Model Cars Magazine Forum

anyone wanna show off they're workspace/area? Just curious

Guest Davkin
WOW!!! TALK ABOUT ORGANIZED!!! I'm impressed! I wish I had enough stuff to fill a room that big!!!

see you have a heated massge seat. Spend much time in that there chair???[/

Thanks. A lot of the stuff is from my R/C hobby, which I've pretty much quit now, it's just too expensive. I actually store no unbuilt kits in this room, they are all in boxes in the garage, I use a database to keep track of them, though I've been selling off most of my unbuilts anyway.

Actually what you see is a cheap automotive seat pad I was using to try and prolong the life of that chair, it didn't work, since then I've bought a new chair.

LOVE your display cases. Do I see MOPAR??

HaHa!! What kind of paints are those, and are those "spice racks" or are they for paints?

Sorry, no Mopars in there. Not that I've never built any, I just don't have any in the display case right now. I guess you could consider the Bantam wrecking yard mule to be a Mopar since Willys owned Bantam which was bought by AMC which was bought by Chrysler. :D

I actually made the racks custom from sheet styrene. I just went to a local plastics distributor and and then cut up a sheet of 1/8" styrene into strips and plates for me. The paints in those racks are mostly just for detail painting and diorama modeling, (which I haven't done much of yet.) I have Tamiya Acrylics, Testors enamels, Polly S, Floquil and even craft acrylics up there. The spray can laquers are kept in the cabinet below the spray booth. The bottled laquers are kept in the drawer above the cabinet that's in the middle of the room.

David

I've thought about building a rack from some extra cedar I got layin around. Just need to get off mah butt and go do it I guess. YES the R/C hobby is very expensive!!!! I had a few when I was like 17 or 18. Never really thought about how expensive it was un til ALL of my R/C stuff got stolen... Had it all in a big box in the back room buried and one day I thought "Maybe I'll get everything out and clean it up and take it out for a spin" and it was GONE!!!! Along with all of my expensive fishin poles and reels.. HATE THIEVES! So much fun though.. miss playin with my R/C cars and trucks. :D Now I just play with BIG trucks! A little harder to steal. And for thinkin I saw MOPAR- I thought the one on the left case top shelf far right was an old GTX. And yes, Willys has been owned by many different companies, and I am very happy where they are now though!!! Now that I really looked, I can tell I have no idea what it is. :D I really love your set-up! Im very impressed with how organized and serious that room looks! I believe you have enough kits that keeping a "database" on your kits is not a bad idea. I just never thought I'd see someone who needed a database for model cars.. :P I take it you sell them too?? For my project after the daytona I was thinking maybe and old school Chevy Muscle truck with a John Deere paint scheme. Love John Deere. Thanks for the great pics..

ABE DOOLEY

Edited by abedooley

Guest Davkin
YES the R/C hobby is very expensive!!!!

Yes, it wasn't just the cost though. The problem is that it took a lot of time and I came to the conclusion that I needed to focus on just one or two hobbies in order to accomplish anything with my limited resources so I chose model car/diorama building and having one 1:1 project car.

What you thought was a GTX is a '60 Pontiac Catalina.

As for the database, well I had over 800 unbuilt at one time. Now I'm down to less than 200, but since I store them in boxes I need the database so I don't have to look through all the boxes to find the particular kit I'm looking for, the database tells me exactly which box the each kit is in, I have the boxes numbered. I'm still reducing my collection, decided at the rate I build 50 is more than enough.

David

I love when these threads come up...

Heres my work area. It is a 1940's jewelers table giving to me before my grandfather passed away. I think he spirit lives on in this bench as my modeling skills stepped up when I got it...

He was a jeweler for most of his life...

DSC_0604-1.jpg

DSC_0605.jpg

I love when these threads come up...

Heres my work area. It is a 1940's jewelers table giving to me before my grandfather passed away. I think he spirit lives on in this bench as my modeling skills stepped up when I got it...

He was a jeweler for most of his life...

DSC_0604-1.jpg

DSC_0605.jpg

WOW!!! I have never seen a desk with sooo much character!!!! I love old used things! One thing I have noticed is the "third hand" everyone has. I bought mine years ago at a tool sale for like $8. I think it was one of the Cummins Tools sales. They go around in a big Tractor trailor and have their sales at fairgrounds and whatnot. Lots of cool cheap tools can be bought at one of those tool sales!

Davkin- I'd imagine that having that many hobbies going on at once could sometimes be overwhelming. 200 Is still ALOT of models to have!! Maybe its just me though. I've noticed that almost everyone has more models than I would know what to do with. Ijust need to start buying some cool aftermarket parts since I just found out that theres that much out there. The only thing I have bought was some Detail masters PE street rod gauges that wont work in anything I have right now and I dont think I'm comftorable with my skills (YET) to fully fabricate anything. I also got some PE stereo faces and figured that would be simple enough. I really want some new wheels and tires, but cant afford it. I've been looking at some of the Pegasus tire combos. I really like the Torque thrust kit. They have a set of 19 and 23" combo I'd like to have for my Challenger, but I dont know if the woman would be okay with me shellin out the $$$ for the tires and the brake rotors and whatever it would take to put them on. What DOES it take to put aftermarket wheels and tires on????

P1010118.JPG

I'll take any of those kits off your hands, especaially one of those GT-1's considering you have about 16 of them! :( I always wanted to build one of those. :(

David King....giving up his RC stuff? I know it's expensive but I thought you made your own stuff? I guess that takes some good money too. That sucks, you have some hot ###### when it comes to RC's...you should show these guys. Cal might like some. :lol::D

Edited by Nick F40

Guest Davkin
giving up his RC stuff?

Not all of it, just most of it. I am keeping two on-road cars that I use to play with a buddy, couldn't get much for them if I sold them anyway and I do enjoy just the casual parking lot get togethers we have a few times during the summer. I've about got rid of everything already except for my last "Trail Rig". I have some of my old R/C photos in a couple Fotki albums;

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/radio-controlled-ca/

I did make a lot of the stuff, but you still need to buy all the electronics, donor kits, axles, tires, transmissions and so on and so on.

David

Not all of it, just most of it. I am keeping two on-road cars that I use to play with a buddy, couldn't get much for them if I sold them anyway and I do enjoy just the casual parking lot get togethers we have a few times during the summer. I've about got rid of everything already except for my last "Trail Rig". I have some of my old R/C photos in a couple Fotki albums;

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/radio-controlled-ca/

I did make a lot of the stuff, but you still need to buy all the electronics, donor kits, axles, tires, transmissions and so on and so on.

David

ahh yeah.

I wouldn't mind getting an on road car, I would love to have that Audi. :(

Please PLEASE tell me your not getting rid of that Landcruiser.........I got dibs. :(

Seeing this thread got me up off my butt to clean my lights off, something I've been meaning to do. What a difference it is. Nice and bright again.

Anyway, I took 4 shots of it today. This is what it looks like today:

room7-vi.jpg

room8-vi.jpg

room9-vi.jpg

room10-vi.jpg

I'm hoping to get some days off to clean out my room of zoom which needs to be finished off as far as sheet-rock and wiring go. I can move my display cases in there. It'll give me a lot more room in the shop too as I can conjoin them with a small side door. Time and money is what I need.

You can view more of my Hobby Room at Fotki if so inclined.

Chris

Guest Davkin
Please PLEASE tell me your not getting rid of that Landcruiser.........I got dibs.

Sorry, the Landy is long gone, sold it over a year ago. All I have left is the '69 Camaro, the Modified oval racer and the green Bronco. I'm currently working on getting rid of the Bronco, but I'll be keeping the two on road cars.

David

Seeing this thread got me up off my butt to clean my lights off, something I've been meaning to do. What a difference it is. Nice and bright again.

Anyway, I took 4 shots of it today. This is what it looks like today:

room7-vi.jpg

room8-vi.jpg

room9-vi.jpg

room10-vi.jpg

I'm hoping to get some days off to clean out my room of zoom which needs to be finished off as far as sheet-rock and wiring go. I can move my display cases in there. It'll give me a lot more room in the shop too as I can conjoin them with a small side door. Time and money is what I need.

You can view more of my Hobby Room at Fotki if so inclined.

Chris

I am SO jealous of all you guys with all those kits layin around!! My local Wal-Mart(s) dont even carry model kits or anything to with them anymore. I went to my local Big Lots and they said they HARDLY ever get them or not at all now too... So all i got left is hobby lobby which has some on clearance every now and again, but its always the low-rider kits which I have no interest in at all... I always see people trading for kits, but I dont have much to trade as far as kit related goes.. All I have that MAYBE someone would have any interest in is my two 55 ton shackles, four 35 ton shackles, and 5 rolls of GM and Ford vinyl. Got plenty of the vinyl, just need someone willing to trade. I just got laid-off in march and I'm going back to school in the fall to be an electrician so I'm just gonna collect my unemployment so I dont have to worry about working while I'm busy at school. I've been so obsessed with building recently I've even thought about going back to work and skippin school just so I can afford to build like I want! If I go back to school I'll be able to afford more than if I went to work now so I just need to be patient.

Sorry, the Landy is long gone, sold it over a year ago. All I have left is the '69 Camaro, the Modified oval racer and the green Bronco. I'm currently working on getting rid of the Bronco, but I'll be keeping the two on road cars.

David

I think i'm gonna go cry now..:).................................p8712443.gif

cool though

Hey, it's not my fault I came out so hairy!!! :D:o

rofl.gifrofl.gif

I'll take any of those kits off your hands, especaially one of those GT-1's considering you have about 16 of them! :) I always wanted to build one of those. :D

David King....giving up his RC stuff? I know it's expensive but I thought you made your own stuff? I guess that takes some good money too. That sucks, you have some hot ###### when it comes to RC's...you should show these guys. Cal might like some. :lol::lol:

:o but then I would only have 15. I think I only have 15 of them anyway. Nope! I do have 16 I just counted them all.

Edited by CAL

• 5 years later...

heres my space(s) can you tell I just did a paint inventory and somewhat organized my hobby supplies?!?

101_6308_zpsca871eec.jpg

101_6316_zpsed2091b5.jpg

101_6317_zps0fd6c834.jpg

currently these guys get stored in the closet with the rest of the stash, usually space permitting I always try to keep small parts and "spares" on the bench doesn't always work that way......

101_6309_zpscd6c6a14.jpg apartment stash here at home

101_6302_zps4af5b3ba.jpg starage unit stash (sometimes I swap out kits) or go to the unit for trades with other mcm members :)