Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Pontiac Firebird

om617

Hello. Here is my take on the MPC 69 Firebird,probably on the top 10 of worst kit`s ever made lol.

Got an hardtop,took the roof of,then realized there is a convertible out there,typical. The color is

Gravity Verdoro Green,the chassis and drivetrain is Revell,the boot is 69 MPC Camaro,the wheels

are parts box,the tires the Tire Pack from AMT. I was unsure if going for redlines or Polyglas GT.

I sanded away the stock headlights and added lenses from Scale Production,also i tried scratch

build a panel in front of the radiator to cover up the grill/headlight mounting "finess" from MPC.

Anyway,thanks for looking and here are some pictures.

Tommy

You did about as well as can be done with that old crock. I'll look even better if you detail those Rally II wheels with some black, dark metallic gray, and flat aluminum paint. Yeah, I know, it's a pain (I've done many of them), but it really does add a lot to the look of a build.

Did MPC make any really good kits? Just curious.

Back in the day, some of their stuff was regarded right up there with AMT. In fact, their Pontiacs in particular--Firebirds and GTOs--were very desirable kits. The problem with this one is the same as their problem with the '69 Camaro--instead of doing it right and tooling up all-new body sides with the character line raised a couple inches, as on the real cars, they tried to "convert" the '67-'68 body with its mid-body character line to the '69 type. Interestingly, their Camaro is noticeably too narrow, while their Firebird is darn close to the correct width.

You could make an accurate '69 Firebird by starting with the Revell '69 Camaro body and grafting on the MPC Firebird front end, rear panel, cowl, and a few other changes. FAR too much work for me (I like the '67-'68 Firebird body better), and about five minutes after I got it finished, Revell would announce an all-new kit.

Back in the day, some of their stuff was regarded right up there with AMT. In fact, their Pontiacs in particular--Firebirds and GTOs--were very desirable kits. The problem with this one is the same as their problem with the '69 Camaro--instead of doing it right and tooling up all-new body sides with the character line raised a couple inches, as on the real cars, they tried to "convert" the '67-'68 body with its mid-body character line to the '69 type. Interestingly, their Camaro is noticeably too narrow, while their Firebird is darn close to the correct width.

You could make an accurate '69 Firebird by starting with the Revell '69 Camaro body and grafting on the MPC Firebird front end, rear panel, cowl, and a few other changes. FAR too much work for me (I like the '67-'68 Firebird body better), and about five minutes after I got it finished, Revell would announce an all-new kit.

Thanks Richard. I just hear so many horror stories about MPC kits.

Edited by Geno