 2 minutes for me.  I only spray organic-solvent paints (no water-based stuff). I do a thorough cleaning and disassembly about once a year (whether it needs it or not). I should make a video of how I clean my airbrush after each use to show the rattle-can-spayers that it is not the dreaded chore they've been told.  And no clogged spray-can nozzles or wasted paint. :)

I disassemble mine after every session, but then again, I use a single action siphon feed Badger.

I remove the tip, take out the needle & trigger & then clean the needle, tip & clean out the body with a Q-tip & one of those dental brushes that you use between your teeth with airbrush cleaner.

Takes me longer to clean out the jar & siphon than it does to clean the brush.

Steve

Thanks for the awesome info, Guys! If I didn't live in an apartment, I would already have an air brush setup, until I can get a proper vented booth it's aerosols for me.....

An air brush produces much less in the area of toxic fumes.

No propellant which is where the majority of them come from.

Steve

Steve is correct - airbrush propellant can be plain air or even CO2.  Speaking of which, a small tank of CO2 would be ideal as an airbrush propellant in an apartment.  No compressor noise.  While I have not tried it myself, I've heard that the tanks can be purchased or rented (and refilled) from diving supply stores or from soft drink distributors.  You would also need a pressure regulator.  But it is whisper quiet.  With an airbrush there is usually much less over-spray too.