Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1961 Buick Surfer car **IN PAINT NOW**

Darin Bastedo

What's planned?

I see all the Cobra Colors behind it

Actually the cobra colors are for other projects, This will be done as a not so ratty surf-rod. All black with Mike LaVallee style "Real Fire" coming out of the portholes. I will shave the door handles and give it the rake you see in the top picture. The steel wheels will be painted a contasting color, I haven't decided which though.

Here is a pic of the true flame decals I drew up for this car...

sidedecalweb-vi.jpg

And Dave, need to do a board like this:

6'2" Blue Lightning Bolt, Jerry Lopez shaped, with shark bite out of tail, surf leash cut off.

Yes, that would be mine, and the last time I was in water

Wish I didn't leave it there.

Have no idea where it is now

Back in 1981

Hana Maui

Memories!!!!

Or rather nightmares :-)

Those flames will look SWEET, Darin! And I like the rust/primer idea, a REAL surfer's car that's seen more than it's fair share of sea water and salt-air. Can't wait to see the end result.

And Gregg........YEE-OUCH!! You still have 10 toes and two feet, right? Man......

I just may have to add that board hanging out the rear window. Just for you, Mr. Dude! :wink:

Is it along the lines of these:

http://www.gerrylopezsurfboards.com/classic.htm

Yes, unfortunately, all true.

My surfing "career" ended at that moment in time.

Haven't been back in water since, but have been thinking about it lately

Dave, that is the exact shape, but was all blue, medium dark blue, white bolt

Enough of this already

not good for the mind

hope you don't mind

never mind

• 2 weeks later...

LAG, so you are one of the guys that keeps grabbing those from my reach while I at work. I just gotta win one of those!

CMD, I have to admit now, I stole your picture of the Buick wagon a couple of years ago and used it for my background until it was displaced by a picture of my grandaughter. I have wanted to build my own ever since I first laid eyes on yours. What is that saying about imitation being the purest fform of flatterty?

Darrin, looking good!!

• 4 years later...

And Dave, need to do a board like this:

6'2" Blue Lightning Bolt, Jerry Lopez shaped, with shark bite out of tail, surf leash cut off.

Yes, that would be mine, and the last time I was in water

Wish I didn't leave it there.

Have no idea where it is now

Back in 1981

Hana Maui

Memories!!!!

Or rather nightmares :-)

I know I just turned this thread into a zombie but.....

Hey Gregg, I think I seen your stick. It was just south of east cape!

Nah, just joking.

Shame about your stick. A genuine Lopez shaped Lighting Bolt would be a huge loss.

Hope you got back in the surf eventually. Once a surfer, always a surfer. Kia Kaha!

I have one of these as well. Unfortunately, someone glued all the customizing ###### onto it, and didn't do it too well.

I'm now trying to figure out how to remove it without wrecking the body. A couple of people said SuperClean seems to do a good job at breaking (or at least softening) glue bonds, so I might give it a shot. I'm also considering a chisel-tip X-Acto blade, and as the absolute last resort, a Dremel.

Once the corrective surgery is performed, it'll be restored to factory stock, and painted in Rio Red, better known as Honduras Maroon.

Charlie Larkin