Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wire ferrules for distributors

Ferrules are usually made of metal, and I've never seen metal bands on a distributor.

Is the word "boot" more correct? If so, the size depends on the gauge of the plug wire as well as the scale (1/25, etc.) of the engine.

I've never seen pre-made boots, either at the plug end or the distributor end of the spark plug wire. From where might you be ordering them?

Image result for insulated wire ferrulesBig Tall Dad, here's what I'm talking about. I was wanting to use one of these as 1/25 scale distributor and insert the plug wires into the plastic end. I have plans of ordering them from Amazon. They are called insulated wire ferrules.

Edited by Action Jackson
forgot something

Let me see if I understand this discussion.  The ferrules as shown in the picture are to be used as a distributor body (the yellow part) and the aluminum part will be the shaft.  To use them nine pieces of wire would be glued into the yellow piece and routed to the plugs and coil.  Is this the idea?  If so that would definitely save some headaches, trying to scratchbuild them.  Right now I am using different diameters of either styrene tube or aluminum tube.

I've been using ferrules for several years and, hopefully, there's a pic here of one I put together today real quick.  there's more to the process than just acquiring the ferrules.  Unfortunately, I don't feel like I'm able to share all the details because the originator of using ferrules is my friend Paul "Fatkidd" Styron and he makes/sells pre-wired distributors.  I can't get in the way of him making a buck selling his wares.  Sorry.   Fatkidd has a Facebook page that you can go to  https://www.facebook.com/pg/FatkiddHobbyProducts/photos/?ref=page_internal

DSCN3604.JPG

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was looking for an easier way to make a distributor so I could start wiring my models My plans were to use the ferrule as a distributor and glue in nine pieces of wire for the plug wires and coil wire. I wasn't sure what size ferrule to order so I just went ahead and ordered both 16 and 18 awg size. Hopefully those will work, if not, I'm sure someone else might have a use for them.