Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Alternatives for Small Molds

I did one where the silicone was nearly 1/2" thick and the main body of the silicone was undamaged, but the surface attached to part I want to make a mold of shredded while trying to peel it off. There are still bits of silicone embedded in the details on the surface of the part.

How long was it allowed to cure?

I did one where the silicone was nearly 1/2" thick and the main body of the silicone was undamaged, but the surface attached to part I want to make a mold of shredded while trying to peel it off. There are still bits of silicone embedded in the details on the surface of the part.

im thinking  use pure white silicone . instead of rtv.

Ive tried rtv  in the past and had the same issue ...removing it was not going to happen with any chance of using it as a mold

BTW, I did pick up a little thing called the 3Doodler Start. It's one of the 3D pen devices. Simple to use, but the coolest thing I've done with it so far is use it to make molds of emblems on 1:24/1:25 kits. Shoot it on, press it down with a finger (the output isn't that hot, it uses biodegradable polyester instead of PLA) let it set for about a minute and pop it off the part. I should have some pics posted soon of the molds and the output.