Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fogged paint ?

Doing a 60's style custom and want to try and paint panels with fogged edges. Never tried this before Any tips on the best way to accomplish this ?

Base coat will be Createx pearl white, panels will be with Autoair transparent blue with some pearl white added. Air brush for fogging is a Paasche VL with fine tip.

Thanks

IMG_4577-M.thumb.jpg.1009542395202b2c9c5 

The masking media should not come in contact with the surface being painted. You need to make a shield.

Cut out a template from stiff paper, then use (perhaps) two layers of double-sided tape that is slightly smaller than the template. Position the template, press into place, and spray.

I STRONGLY recommend you practice this on scrap stuff first.

This approach also works for gradient tint at the top of a windshield...place the shield near the top and spray a light coat; move the shield down and spray another coat (which will darken the first coat). Repeat as necessary.

The way I understand it. the OP wants to fog paint over thin pinstripes ( like shown in the picture ) for that he needs to lay a very thin pinstripe tape down and paint along said tape with a very small tipped air brush

And btw, I did NOT use an airbrush or tape.  Fireball 500 was done last year 2b.thumb.jpg.736072efb43ea7063f247c82971

I neglected to mention...

The part being painted should be vertical, and the airbrush horizontal. Keep the airbrush pointed straight ahead. Otherwise, you can end up with irregular results.

That's an excellent suggestion. B)

a fogged edge can be done by lifting the edge of the tape and spraying over the back side of the raised tape.  Changing how much the tape is lifted and the spray direction will change the width of the fogged area.  better control with an airbrush but it's not impossible with a rattle can

In the end, I agree, best advice - experiment to find the technique you like for the results you want and practice for consistency...

The way I understand it. the OP wants to fog paint over thin pinstripes ( like shown in the picture ) for that he needs to lay a very thin pinstripe tape down and paint along said tape with a very small tipped air brush

Not actually , I don't want the pin stripes ,more like the fogged area in this pic. but without the lace

rama3_qFT4_0.thumb.jpg.953f8d65d589726d6

Then my original suggestion stands. Do the base coat, then the fogging (as described above) before you paint/decal the pinstripes. 

BTW, Snake45's use of the term "floating" is exactly what I was trying to explain, but he said it better than I.

Edited by BigTallDad