Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future Polish Uncertainty

Okay fellow builders, I'm about to ask a question that has been asked time and time again but when searching for said question, I'm left with an absurd amount of info to filter through, thus leaving me frustrated. So if it's not allowed feel free to delete. 

That at being said, I have recently began airbrushing and using Future Floor Shine for my clear coats. What process in terms of polishing and getting a clearer finish? I'm ecstatic the level of shine I am achieving now, but I know it could be better. I recently tried wetsanding a model only to have to Future roll off like it wasn't finished curing. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Yup. That's why I stopped using Future as a final finish. You can do so much better with so many other products.

Confession: I will still occasionally hand-brush a coat of Future on an old model I'm just fixing up a little or "restoring" without a complete repaint/rebuild, if I just want a little shine on the thing but don't really need a Class A finish.

I just bought a quart of Duplicolor clear lacquer BSP-300. Everyone is raving about it and I'm going to give it a try. Amazon has it for $23.95. I've tried Future and had similar results as yours. Do a search for Duplicolor clear lacquer BSP-300 here on the forum for more info.

I just bought a quart of Duplicolor clear lacquer BSP-300. Everyone is raving about it and I'm going to give it a try. Amazon has it for $23.95. I've tried Future and had similar results as yours. Do a search for Duplicolor clear lacquer BSP-300 here on the forum for more info.

Awesome. Will definitely look into it. Appreciate the insight and direction. 

Just remember that the Duplicolor product is a LACQUER, suspended in LACQUER THINNER, and as such, it WILL attack and craze less solvent-resistant finishes (like enamel) and substrates.

To the best of my knowledge, the floor-wax "acrylic" clear products can be used over just about anything with impunity.

Not so with lacquer clears...especially those designed with 1:1 vehicle finishes (like Duplicolor) in mind...so TEST before you commit to using it over a particular finish on a model.

I know this may seem to be obvious, but we see a lot of people having problems here simply because they just started spraying something without testing it first.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have gotten very nice gloss by carefully wiping Future on then when dry applying ZYMOL brand wax. It deepens the gloss. Allot of other brands have cleaner that actually removes Future. The Porsche 911 below was done this way.

Dscf8213.jpg