Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dust Masks for Sanding?

Has anybody used dust masks while sanding and doing other bodywork on their models?  After getting brochitis a couple weeks back, with the thought I may have had it the last 2 springs and then reading about cronic bronchitis while on meds and not being able to sleep, I got to thinking that using a mask of some sort to protect my lungs from plastic and filler dust from now in might not be a bad idea.  Anybody do this and/or can suggest what to use?

The only time I use a mask is when working with Resin bodies or parts. This can be some very bad stuff. For this reason I will actually step outside to do that sanding to also keep it away from any other parts and my work area. If you are already having respiratory issues I would just use a mask when ever you are sanding or any thing else that would  expose you to any thing that may effect your breathing. You may want to even consider using a mask when brush painting, as well as any spraying, or even glues.  

A good friend and someone I worked with for a very long time has been very sick for over 10 years from breathing in asbestos dust from brake and clutching lining as well as the cast iron dust from cutting drums and rotors.  Over the last 3 months, I've been experiencing breathing difficulties that the Docs are trying to get to the bottom of.  Although there is nothing definitive yet, when I'm doing the tests and talking with the Docs, I can't help but think about my friend Jim and all the brakes and clutch jobs we did back in the day.  

Although the plastic and paint you are breathing in may not be, strictly speaking, "cancerous", once particles from anything get in your lungs ... there is no way for your body to get rid of them. 

Without getting into a discussion particle size and which one is more dangerous ... I'm willing to bet Jim wishes he wore a mask while doing brake jobs ... and anything else involving dust particles.  I know I sure do.

BTW ... NEITHER Jim nor myself smoked tobacco products.

I Had thought that some of it from the past couple years was solder fumes, but considering I've picked up an iron once in the last 10 months, that's what made me think there is a chance of cronic bronchitis might be a possibility.  I will say this too, after reading what I did on the subject, now I know why smokers kinda want to punch people who constantly tell them to quick smoking.  Seemed like every paragraph I read started with "quit smoking", I rarely smoke tires and r/c electronic gear let alone anything else and it was starting to piss me off, of course, I was tired, sick, it was 1:30-2:00am and I couldn't sleep because of the med's side effects, so that likely didn't help.

Oh, I did talk to one of the women taking care of Mom at the hospital to see if she had any suggestions, she did tell me her Dad uses ones for construction that are "Tee-Pee" shaped to keep crud out of his lungs.

By all means, use a mask whenever you dry-sand anything. And use a decent one, preferably a respirator. Most of the paper things sold as "non-toxic-particle-masks" are worthless, even the ones that have things to mold to the bridge of your nose. They're better than nothing, but they don't come close to stopping ALL of the dust.

If you don't believe me, next time you do a dusty project, wear one of those paper disposable things. At the end of an hour or so, look next to your nostrils. You'll see dust the color of whatever you were working with that easily got past the edges of the mask, but didn't quite make it past the turbulence in airflow created by the edge of your nose. A lot of it DID go into your lungs.

Also, if you have a beard, even a good respirator is pretty much worthless. In that case, you need a full-face mask that will seal to your neck, or even an air-supplied hood.

Sanding outside with a fan blowing the carp away from you is a very viable alternative, and usually a lot more pleasant if you can arrange it.

I Was hoping you would chime in Bill, Thank You!    I had wondered about the respirator for the sanding too, although sitting on the back step of the house sounds like a good idea too. With my work hours for now, going and visiting Mom at the nursing home she will be going back into tomorrow (luckily for only 2-3 weeks) can only be done on the weekends, I'll need to do things to kill time between getting done eating dinner and going to bed.