Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Delage GP - a what ?

absmiami

Hi Absmiami  :)

I discover your thread and I'm amazed by your skills, and your resilience and perseverance since 4 years 👍

However, I remain dubious about your attempt to make engine turning on the body panels.

Indeed, in spite of all the commendable efforts you made, I find (but that's just me, and I hope you'll forgive my frankness) that (and this is normal considering the 1:24 scale), the aspect you obtained so far is both a bit rough if compared to the delicacy of the work produced at the time by Delage, and also out of scale.

52354992536_c02a205443_b.jpg

I wonder if it would not be better to try another method, to simulate this aspect, for example:
- 1/ painting the background color, this very pale blue, then,  once varnished and well dried
- 2/ Wrap the body painted parts evenly and tightly in a very thin mesh fabric, I'm thinking of stockings for example.
- 3/ And then try to airbrush through the stockings a silver-like color mixed with the blue of the base color (to get a slight and brighter difference of tone), in a very light way, hoping that the paint will go through the stockings, and mark very small dots that would simulate the center of the swirl of your "engine turning".
- 4/ Then varnish again.

If this may help 🤔

T - actually I considered your method - but decided that I wanted the rows of turned metal - although these rows are way over-scale  - so I just consider it a “scale casualty”.  Anyhow - Stay on board - i think you’ll like it when it comes together …

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, absmiami said:

T - actually I considered your method - but decided that I wanted the rows of turned metal - although these rows are way over-scale  - so I just consider it a “scale casualty”.  Anyhow - Stay on board - i think you’ll like it when it comes together

I don't doubt it for a second :)

As the rows or lines or swirls are applied - the wooden tool - made fr a tooth pick - wears down and has to be replaced - so in picture 4 - the second to top row was made with the worn tool - and the top row was applied with the new one ….  You can see the difference….  

9A94ECAB-8168-47AB-A3EC-BC65D6C67D78.jpeg

00C6A0CD-40AC-46F9-BC12-440DD920B3C6.jpeg

6C76B67A-D212-4D7D-A659-D62C6DDE86A6.jpeg

62CF6B4F-A783-4BC2-AE6F-7322E8752523.jpeg

4AA3E4EE-F1AB-4B2D-BBEF-470A0EE3041D.jpeg

C5593005-0D8D-4E83-8E3A-17B617A172BF.jpeg

You're as stubborn as le when you've decided something :)

Nice job and finally  good looking aspect !

It remembre me when I decided to drill all the holes of the gril of my  Bugatti T50 Pocher 1/8 scale: I hadn't at this time any honeycomb mesh, so I drilled the plastic in the holes between the meshes: more than 1000 0.6 mm holes hand drilled. But the result was worth the pain :)

7 hours ago, absmiami said:

Tragic that the various T50 and T57 series Bugattis remain unkitted in 24th scale - that’s gotta change some day … I absolutely love the Atalante …

Sorry mate ! the T50 Bugatti is available as a Heller Kit in 1:24. I've one of them in my stash :)

The kit is always continued by the brand, and you can find it either new (in France: Here), either second-hand (for instance on Ebay USA)

Obviously the kit is sold at an insane price in US : almost $90 when it's 21 € in Europe)

It would be cheaper to buy it in Europe and pay the shipping fees 😉

Edited by CrazyCrank

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

Crazy - you are right of course - Heller does kit the T50 - but dosn’t that just make you want the others?  Have you built your T50?  

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

The Heller T50 was a large car with a 5 litre engine - larger than the DOHCs in the T57 series - but Ive always suspected that the kit engine was too tall or over-scale ….  thierry - what do you think ?

347B9D01-0464-4899-B6C2-BB48218E31CB.jpeg

6CCF6034-43E1-4922-BFCC-294144793E84.jpeg

357AEBCE-68D6-4B30-AB5E-79A966D4D653.jpeg

I built it as a teenager, but lost it during my successive movings.

I don' t remember to have seen such an issue, and have not yet measured the dimensions of the one which is in my stash.

Asap, I'll do that on my kit and compare with the Pocher 1/8 size.

I can see that your engine block is about1.4 inches so 3.55 cm.

I just measured the length  of the same part on my T50 Pocher 1:8, and I found about 10 cm, so 3.33 inches.

I looks rather correct, don't you think so ?

Obviously, this does not mean that the block is the right height, just that it is the same length

The Pocher engines are not- in my opinion - reliably scale accurate - the anwer - is to measure these things ourselves - which until recently  - has been difficult to do -

my I phone has a photo measurment app - its either cheap or free - cant recall -

now - when i come across something I’m really interested in - Like the Scarab grand prix engine on display at

Rev’s in Naples - I take some photos with some measurements …. Do you have this app ??

DF62A0DE-74EE-4E71-8D31-D4EBF430AB44.jpeg