Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Charger project!!!

cruz

Thanks Jay but I am still on the "idle" mode on this one, I have been working on a part time job that I just recently started and it has taken a bit of time off the bench, I am getting things straight though and as soon as I can I will be posting some progress on this thing, believe me I would love to get this thing finally done also!!! B):D I don't have much to go but then again I am still working on the final details of this model and don't know exactly when it will be completed.

well, take your time!! because this is one sweet build!! i will be patiently waiting!! :D
Thanks my friend, I don't know how many of you out there have been going through the same thing that I am but everything is getting so expensive that I had to go for a second job, thank God it pays good which is the reason that I am sacrificing myself and my modelling but you know how it is, we gotta pay the rent!!! :D:D Like everything, I will have to work around it to get some glue time in....

• 3 weeks later...

Now, that's a thing of beauty man, just remind me not to compete against you in the Replica Stock division! B) I believe what you say about the back window, specially when you have an old sheet of BMF, it won't stick as good as a fresh one. Truly, the combination of colors in conjunction with the BMF sets this thing apart, hope you can finish it soon.

Geez Louise.....Marcos, that looks stunning man.. ;)

Killa shine, plus faultless foil work = AWESOME !

Hey, I got a box ready to pack full of bodies, you mind if I post 'em over to you for paint and foiling..? :D:D

Look forward to seeing this one completed mate.

cheers

Greg

Hey, I'm jake and im fairly new here, but i've got a question.... what do u use to wet sand and polish the model cars

i can wet sand and buff a real 1:1 car but using the lacquer system im kinda scared to start sanding on it since the clear looks to lay down super thin even with 4 coats and my big buffer would melt the models in a second lol. i haven't really had to buff any of my models since i usually shoot them with car paint and i can get the clear to lay down pretty glassy, but since i haven't been able to use my automotive paint since lack of a shop now and air compressor, im stuck with the rattle cans again

and my last model i brushed the paint on since it was all getting sanded down to look like it was just pulled from a junkyard lol and it was a fun build sinc i didnt have to worry about messing it up hahaha

that charger looks great by the way.

I use the Micro Mesh system which consists of 6 different level sanding clothes. They start at 3200 and end at 12000. You do have to make sure to have enough paint or clear on your model before starting to use this system. If you look around the forum, you will see that everybody has a way of polishing. Personally, I like to use the Maguiar's cleaner wax after using the clothes and after that I like to use a quality chamois to bring out the ultimate shine. This chamois trick I learned from Bill Geary, I always give him credit and thanks for the advice! :) I just dab a little wax on my finger, rub it in a circular motion and just take it off with the chamois. What I like most about the chamois is that it doesn't leave any kind of scratches like flannel and even cotton do. What I like about the Maguiar's wax cleaner is that it does 2 things, eliminates swirl marks and waxes at the same time.

The best thing to do is try it on a spare body and just practice and practice, before you know it you will be a pro like the rest of the guys here on the board!!! B):)

Well, I tried doing everything you said but I still get a lot of scratches at the end. Question, do you wet sand when doing it, I did it dry. Would that affect it? I tried it on a model that I had stashed away for about six months so I know the paint is dry. :lol: Any ideas? :lol:

i went and got the micro mesh pads, and they were woth every penny, i have about 5 spare bodies that all shine pretty well, but i still need to go out and buy some of that other stuff

cotto....try it with water and end at the finest grit u have, the water acts as a lubricant so u dont get deep scratches, and it helps the life of the sandpaper...after ur done wet sanding it should have a decent shine to it, and using cotton cloth u'll end up with some small scratches, so then try the trick that marcos suggested. i personally dont know how well it works, but it looks like it works pretty well

My suggestion always for the new guys at trying to polish is to try it dry first just to be able to get a feeling of it, wet sanding is more for the experienced person and has to be monitored a lot closer, believe me, you will go right through your paint if you are not careful. If you have some spare bodies that would be best. I personally like to wet sand it, like Jake-off says, the pads will last longer and at least in my opinion, the results are better. I have known a few modelers that use the pads dry and get perfect results so in reality it doesn't matter. I have even heard of a few guys using liquid detergent when using them wet for a smoother feel and better results. The key word here is practice.

I always start with a 3200 but if you have a smooth paintjob from the start, you can definetly start with the higher grids like the 3600 or even the 4000. I have also known of guys just using the 3200 or the 3600 and going straight to the polishing, with so many good polishing products available nowadays sometimes there is no need to follow through with all the pads. For me is more of a personal choice, I like using all my pads but also enjoy going through the process. To some people polishing is a tedious and boring process. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to do a little more work on my Charger yesterday and the day before, hopefully I can complete this thing in 2 to 3 weeks!!!

68Charger019.jpg

68Charger021.jpg

68Charger022-1.jpg

68Charger024-1.jpg

Some of the pictures are a little dark, sorry about that guys, I will take some more later.

I have finally put in a bit of time on this thing, shouldn't be too long now before completion. As you guys already know, the side marker lights for this kit are decals, not a very good idea. I had some extra photo-etch parts laying around and hopefully these will help me out in this department.

68charger017-1.jpg

I am using these little round parts and joining them together with the smaller ones to make one unit and somehow make these marker lights pop out a bit more. I painted them and will post them later after the model is complete.

68charger018-1.jpg

I also completed tail light section for the rear, foiling this part was a nightmare but I am happy with the results!!!

68charger014.jpg

68charger021-2.jpg

Here is the chassis with the engine in place and the rear shocks installed!!

68charger008.jpg

The radiator section was a bit tough to install, I was lucky not to glue the chassis onto the body until I got this section completed.

68charger030.jpg

68charger031.jpg

68charger032.jpg

68charger033.jpg

I also added the rear decal body stripe, I love the way it looks, gives the model a lot more character!!! :rolleyes: Hopefully I can finally finish this thing by the end of this week, right now a lot of glue is drying!!!

Marcos. I'm looking at what is probably the most beautiful 1/25 scale '68 Charger ever! The paint and color combo really make this build jump out and grab your attention! Your right about the tailight panel, I don't want to think about how much foil I wasted until I was satisfied with mine. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Marcos. I'm looking at what is probably the most beautiful 1/25 scale '68 Charger ever! The paint and color combo really make this build jump out and grab your attention! Your right about the tailight panel, I don't want to think about how much foil I wasted until I was satisfied with mine. Thanks for sharing your progress!
Come on William, you did a terrific job on your Charger also, it will look very similar to yours, only your color is different. I was a little dissapointed on the chassis fit to the body at the end but then again, most of the American models have that issue.

This is just beautiful...it brings back many memories for me. Just out of high school, my good friend had a 1969 (I know wrong year, but close), that was a dead ringer for your build except his had the rally wheel "mag" not dog dish wheels. But the color, roof and interior were this car. You sure are doing it justice. Great job. Great detail work. You are getting everything just as it was back in the late 60's. I am very impressed with the quality of this one.