Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'47 Chopped Chevy Altered..

progplastic

21 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

Regardless of the exact class, that is one fine looking build. I'd sure be proud to have it displayed in my man cave! And love that trunk "key".

Agreed! Great looking build!

I keep going back and admiring it.

Edited by shoopdog
add on

Thank for all the kind words.. you guys are right , it  would run in the altered class. This was built to compete with another great builder on this site, Brian Drumm. We are competing in 3 model shows . The first one was Nov of this year and the last one being I believe Sept '18. I designed a front end for it from a '41 chevy pickup, but I couldn't get the look I was going for in the time allotted for the build. So, I just left it off and called it finished. 

/// Steve Martin. The trunk "key" is just a old chrome screwdriver i found in a parts box. I cleaned up the flash and hit it with red and blue Sharpies to look like an old Craftsman.

///  Steve Hardesty , I'm glad you like it. I am proud of it, thank you.

///  Keith, that is probably the best complement I ever got for my builds. " I keep going back and admiring it" .Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, 10thumbs said:

Well presented, nicely photographed....again.

Some day, I'd like a hint or two on how you prepare the tires!  Excellent.   Plus, the rims are actually 'inside' of the tire.  Just wonderful!

Great job.

Thanks again for the compliments, It's nice to hear opinions of my builds. The rear tires are out of AMT rail kits ( Garlits ).. i put them on a home made chuck made from an old screwdriver. I attach it to a drill, put the tire on it and run 400 grit sand paper , then 600 grit on the tread surface. I then run 800 grit on the side walls. Then I clean off the excess rubber, apply Shabo dry transfer lettering. Then hit the tire sidewall with Testers dull coat to "set" the lettering.  I do the same to the front, but just the tread as they arn't run at such a heavy strain as the rear tires are on a real dragster. As for the rims, the rear are 2 piece. The inner rim is from Fireball resin ( great stuff, check out his carbs. ) cleaned up, lugs drilled out and studs inserted.  Then that is glued to an aluminum outer rim i got years ago, I can't remember where. The front rim and tires are from AMT Winged Express kit. The only thing i added was an old custom knock off center.