Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Delage GP - a what ?

absmiami

• 4 weeks later...

back to work

using a sandwich of renshape - the brown material and .010 evergreen  white sheet - to replace the forward section of the chassis tray

the part is thinner and will have a shape - a slight bulge - to make room for the fr suspension leaf springs - which run directly under the chassis rail up front ....  

the bulge in these parts is not apparent on the scale drawings but is visible on the photos of the restored car on page 1

IMG_0718.JPG

0721.jpg

IMG_0727.JPG

gotta make the same changes to the fairing attached to the section of chassis rail forward of the radiator

so the renshape/evergreen sandwich replaces the thick resin fairing and will again be shaped with the bulge

renshape is easily shaped with sanding sticks to get a precise shape

also filling in the fairing ahead of the radiator - again with renshape

the  casting is accurate for the '25 team car - but the restored car that I am modeling does not have these openings

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

none of the above makes sense til you see picture 0733

this is a mock up  -  once the radiator and front rail section is glued to the main chassis casting - not yet -

the leaf spring will both locate the axle and act as a brace for the chassis assembly

the leaf spring pictured is a casting from another project - I'll either use it or make something like it ....

without the shaped fairings -  the leaf springs can't sit under the chassis rails - where they belong ...

starting to think about the axle - can use the white metal casting in the Finecast '27 Delage kit as a guide

make it in nickel silver or shaped evergreen plastic  ??  dunno

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

RRrrenshape:  bought a half a slab over ten years ago - expensive - but it will last me a long time ...

ebay is apparently an option for smaller amounts/pieces - at least one ebay seller offers board end "cutoffs" at what should be a decent price

haven't tried it yet - but if you do - let me know - ask to try the brown stuff - 450 - first - that's what I've been using - but you can also order a "harder" substance

the pictures show the second leaf spring in place - the gray casting - almost ready to glue the radiator/frame assembly to the main frame rails ... 

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

but first the front axle ...

using the white metal Finecast kit part for the '27 delage GP car as a reference

began with .118 Raboesch wh styrene tube - tapered the ends with files and sanding sticks -

marked a guideline to center the bends - inserted brass rod - cut notches in tube

- and bent by hand with the help of a pin vice that is open-ended - so that I can insert the axle assembly

then glued and sanded the bends and checked on the drawings - this should work .....

the axle and spindle is one single assembly - no need to design working spindles because the mechanical brake assembly makes pose-able scale turning front wheels impractical

next have to figure out a secure axle attachment part on the top of the leaf springs ....

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

thanks for the compliment - but if you want to really see some Delage detail - check this builders blog out .....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014899-delage-15-s-8-grand-prix-18/

this guy is gonna give me nightmares ...

anyway  -  the resin cast spindle/drum brake assembly will be used in modified form -with separate brake drum housings with sharper detail

and I glued a short piece of filed evergreen plastic - fr larger section tube - to the top of leaf spring to grab the axle

the real axle was just welded onto the top of the leaf spring - but this way I think I can get a safe axle attachment w/out a lot of extra glue

- at least that is the plan ...

and I think I have just located some tiny cast "castle" style nut/bolt assemblies - been searching for these suckers for years - more later  

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

-  dragged kicking and screaming into the new century ....  -

wow - I just learned how to use auto-correct  -  how exciting !

the part used to locate the front axle to the spring is cut fr tubing, filed, and glued

the short length of tube is inserted into the part when gluing - to approximate the correct angle on the axle ...

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

the radiator shell needs a radiator

sawed up some scrap renshape - actually, there is no such thing as "scrap" renshape  ...

sanded to shape - the surface will get some photo-etched radiator patterns from the accessory parts drawer ...

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

so why am I messing around with the radiator shell  ??

While studying photos to make the radiator screen I realized that the shape of the radiator shell on the 1925 car - the French GP winner -

is different than the shell of the restored car - which was the 24/25 interim car ...

the restored car - see the pics on page 1 - has a more "formal" shape - with the badge on flat  sheet-metal facing straight ahead across the top of the shell

so I filed away a portion of the top of the radiator shell and replaced it with some renshape sheet ...

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

the radiator screen - the 1924-25 car had one - and the restored car does also

don't know how the '25 grand prix winner managed without ....

started with heated .020 nickel silver rod that was bent around a pattern made from evergreen sheet - it has a dark appearance due to the heat treatment

had to try this twice - got a more correct shape the second try - and used the tip of some brass strip to solder the tips of the rod together

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

the screen is photo-etched pattern made by Acu-Stion

it's cross-hatched and has some three dimensional etching - it's got the best scale appearance that I have found

they make a series of different patterns - good stuff

then soldered to the silver frame - with some initial cleanup

some pooled solder on the top and the bottom - have to live with this

- I can't heat it and "flow" it off the screen - that's OK

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

the screen needs some more cleaning/fettling

but it will sit in front of the shell on some small pegs at the base and two protruding from the top of the rad shell

and I'll add a photo-etched radiator pattern to the front and back of the renshape radiator  ...

and merry Mother's day ....

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

.... tiny update

acu-stion also makes a photo-etch pattern that is correct for many pre-war racing radiators cores

such as this Delage and your typical bugatti  etc - maybe Millers also - gotta check

sort of an egg crate shape - way different than modern racing radiator surfaces

this will get painted or sharpied black and used in the front and back of the radiator core ....

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG