Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

bogger44

Very clean build. WHat do you mean by not liking how the wheels attach to the hubs? Dont they roll? I have the same kit, just haven't stated building it yet.

Thanks Ronny.  No, the wheels don't roll (which is actually fine with me), it's just the way the wheel attaches to the pin retainer on the brakes. The brakes get pinned into the axle/spindles then the wheels need to be glued on.  It was a bit of a sloppy fit (at least on mine it was).  If there was a pin molded directly to the backside of the wheel that would pass through the brake and into the axle (spindles on the front) I would have liked it much better.  It's just my personel preference I guess, it does work ok as is.  It is a great kit overall though, I think you'll enjoy building it.

Edited by bogger44

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ronny.  No, the wheels don't roll (which is actually fine with me), it's just the way the wheel attaches to the pin retainer on the brakes. The brakes get pinned into the axle/spindles then the wheels need to be glued on.  It was a bit of a sloppy fit (at least on mine it was).  If there was a pin molded directly to the backside of the wheel that would pass through the brake and into the axle (spindles on the front) I would have liked it much better.  It's just my personel preference I guess, it does work ok as is.  It is a great kit overall though, I think you'll enjoy building it.

Ah, i see. I've built a few Revell kits. So far all had rolling wheels but they don't quite roll or fit perfectly without a bit of cutting, chopping and rebuilding the mounting points. I'm one of those guys that have a nagging irritation when wheels don't roll. This Mustang for example needed metal pins with flat head drilled into the axle so the wheels hold. Ignore the Enkeis, that's just a mockup. Currently sports stock wheels.

IMG_3798.jpg

Superb! You should be very proud of your 'cuda!

This kit has a a lot of pros and very few cons. I've built two of these so far and they were fun to build. Problem areas were: 

Fitting the chassis pan to the body:  I trimmed the rear section of the chassis pan behind the rear wheel wells by about an 1/8 of an inch on both sides.

Rear valence fitment: There was interference between the rear spring hangers and the valence so I trimmed the hangers at the end of the springs (can't see this with the valence installed)

Check windshield wipers for hood clearance.

Install tail pipe tips before installing rear valence.

WF

Ah, i see. I've built a few Revell kits. So far all had rolling wheels but they don't quite roll or fit perfectly without a bit of cutting, chopping and rebuilding the mounting points. I'm one of those guys that have a nagging irritation when wheels don't roll. This Mustang for example needed metal pins with flat head drilled into the axle so the wheels hold. Ignore the Enkeis, that's just a mockup. Currently sports stock wheels.

IMG_3798.jpg

I like what you did on this Boss, Ronny.  I'll be interested in seeing what you do with the Cuda when you build it.

Superb! You should be very proud of your 'cuda!

This kit has a a lot of pros and very few cons. I've built two of these so far and they were fun to build. Problem areas were:

Fitting the chassis pan to the body:  I trimmed the rear section of the chassis pan behind the rear wheel wells by about an 1/8 of an inch on both sides.

Rear valence fitment: There was interference between the rear spring hangers and the valence so I trimmed the hangers at the end of the springs (can't see this with the valence installed)

Check windshield wipers for hood clearance.

Install tail pipe tips before installing rear valence.

WF

I agree, very good tips here, Walter.  While I didn't experience clearance issues with the windshield wipers, I did to some extent all the others.  A chunk of it was my doing, as I had glued the rear valence on prior to painting making chassis installation (and exhaust tips) even more of a battle.

Thanks again for all the comments guys.