Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ProShop PrePaint Compatability

I picked one up one of the '62 Catalina customs last night and plan on leaving it in the box stock White Pearl panels over Metallic Red base, but it needs a really good, shiny clear to make it pop, any recommendations as to what the stock paint might be compatable with?  Not like it hasn't had time to gas out and should be very well cured by this point.

amt-pre-painted-1962-pontiac-catalina-hardtop-custom-shaded-silver-red-6.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

I'd get another kit and test, test, test.  Anyone I've ever talked to who tried clear coating one of these things wound up with a mess, usually the metallic base color ended up running.  That was back when these first came out, but who knows if time has changed anything.  It takes 91% rubbing alcohol to get the paint off of these things, and they needed super quick drying paint so they could be masked for two-tones and silver exterior trim, so it's likely that some sort of acrylic lacquer was used.  Still, I wiuldn't chance anything (except maybe Future, and I'd try that on something small first).

I figure, worst case scenario, if the paint becomes ruined, it will give me an excuse to sand any mold lines or fill any divots on the casting. Then put an even better paint job on it. 

There ya go. I've got a Green-Go Duster I'm gonna TRY to build OOB one of these days, but if pooches get screwed, I'll just strip it down and paint it as regular. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a green '62 Catalina that has been cleared with two-part urethane; came out very nice except for a couple small fish eyes on the trunk lid (my fault; I tried polishing the body first). The roof was two-toned in Testor's dark green metallic and the clear didn't affect it either.

Edited by ChrisBcritter