Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to find 1:18 Detail Upgrade and Accessory kits

I've been collecting 1/18th scale die cast model cars for a very long time, but have just started trying to make them a bit more detailed.  I'm "improving" A Corgi MGB model into my old E Production MGB race car.

I've been drooling over all the 24th 25th scale detail parts available.  It's almost enough to make me want to give up 1/18th scale.

Today I found the Tremonia Transkit Detail Upgrade sets on Ebay.  This kit has a number of parts (seatbelt hardware, grills, etc.) I can use on my MGB.  Neat stuff.

Apart from Tremonia, does anybody know where else detail upgrade parts and accessories for 1/18 scale may be found?  Metal, photo etch, resin, plastic, decals on and on....

This might be a good thread to list them on for folks who use the search function.

Thanks

Ted 

Edited by tedd60

Search Legende-Miniatures.  He has a wide variety of parts, but not necessarily specific to an MGB.

Legende-Miniatures C'est Magnifique!  Of course, I'm gonna have to brush up on my parle vous frenchy :rolleyes:

http://www.legende-miniatures.com/topic/index.html

And this thread does not have to be about MGB's ... I'm hoping to get a list of 1/18 parts suppliers for everybody!  This one is a great start. 

Thanks

T

Edited by tedd60

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have been looking for someone who supplies 1/18 parts. Shapeways has some nice drilled rotors and calipers, carburetors, drag type radial tires, race seats, rear axles just a few things I found on a search of there site. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, I also see that Shapeways will cast parts that I might want to make.  This could be interesting because I have a number of projects planned around some common components.  If the prices are reasonable, I could make it once and get those guys to cast the copies I need.

If you come up with more folks who deal with 1/18th scale parts and such, please keep posting the source here so we can help other modelers who build/modify in this scale.

Maybe one day this thread might get turned into a sticky.

Thanks again.

T

Your welcome Ted. I forgot to mention Ebay too once in awhile custom made parts will pop up. Working on a model of my 1:1 68 Mustang fastback and needed a teardrop hood, happened upon one there but the cost and quality wasn't very good so I scratch built one. I cant believe no one has done photo etch for this scale- grilles, emblems, and trim would really make these model stand out. I'm researching the process with Shapeways and think it would be a great resource to get what you need plus make it available to other modelers. Anyone know of a photo etch supplier who would want to do detail kits??  Great idea to get a list together if I run across anything else I will be sure to post !

• 2 weeks later...

Though wishing not to over promise with regards to stocks and availability of such, I've done my own casting in 1:18th scale consistent with supporting an ongoing personal interest in the '66-'72 SCCA Trans Am Series.  To date I've done carburetors, wheels, ignition pieces, remote oil filter mounts, oil breathers and coolers, seats, electrical switchboards, etc.  It helps if our interests overlap for I haven't any strict interest in doing contract work, but all the same is someone is looking in and wonders if I have spares for creating molds of this or that, feel free to gently inquire via PM.  I've attached a pair of images depicting the kind of stuff I've done for myself as a kind of ready reference.  Thanks...

Mike K./'Swede70'

Resin_board_photo_001.thumb.JPG.b0d16425Resin_board_demo_001.thumb.JPG.e15c9a6a7

M.K.

Edited by swede70

Yes - it's o.k. to inquire about the measurements, price and availability.  The first foam board reflects my first effort to assemble that which I had created molds for about three years ago, whereas the second smaller board better reflects what I do now.  I maintain a list relating what I've done in the past in 1:18th and specifically what this or that product offers to the enthusiast in terms of utility, albeit the same isn't matched to my current inventory of molds nor are the individual items priced per se.  Perhaps a quarter of the products roughly seen on the second board are stockpiled as copies ready to go. 

Please appreciate that the urethane molds I create wear with use and become more or less useless after about twenty five pulls, hence what might at first appear ready to make may in fact be obsolete short of my creating a new mold to pump the same out again.  Given that the creation of new molds requires the purchase of replacement two-part urethane (about $30), there will be times I'd be reluctant to create a new mold if I didn't strictly require a resupply of said part or assembly.  Resin to fill the molds is also sold in about $30 increments, hence I'll alternate between pouring often and readily, and then the next week or so not pour at all.  If 1:18th scale modifying constituted a bigger field with orders coming in all the time, I would have justification to increase the pace of my efforts and assume costs for part replication I don't strictly need myself, but at present I'll restrict what I do to copies drawn from existing molds and what desirable stuff might be done for cross pollinating interests with others present here..  

Given my fairly narrow focus in relation to 1:18th, I try to identify and effectively copy the best of what I've seen on models of particular interest.  Locally, myself and another 1:18th modifier have been privy to more than a few blown to bits models yielding up some excellent subassemblies.  As an example, the best large 1:18th scale oil breather I've seen is on the Lane '68 Shelby GT500, whereas the nicest smaller round oil breather seen by this poster would be situated on the 1:18th ERTL Authentic's '71 Charger with the custom valve covers.  As for Holley center float four barrel carburetors, the 1:18 GMP Trans Am Camaro seems to offer up the best example going, although I found another version which works very well indeed for inline application such as those seen on '67 to '68 Shelby Racing Co. Trans Am Mustangs.  Continuing on, the Hwy. 61 '63 Pontiac Tempest seems to offer up the best coil I've seen, whereas I've found and copied two others.  Once a very fine rendering of something is made available, justifying the use of something decidedly second rate becomes harder. 

And so it goes...  Currently I maintain two large cork boards with the best and brightest examples of isolated assemblies positioned side-by-side so that I might compare each for applicability relative to my projects.  Cheaper models typically offer up less in the way of well rendered parts, whereas more expensive models almost always offer up more in the way of promise.  It might be best to articulate in brief what project you have in mind to best allow me to guide the inquirer to what might be on offer.  In the coming days I'll buff up my old inventory list and send it to those who'd wish to inquire - thanks. 

Mike K.