Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with paint color.

I'm building a 67 Shelby GT 350 mustang and am having a little trouble with finding the color I want.

The color I'd like is the Dupont 4780 Night Mist Blue.

Anybody have an idea as to what that color would translate to in a model paint? I've looked for conversion charts, but nothing so far. 

Robert, the only place I can think of that might have the color you want is MCW. They carry most colors for American makes of the '50's-'60's, and they more than likely would have that color. You'd need an airbrush though------I think they do make aerosols if you don't have an airbrush.

You can check with them by clicking here.............hope this helps!

But it's enamel. Got a suggestion for lacquers.

You didn't specify lacquer. You just said "model paint." :angry:

If you're airbrushing, thin the bottled MM Arctic Blue with lacquer thinner and it will behave just like lacquer (i.e., dry completely, ready for polish, in 24-48 hours).

Beyond this I cannot help you.

You didn't specify lacquer. You just said "model paint." :angry:

If you're airbrushing, thin the bottled MM Arctic Blue with lacquer thinner and it will behave just like lacquer (i.e., dry completely, ready for polish, in 24-48 hours).

Beyond this I cannot help you.

Actually, the OP mentioned model paint. I was just asking a clarifying question. Sorry for the confusion.

I believe you want Acapulco Blue which is what this color is, and it is a lacquer and it came from Testors if I'm not mistaken.

Blue%20Hell%202_zps28scpjaz.jpg

That's a correct '67 Ford color, but he asked about Night Mist Blue, another '67 Ford color, which is much darker.

FWIW, when I build my '67 Shelby kit, I want to do it in the same color, and I'm going to use the Arctic Blue.

I believe you want Acapulco Blue which is what this color is, and it is a lacquer and it came from Testors if I'm not mistaken.

Blue%20Hell%202_zps28scpjaz.jpg

Hey, I like that color.  I may change my mind about what color I thought I wanted. 

Hey, I like that color.  I may change my mind about what color I thought I wanted. 

I didn't think '67 Shelbys were available in that color, but a quick google-image search proved me wrong. I like the darker color better, but they don't look half bad in the medium blue, either.