Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Camaro New Project

Alan

Well here is another project just started, as inspired by Roger and his south side street racer builds, THANKS Roger lol. This is an AMT 67 Camaro using the 68 Camaro interior, grill and tail lights. This will represent a late 70's early 80's street/strip car with the exception of the tires. Instead of using the superior Revell chassis etc. I opted to use the AMT chassis and added scratched sub frame connectors that are cut into the floor, and rear frame brace, scratched a drive shaft loop, which I see I lost a bolt head, will have to add another one. A scratched fuel tank sump which I cast from resin along with all the other resin parts here. Decided to also use the kit engine but with my scratched Moroso valve covers, and other pieces. The 4 speed is going to be cut off and replaced with the 2 speed Powerglide and another of my home made deep transmission pans. Will be constructing some Lakewood slapper bars which I already have made decals for on a couple of the decal sheets I offer. I will also scratch a vintage B&M shifter as well. Will also install a Lakewood 3 point roll bar. The rear drag radials are from Chief Joseph who's parts are second to none btw. The kit diff. will be used with cover cut off and replaced with a finned aluminum cover that is a Perry's Resin piece. I find the parts in the kit can be made to look quite presentable if detailed up. I will moderately detail this with wiring, plumbing a little photo etched etc. Color I think will be a light to medium blue.

Hope you like it and it inspires you like Roger's did for me......

Alan

68CamaroSM1R.jpg

68CamaroSM2R.jpg

68CamaroSM3R.jpg

68CamaroSM4R.jpg

68CamaroSM5R.jpg

68CamaroSM6R.jpg

Edited by Alan

I cut and glued the flat bars mounted to the floor, I then bent a piece of the same stock around a dowel and placed it into the driveshaft tunnel and glued it to the flat bars, trimmed it flush, then I cut 2 more flat bars shorter and glued them in place then added the other part of the loop and topped it off with washers and nuts ........... It took a bit but the end result was worth the effort.

Alan 

You are off to a great start!  I checked out Chief Joseph and his stuff is awesome. I will be ordering from him immediately lol.

LOL, tell him it was because of ME. I have TONS of his killer stuff ........

Wow Alan your Camaro looks great. Glad I inspired you. I'll be following along. I did a Grumpys Toy years ago and kinda fell in love with this kit. I think AMT really got the body the closest to correct. My next Camaro will probably be the Modified Production, Check Mate car.  I'd be really interested in a little more details on your subframe connectors. 

IMG_1388.JPG

Wow Alan your Camaro looks great. Glad I inspired you. I'll be following along. I did a Grumpys Toy years ago and kinda fell in love with this kit. I think AMT really got the body the closest to correct. My next Camaro will probably be the Modified Production, Check Mate car.  I'd be really interested in a little more details on your subframe connectors. 

IMG_1388.JPG

Thanks for the kind words Roger........ I love the old MP cars as well. Roger those sub frame connectors are sooooo easy . First off, having a good stash of various evergreen strip, half round, full round and hex rod are a must to scratch anything decent. For those connectors, I used .060 x .125 evergreen flat stock. Take a razor saw and cut into the floor pan just like they do on the real deal. Then once you have cut your frame connectors to the desired length, lay them in the channel you cut, that simple. The drive shaft loop was another story consisting of six separate parts and 6 bolt/washer pieces .

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! in BC on the south coast, our weather is like California, that is why our real estate market is insane and EVERYONE wants to be here . The past couple of days have been 100 degs. Look at all the American celebs that come here filming, they all end up buying here lol

Alan

Look up Mission Race Way Park, we have I think the fastest and quickest track in North America, they come from all around just to set records as the track is at sea level right along side of the Fraser River.  I can hear the racing from my house all summer long, I LOVE it

Look up Mission Race Way Park, we have I think the fastest and quickest track in North America, they come from all around just to set records as the track is at sea level right along side of the Fraser River.  I can hear the racing from my house all summer long, I LOVE it

I'd love that!

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, GoatGuy said:

Any updates ???

Not on the 68, actually yes, I have decided to switch it back to a 67  lol....... but I did post updates on the 69 a couple of days ago .......

Edited by Alan