Model Cars Magazine Forum

Split-Personality Chopped '34 Ford 3-Window. UPDATE: IFS, Ford 9", etc.

Ace-Garageguy

Looking good and the NASCAR / truck arm rear suspension is an interesting choice when a full size car like this would probably run the ol' 4-bar and coil overs. Too bad there's not a Kugel style IRS available in scale, especially with their quick change center...

Looking at the rear 3/4 view, this thing needs a louvered deck lid. I've found that the Revell '32 5-Window lid is soft enough that it can carefully be re formed. I did that on a '32 3-Window which has a similar curve to a '33/'34. 

B)

Looking good and the NASCAR / truck arm rear suspension is an interesting choice when a full size car like this would probably run the ol' 4-bar and coil overs.  I agree...and it would be heavyish and not that nimble...but it's stout, simple to set up, and gives predictable handling. And as part of my psyche still includes an unreconstructed delinquent, I like the idea of being able to dump the clutch and smoke the tires at will, repeatedly.

Looking at the rear 3/4 view, this thing needs a louvered deck lid. I've found that the Revell '32 5-Window lid is soft enough that it can carefully be re formed. I did that on a '32 3-Window which has a similar curve to a '33/'34.  Louvers...yes. I'll have to look into that.   :D

PS. I've been making louvered almost-scale-thickness panels based on kit parts for a while. Need to do some for '34 Fords now. B)

DSCN0059_zpsb12b645f.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Those louvered panels are quite something, Bill!

Thanks. Yeah, I've about got it figured out. I suggested doing an article on the technique for the mag, but haven't heard back as yet. There's been a fair amount of interest here on the board about this and some other fiberglass work I've done.

• Like 1