Model Cars Magazine Forum

Howdy from Prescott AZ

Howdy, from Prescott, home of the Worlds' Oldest Rodeo, Arizona's Christmas City, recently published as one of the best retirement towns.  I'm a native Zonie too, so gotta brag about something.
I'm 110% in the model building mode at the moment, wanted to attend GSL again, and needed to justify the time and expense.  I'm thrilled that my Porsche Speedster Turbo is still showing on the If I Had Designed It class.
I prefer import cars, but have done American vehicles too.  I love to do dioramas, but need to figure out where to display them so the cats don't destroy them.  Have built since childhood, am also into WW2 German subjects, used to do model rockets.  I'm also a woodworker.  Make a living as an architectural designer/draftsman.
I have more ideas, and models, than time.
I just finished this, my Honda Civic Sintegra (nicknamed Short Bus).  Started in 2002, a rare vintage (never thought I would be saying that) Tamiya kit of the third generation Honda Civic hatchback, bought in 1987 when I had a real '87 Si.  I kit bashed Revell's Acura Integra tuner: engine and front end, muffler and cat, disk brakes, sunroof, seats, and of course the wheels/tires.  I also scratch-built the header, turbo, intercooler.  And the rear wing that flips up for an air brake.  And the operable sunroof, rear quarter windows, flip hood with latch, steering wheel and front wheels (the kit was to be glued in place), and license plate is hinged for increasing air flow at high speed (no officer, didn't know that).  Oh yea, scratch-built the nitrous bottle setup, flamethrower exhaust, and thought a fire extinguisher would be a good idea.  I dislike trying to get the prefect paint job, no matter how hard, some lint *always* lands in an obvious spot, this is Testors Tangerine orange with a nail "polish" pearl mist coat, and 3 coats of clear, wanted something like Lamborghini's color.
I have had several Work In Progress sitting in the box for freaking decades, so am now motivated to finish before starting on something new.  It's like having writer's block, I go for years without doing anything, and then I'm obsessed/possessed and working past midnight and blowing off work and bike riding and pool playing and my lovely undocumented wife is like WTH?  Anyone else like this?  Is there a cure for it?  Should I be concerned?
Best regards.....

IMG_3122_Fotor.jpg

IMG_3121_Fotor.jpg

Welcome!

I can vouch for Kurt personally (insomuch as he would be a fine fellow if he wasn't totally nuts), particularly on his dioramas. Hope to re-see them in some "under glass" posts, one of my favorites to this day is still the "neglected dusty Ferrari in the backyard weeds" one. But I also liked the stand-alones, particularly his cabover Chevy pickup custom, and Kurt's propensity to pepper many of his models' windshields with grasshopper bug splats.

Welcome!

I can vouch for Kurt personally (insomuch as he would be a fine fellow if he wasn't totally nuts), particularly on his dioramas. Hope to re-see them in some "under glass" posts, one of my favorites to this day is still the "neglected dusty Ferrari in the backyard weeds" one. But I also liked the stand-alones, particularly his cabover Chevy pickup custom, and Kurt's propensity to pepper many of his models' windshields with grasshopper bug splats.

Hi Russell!

You are always linking to this site when we email, so it's all your fault.  LOL

The "Out To Pasture" diorama was a paradigm shift for me.  The first group of model guys I joined in town, one was a master IPMS military builder, and he talked me into going to my first real model contest, down in Phoenix.  I didn't win anything, but did get a Corvette ZR1 which got kit bashed with a '39 Chevy panel.  On the way home, he discussed putting that crappy 250 SWB into a diorama, which got an award at a Tucson IPMS show.

The '50 Chevy COE was fun.

Still considering another weathering idea, to make another recent build look like it was driven in the rain, which means brush painting the grime pushed by air into streaks, plus a little airbrushing.

Chevrolet COE_Fotor.jpg

Still considering another weathering idea, to make another recent build look like it was driven in the rain, which means brush painting the grime pushed by air into streaks, plus a little airbrushing.

If anyone can pull it off, it's the Kurtman!

Sounds like a neat idea.